Vince Gill joins the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cber1517, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Without another big-name to add to the ticket prices (which are likely $450 apiece at this point, based upon their prior "ripping-off" of fans (the 2010 Hollywood Bowl concert was a joke - these guys are terrible)...Now, they can get "2017 Eagles Ticket Prices" with Vince Gill.
    It's all a big plate of suck.

snepts likes this.
  2. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

No disrespect to Vince Gill but all Don Henley needs to do now is be in a reality TV show like his mentor Gene Simmons.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  3. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

The Pure Prairie League connection puts this in context for me.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I guess Don should re-think the name and it sounds just the same, plus if Bernie isn't included (as per Glenn's statement of working with Bernie, after "History of" touring wound done!)

Sounds very well .... Eagills

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

The other cool think about Vince is he is not really associated with any one hit song.

head_unit likes this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

When I Call Your Name is considered his signature hit in the country music world but he had so many other hits that most people think of but he could perform a covers show and not sing the hits and people would love the show.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How about The Eagles with GILLan (Ian)?

Actually the Morse Purple shows I've heard have been good; I've never seen that lineup myself. Would like to, since this may be their last trek here, but I believe I'm out of town and other cities don't work either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

THAT would be really cool!

Farmer Mike likes this.
  9. But he'll only get .01% share of any profits per Don Henley Esquire. :tiphat:

head_unit and Vinyl Socks like this.
  10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Whoever will work the cheapest for those guys.

head_unit likes this.
  11. Apologies for misspelling the Grateful Dead. Not sure if that was me or autocorrect, yikes! I stand by the notion that the DSO do indeed sound better and more authentic as a tribute band, which is exactly what Billy and Bob are as they parade as (inset touring name du' jour here) and are not even close to sounding like the good ole' Grateful Dead. Mickey Hart's addition to the cash grab (that's inherited from his father, not pedigree) as a decent percussionist does nothing to make it any more of a legitimate orginal band than if Phil and TC joined in too. The most integral member, Jerry, is gone.

Boston, Journey, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kiss, Grateful Dead (Dead and Company) and you can now add the Eagles. It's a tribute show folks, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I would like to know if Bernie Leadon got first refusal on this gig because I feel he deserved it more if he wanted it. No disrespect meant to Vince Gill.

13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It's a very nice retirement gig.

JDeanB likes this.
  14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Henley likes Pinkard & Bowden, maybe they'll let Vince do a Notorious Cherry Bombs song or 2,

dalem5467, Rick Bartlett and McLover like this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If this is only to keep the cash cow that is The Eagles as a touring entity, then I don't really care. If people still have fun seeing them, that's fine. But I hope this results in some new music. Gill is plenty enough talented a musician.

head_unit likes this.
  16. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I...I... see the future marquis ...........

Tonight... Irving Azoff presents Don Henley's Eagles, featuring Joe Walsh, Vince Gill, special guest star Deacon Frey tim schmit on bass

head_unit and milankey like this.
  17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I'm glad Jon Bon Jovi hasn't wrangled his way into this one. Yet

head_unit likes this.
  18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Smells fishy to me.

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

As noted, Vince is a great musician. He is a killer guitar player! He has great chops too and has played, sung
    and produced on many albums and on bunches of other peoples albums. This guy is no fool.
    The Eagles as such won't ever be the same, that's a given, but this reincarnation will be the best
    'cover band' of the real thing.

head_unit likes this.
  20. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

I'm halfway expecting Aerosmith with Evan Dando to join the tribute racket

21. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

He is from Mass., had a issue with smack and he does know Liv Tyler, so he'd be perfect.

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's the first thing that I thought of too.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Anyone who doubts he can write and sing the s--t out of a pop ballad should hear this...

keyXVII, klaatuhf and head_unit like this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did make one, though? And hey, Henley came out with Cass County in 2015. Walsh did Analog Man in 2012, not so long ago for a guy at his career point. Schmidt did Leap of Faith in 2016. Of course, they could be all tuckered out from those efforts too. Maybe they could borrow Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie :D which actually would be very cool, and might actually work well. THAT would get me to fork over a lot of money. Without Stevie etc-love her but it wouldn't be the same fit.

I hear on this tour Ozzie will do a cameo singing "Life In The Fast Lane"

csnfan likes this.
  25. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I've been peripherally aware of Vince Gill through tributes for other artists - Brian Wilson and Gregg Allman - Seems to sing really well -

I wonder what he brings, though? Don't he and Timothy B Schmidt sing the same high parts? - Outside of giving VG "Take it to the Limit" (a Meisner song he seems suited to), I'm not sure what he adds to the mix?

Having said that, maybe it would be cool to get some new quasi-Eagles songs if they covered one or two of his songs

IS he managed by Azoff? Again, I'm not being a hater - it sounds plausible - But it's like adding Garfunkel to CSN - those parts seem covered - Maybe a music major can correct me on this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.