Vince Gill joins the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cber1517, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Who else is in the band-keep seeing conflicting reports. Fry, Walsh, TBS ?

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The only names I see in the article (great reporting, LA Times) are Frey, Gill, and Henley. One would assume Walsh and Schmit as well, but no verification from that source.

3. maclen

maclen Senior Member

This would have been a cooler move if Glen was still alive. No doubt that Vince is a great guitar player and would add a lot to the band. But now it seems just like a money grab. Which based on the comments here will work like a dream. I guess this takes the pressure off Glen's son.

snepts likes this.
  4. zen

zen Senior Member

It's been a money grab for a long time.

longaway, John Adam, jimbutsu and 6 others like this.
  5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

These guys should give it a rest.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I heard an interview with Henley on a local radio station where he confirmed that Walsh and Schmit were part of the band. He also conceded that Frey's son was onboard even though he didn't wish to announce that at the time of the interview.

So it's:

Deacon Frey
    Don Henley
    Joe Walsh
    Timothy B. Schmit
    Vince Gill

and other sidemen at this point.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Further

Further Forum Resident

Actually, Vince Gill is better than any musician on that stage. He is a phenomenol player. I think a lot of people don't really consider Vince to be a monster guitarist because he doesn't usually show off too much but he is more than capable when he wants to! I've heard him play things that left my jaw on the floor.

8. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

9. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I saw Vince do this live back in the 90's. It was incredible:

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Or it could be as simple as Henley wishes to continue to perform as do Walsh and Schmit and see an opportunity to do that. Of course money is involved but if we can take our cynic glasses off for a second it might be that these guys still enjoy performing these songs. Who knows? But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. People will either pay for the experience or they won't. My feeling is most will.

11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I agree that Vince Gill is a great musician. But I have simply no interest whatever in seeing the Eagles with Gill; or Queen with Rogers, or Deep Purple with Morse, and on and on . . .

12. Further

Further Forum Resident

I hear you there! My guess is that Vince is doing this more for fun than anything else. He'll certainly be able to help them nail the harmonies and it would be interesting to hear him and Joe Walsh rip it up together but this sure ain't the Eagles.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. Or Dead and Company which in reality is a "A Tribute To The Greatful Dead" now down to what, two original band members? Please. Dark Star Orchestra is a better (more authentic) tribute band than the remnants of the original GD.

Walter Sobchak and townsend like this.
  14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In fact, Vince even covered "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Thread Eagles tribute album in the 1990s.

DanBNash, zebop and Fullbug like this.
  15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Great player and singer.

keyXVII likes this.
  16. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I guess Vince will be out of the house a bit more this year, right Brad?

BradOlson likes this.
  17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Gill's albums range from country to blues to gospel to rock to bluegrass. He is very talented and while his guitar playing is tops, I think his velvet smooth voice is also a strength. This is a good match with the Eagles and frankly a more interesting match than adding other obvious choices like Jackson Browne.

The only downside is Eagles may be a bit cut throat and demanding for Vince's relaxed, confident and easy going schtick.

I was also secretly hoping Vince would join Union Station and tour with Alison Krauss.

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I would've prefered Chris Hillman or Ritchie Furay. No actually I would've prefered a Byrds and Buffalo Springfield reunion.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Gill is a monster talent. We can only hope that the Eagles introduce him to mind altering drugs so that he finally starts making interesting music.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree.
    He's kind of like George Benson in the sense that he's a really good guitar player but his pop style vocal things have pushed the guitar playing aside for more general recognition .
    Vince can play, that's for sure.

head_unit and dalem5467 like this.
  21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The true "Take it to the Limit Tour"

22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Good thing they retired the official Grateful Dead name for the touring band, eh?
    Notice also I spelled the band's name correctly as well.
    No one in DSO is as authentic for reppin' the Grateful Dead as Weir and Billy. Heck, no Dark Starling even matches Mickey Hart's awesome pedigree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Fullbug and ducksdeluxe like this.
  23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Thank you for that.

I laughed.

24. Yeah, I've heard him as well, as far back as Pure Prairie League. Using the term 'as good as, only implies whats needed in terms of what this project holds, not a label placed upon his overall perceived 'greatness'.

He has made his mark in a huge way, so I see no need for anyone to feel like he needs to be defended, when total approval was expressed.

head_unit likes this.
  25. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Cutthroat about what? It's 2017, everybody is pushing 70, Glenn Frey is dead, there aren't going to be anymore albums or chart concerns . . . everyone will be arriving on time and picking up a check.

DanBNash, Comet01 and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.