Video file simple editor/trimmer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if it's appropriate to post this here, but I am trying to find a simple (preferably free) Windows program that allows you to just cut a scene out of the middle of a video file; something without all the other bells and whistles. Does anyone know of such a thing?

I've found programs that allow you to trim the beginning or end, but not easily just snip out of the middle.\

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Windows movie maker seems like a good choice.

LeBon Bush and Tim S like this.
  4. Peace N. Love

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is Quicktime still available for Windows? I do simple stuff like that all the time with QT on a Mac, and it's simple. It's nice not to have to open a big video editor for small changes.

If you're the type that enjoys a command line interface, there's also the FFMPEG library/command. I think that's what a lot of GUI tools are using underneath anyway.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I know you can simply copy a section of a video file to get a new file of only that section.

Serious editing, I don't know.

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Be sure to get the one w/a timeline -- version 2.6 I think.

8. Peace N. Love

We've had issues with the newer version of Movie Maker - it seems like the video it produces doesn't fill the screen and also sometimes there's a noticeable drop in resolution.

9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

For some common file types (like MP4) you can actually use the Windows 10 integrated "photos" program. If you right click a video file and "open with > Photos", the file will open and play in Photos, but there'll also be an option to "edit and create" which includes a trim function with sliders so you can trim from beginning and/or end of the file then save. I'm not sure of all of the file types/codecs it supports.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Chris DeVoe and Peace N. Love like this.
  10. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Avidemux

It allows basic editing without re-encoding so it's quick and no loss in quality. It's free.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It's also baffling, from an interface standpoint, in my opinion. I don't recommend it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

For a free, basic editor I settled on OpenShot after trying lots. Whether this suits you or not, I don't know. I think it's a good middle ground between too much and too little. YMMV

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I actually find it pretty easy to use, especially for what the OP wants to do, but whatever.:shrug:

14. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

jbmcb likes this.
  17. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I like Avidemux too, though like any lossless cutter it only cuts on keyframes (of m4v files) so may be off by a couple seconds.

beat_truck likes this.
  19. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

One word: Virtualdub

- Kevin

mj_patrick, Exotiki and showtaper like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

There's a good reason why I stick with the program I do, Grass Valley Edius, because it just doesn't crash.

I'm someone who's cut hundreds of hours of video, and am fairly skilled with Windows - and I've never been able to get a project done in Resolve without it crashing. But I absolutely wouldn't recommend it for somebody needing simple stuff. Or anyone without a highly skilled IT Department to build a super powerful machine.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Though that costs money. The basic version of Resolve is free, and it runs on three different operating systems. If you just use it for simple stuff, it's not that hard to use. I knew Final Cut Pro pretty well 20 years ago, and I picked up editing in Resolve in an hour. The rest of it is... a bit involved.

I cut with Resolve on just a laptop, and it's fine with DNxHD or ProRes or other simple formats. There's a lot to like about it, vs. (say) Premiere or Avid -- the editing programs that dominate the post industry. Grass Valley is getting ready to go under, last I checked, so be careful.

Belden Selling Grass Valley | TV Technology (2019)

22. Peace N. Love

So I tried OpenShot and it seemed to work very well for just cutting bits out of a video (an avi file in this case). Was also impressed how seamless the cuts looked.

I didn't investigate the program beyond this task, but found it pretty straightforward to use.

Chris DeVoe and Tim S like this.
  23. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yup, that's the replacement for the Movie Maker, I think.

I either use that or OpenShot (well, okay, mostly it's OpenShot these days) whenever I need to do something with video editing for uni.

Chris DeVoe and jtiner like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I installed Resolve on a fresh installation of Windows 10, on a laptop with 32 gigs of RAM - loaded some media into it - and it crashed. Even though it's free I have to place some value on my time, and if I was able to actually cut something with it without it crashing I might have a better opinion of it.

I was never able to understand why Belden bought Grass Valley in the first place. The thing I like about Edius is that, even if they go out of business, the software will continue to work. And as I said, it's been rock solid for me. My average editing project uses four different codecs, and I don't have to transcode any of them - it cuts them all native.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.