Video Game Music Discoveries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Mar 4, 2016.

1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

The 'Streets of Rage' and 'Outrun' soundtracks are probably my favorites. The Castlevania games pump out some good ones as well, I'm particularly partial to 'Symphony of thr Night.'

AidanB likes this.
  2. The Streets of Rage series (or Bare Knuckle, as it is known in its native Japan) is synonymous with composer Yuzo Koshiro, who also contributed to two of my favourite videogame soundtracks, Shenmue and Slap Fight MD. In fact, his work from these was recently picked up by a small independent label Data for long overdue audiophile quality vinyl release from transfers of his original electronic files:

Products »

3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Oh, can I give a shout out to Frank Klepacki, who hasn't put out a single stinker in a fairly long career?

He really grabbed my attention via his soundtrack for Command & Conquer: Red Alert. It had a number of rockers, but a great selection of more ambient, funky/jazzy tracks too.

nosliw likes this.
  4. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

My all time favourite:

5. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The Mega Man 2 soundtrack and the theme song from this NES classic are my favorites:

6. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Go here and listen to the music while you play games. This is likely the largest arcade in the states. Close to 500 games and still expanding. 15 bucks all day, with in/out privileges. It is just outside of Chicago.
    Games List | Galloping Ghost Arcade »

7. UnionGeneral

UnionGeneral Well-Known Member

8. BringMeTheHorizon

BringMeTheHorizon Member

"You're Not Here" by Akira Yamaoka (from Silent Hill 3) !

There is a lot of great alternative rock music in this iconic horror game, but this song stands out and is the most popular one from the series

Runicen likes this.
  9. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

My favorite video game music series ,Final Fantasy:love:

AidanB likes this.
  10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Akira Yamaoka's soundtracks for Silent Hill 3 and 4 deserve to be regarded as classic albums in their own right. Great composition and vibe between them. It's also not for nothing that Steven Wilson even gave him a shout out a number of years ago for his sound design on those games.

11. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Taito's in-house band, Zuntata, created some classics:

12. Grow Fins

Grow Fins Well-Known Member

Great thread that brings back a lot of memories!

Some of the most memorable soundtracks for me were Dune II, Frank Klepacki's original Command and Conquer score, and the jazzy soundtrack to Transport Tycoon. Also, Trent Reznor's soundtrack for Quake still manages to get me slightly queasy recalling the early-3d induced motion sickness, and the generally mildly unpleasant atmosphere of that particular game. I'm sure that every single one of them has planted something that's reflected in my present tastes in music...

Runicen likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master Forum Resident

The first game soundtrack that I ever bought was the one to FFVII. It was four cd's of music, and it was incredible!

There's a band called The Minibosses that do NES tunes. They're really good, you should check them out on Youtube!

Morton LaBongo and Runicen like this.
  14. AidanB

AidanB Well-Known Member

My favorite video game soundtracks of all time, courtesy of Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda respectively:

ScienceFriction likes this.
  15. AidanB

AidanB Well-Known Member

16. AidanB

AidanB Well-Known Member

Another favorite by Michiru Yamane:

17. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Forum Resident

Excellent soundtrack to a more recent RPG. Varied styles of music throughout. The game's creator and score composer, Toby Fox, did virtually all the work on this game save for a few character designs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    BeatleJWOL and Runicen like this.
  18. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Forum Resident

Beautiful rendition of an old favorite.

AidanB likes this.
  19. AidanB

AidanB Well-Known Member

Love the soundtrack for Gen 2, especially with the remakes.

drivingfrog likes this.
  20. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I often wish Mary Elizabeth McGlynn would quit voice acting and just start a band. In an alternate timeline she could've easily become one of the greatest female vocalists in rock.

Runicen likes this.
  21. AidanB

AidanB Well-Known Member

Nah, then we wouldn't have the greatest dub in all of anime, Cowboy Bebop!

Faders Up likes this.
  22. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Well-Known Member

My sons play a lot of sports games on PS4, particularly MLB and NHL, and the songs those franchises license have introduced them to some good old, non-top-40 rock and pop music. But the most out of left field song my 11 year-old has latched on to came from NBA 2K:

23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh man, when I was like 8 years old, Sonic Adventure 2 came out and for some reason my dumb child brain became obsessed with the music in it. Fantastic soundtrack/songs, imo!!! Especially the Rouge The Bat levels. So hummable. :)

Runicen likes this.
  24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Had a lot of fun with Undertale and its soundtrack. Still smile when tracks from it come up on shuffle. "Temmie Village" is probably one of my favorites. I just wonder how Fox came up with that one.

I've been indulging my inner child lately more than is healthy and listening to a lot of limited release Zelda and Kirby soundtracks. While both franchises involve a lot of retreads of older musical themes, they always get interesting new arrangements. Shame is, quite a few of these games never get official soundtrack releases. This is a prime example of "Would you put this out on CD so I can give you money?!"

Kirby's Epic Yarn

drivingfrog likes this.
  25. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Well-Known Member

The little indie game "Thomas was Alone" had an absolutely incredible soundtrack. I played through the game in a single sitting, in large part just to hear more of the soundtrack.