Views on bands continuing when members have passed away.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I for one can't stand it.

Queen without Freddie is just stupid.

The Beach Boys (Mike Love version ) is beyond stupid.

Imagine Nirvana without Cobain!!!

What does everyone else think?

Maybe I'm alone in this.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It depends. ;)

Depends on who is gone, their role in the band, who they'd be replaced with, etc.

I initially thought that AC/DC without Bon Scott would never work, but it did. However, I agree re Queen.

Frosst, impalaboy, Jimmy B. and 7 others like this.
  3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

In the case of the mighty Temptations,it's a testament to the resilience of Otis Williams,the only group in soul music history with five lead singers.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

If done right, it's OK by me.

Terrapin mentioned AC/DC and Bon Scott. There's also keyboardist Jon Lord retiring from Deep Purple in 2001, and being replaced by Don Airey; with Lord's blessing. When Jon Lord passed away in 2012, Deep Purple easily avoided the wrath of Diorama. :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think it's okay.

klockwerk, Sean and Elliottmarx like this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Life has to go on at some point. :shrug:

Mark7, klockwerk, Hadean75 and 8 others like this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Don't care as long as the music is good, even if it's way different than before. Changing the name might help. New Order is fantastic, and I'm a big Joy Division fan. Love the Stones & Floyd too

8. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

If the music is awesome then all is forgiven. If not, then they made a bad decision.

9. Diorama

Yeah true about AC/DC.

Floyd for me was always better minus Syd, I do like Syd in Pink Floyd tho.

10. Diorama

I agree about changing the name in the case of New Order like you said. That I don't mind.

longdist01 and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

It depends.
    Examples where I can except the group:
    Stones (yes Brian left a month earlier, but it's so close it might as be replacing a dead member)
    AC/DC
    Metalica(to a point)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

keyXVII and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

It totally depends.

Alice in Chains without Staley? Ridiculous. Change the name.
    Chili Peppers with Frusciante after Slovak died? Far better band.

13. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

[​IMG]
    JOHN PEPYS: Died in a bizarre gardening accident the police said was "better left unsolved". First of many.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So if one member from a 5-piece band dies, then the other 4 can't play those songs for the rest of their lives?

Bands can continue and fans can decide if they support or ignore. Too much good stuff out there to get caught up on silly drama.

Some acts I still follow and other I ignore out of hand, BUT IT's case by case. For instance, I'm OK with the Roger/Pete version of The Who, but the Pixies without Kim Deal is dead to me.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Doors without Jim Morrison. They tried but hmm...

Frosst, sekaer, Atmospheric and 11 others like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

With Metallica, I know this is sacrilege to many folks, but aside from good work on Master of Puppets, which is probably my second favorite album of theirs, I was never a fan of Cliff's playing. I'm not a huge fan of their first two albums in general (more sacrilege), although I don't dislike the first two albums, but particularly some of the live stuff from the Cliff days is pretty rough in my opinion--and not just on Cliff's part.

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm glad Type O was laid to rest along with Peter...

18. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I think it's totally up to the remaining members. They are free to do whatever they wish with their music and their band. But I reserve the right to ignore them if I don't like it. Which is very likely if it's a key member who dies/leaves.

I totally respect bands like Zep and the Grateful Dead who chose not to continue under the band name when a key person died.

My fave band is Yes, but I have largely ignored them since they sacked Jon Anderson. I personally find it disrespectful to even call the band Yes now that Squire is gone. The band has no original members left.

But It's their choice to continue and my opinion is for me alone. There are many who still enjoy Yes music played by the current lie-up (oops- line-up; a Freudian slip???). Who am I to say they should call it quits? I do wish they'd do like the Dead and just slightly alter the name though. The Affirmatives; Oui; Yesterdays; etc. But it's their band and totally their right to do what they please. I can dislike it, but that should mean nothing to anyone but me.

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

They're musicians. They have the right to continue to earn a living.

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Half of the original Alice in Chains lineup is dead (including lead singer Layne Staley), but their latter-day output is still really good.

Fullbug, Dudley Morris, FVDnz and 7 others like this.
  21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Also, William DuVall does a better job singing the classic material live than Layne ever did in concert.

FVDnz, Roberto899, Purple and 2 others like this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I agree Queen without Freddy is just stupid. I'd be like the Stones without Mick!

AC/DC was one of those rarities that worked.

Zeppelin did the right thing.......

CrazyCatz, tyinkc, Binni and 3 others like this.
  23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I hope you know Yes is touring with Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabin since Howe's verson of the band is on hiatus.

Instead of bands continuing on after the deaths of key members, how's about band members leaving due to reasons of health.

Malcolm Young comes to mind.

JimW likes this.
  24. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

The show must go on!

I saw the Doors 21st Century (with Ian Astbury) at the Orpheum in Boston, and it was an unbelievable show. They absolutely crushed it. Later incarnations weren't as good, but I wasn't born until 1974, so it was as close as I was ever going to come.

Queen's a tough one, but in most cases I think it's ok.

25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I do know ARW has been billing themselves as Yes, but as much as I believe Jon is the most critical element in the group, they are still not Yes imo. For me, it requires Jon, Chris and Steve to be the real Yes. But that's just me.

I would go see ARW if they came near me though, even though I skipped Yes when they played right downtown a few years back. They played an amphitheater on the outside mall and I was going to just go and stand outside and listen, but I even decided against that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.