Vince Gill joins the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cber1517, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie was fine and played with the band before Glenn passed. Randy has dementia.

2. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction.
    I shouldn't post when my brain is half asleep.
    [​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. By the way Bernie, Randy and Don Felder all have solo albums being reissued on August 4. It's Randy's solo album (his 1978 album and th first named after him as I recall).

4. No problem. I have my moments as well! ;)

Comet01 likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Two things...

Absolutely terrific fit.

Absolutely should never happen.

cber1517 and Instant Dharma like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I missed those. when do those shows take place? I only saw 5 shows ever even close to being billed as the grateful dead after jerry passed. there was offshoots like THE OTHER ONES, THE DEAD currently DEAD & COMPANY. nope never seen them billed as the grateful dead after jerry passed. even the few shows played in honor of the bands 50th anniversary were not call the grateful dead. the tickets, website and bob weir all called the shows Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead

PhoffiFozz and Paperback Writer like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

ridiculous. the band does not call themselves the grateful dead and therefore you shouldn't go around acting like its the grateful dead. of course it will be compared to them because of the members but its not the same band. its not trying to be the same band. its not called the same band

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know what he'll add to the band, but he's a great singer! My guess is that the Eagles will turn to even more of a country flavor. That's not so great for me, but I have all the Eagles I need if that happens.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

From all I have ever read, Vince Gill is a good natured guy. He'll fit right in with Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh. And, Don Henley is very protective of the Eagles legacy.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was thinking about it the other day, The Eagles is a corporation, a company, who employs a lot of people (road crew, etc) They make a lot of money on the road. As long as one of the co founders is still around (Henley) it'll just keep going. Apple didn't shut down when Steve Jobs passed away. Irving Azoff isn't stupid. I'm sure Henley didn't take to much convincing either. Just my take on it.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  11. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Who knew hippies were so touchy?

12. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Vince Gill is a shrewd addition to the Eagles. Versatile for sure and his PPL years give him cred.
    He played on the recent Willie Nelson Ray Price tribute album in case no one noticed.

And personally happy about this as Vince has kinda come to dominate the Monday night Time Jumpers shows too much IMO. Will hopefully let the rest of that band get more solo time.

13. Matthew Tate

I'm 35 and do IT work for a living

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  14. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Oh good, now I can sleep better at night.

Snark aside I still feel the reunions/tributes while technically not using the name are in fact marketed as de facto Dead shows. Personally I find it kind of cynical, and if I can be honest there was a slightly rote and corporate vibe to the Dead after In the Dark dropped.

snepts and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

From the article:
    In other words, "I thought we were done, but once I saw the kid and realized we could still make a buck without missing a beat..."
    Henley and Frey both being such shining examples of ethics uber alles in everything they do.

I love their music so much, but man is this band an exercise in separating the art from the artist.

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He will be a major vocal force on their harmonies. Sing lead vox on all the Frey tunes. Play lead guitar parts that Leadon or Felder played and also be able to break out the banjo or mandolin when needed. And as mentioned before, sing the hell out of "Take It To The Limit".

"Take It Easy" will sound right again because of the banjo and they can add a song like "Midnight Flyer" to the set. I hope they dig through those first 3 albums and do some stuff they haven't done in a while.

DanBNash and starduster like this.
  17. The article from the LA Times cited in post#1 says a lot about the addition of Frey's son Deacon , who is ALSO added to the lineup.

Also the article states this is an experiment- for these particular concerts - and not a permanent re-birth of the Eagles- for now.

Truth be told - I was rooting for Bob Seger.

head_unit likes this.
  18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Well...this could be any band running past 30 years except Aerohead, BonoCo and Zig Zag Top rolling papers...
    Whatever keeps the vibe of the tribe alive.
    "It's All Good"-Dylan (with a little help from his friend Robert Hunter)
    NP:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. I respectfully disagree. When it was The Other Ones or Further or Phil & Bob and Friends, or whatever, that's fine. But they have been inching closer to the original name and brand logos and that's what I have a problem with. There is nothing Dead except Jerry, and I don't mean that disrespectfully. On the contrary, I love the Grateful Dead but do not like what I perceive to be at this point, (with two orginal members) them using the "The Dead" in name in any configuration. I'll reiterate why; it's a cash grab for the summer concert series for this Grateful Dead tribute band.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Walter Sobchak likes this.
  20. I'll go along with that Dylan quote! :cheers:

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Vince Gill is a great singer and guitarist but in no way increases my interest in seeing Eagles without Frey. Would have been glad to see them without Henley.

snepts likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you are not going to count Mickey as an original member due to his joining only on their second album, I would point out that only one person from the first four or so Eagles albums is on board. This really is a Henley solo tour from that perspective.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

My feeling here is that Billy the K wanted to go Dead something. But yeah...I expect the next of kin will license/franchise the brand to four or five groups to be on an never ending tour of the Americas...Ultimately to Ice Nine the World
    [​IMG]

24. I count him as an original member. One original drummer or two, in my estimation still a tribute band.

The Eagles without Frey and none of the aforementioned original Eagles members, is definitely a tribute show to the Eagles music.

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

As I'm sure you all know, scientists recently developed some 'Super Heavy elements', remarkable for their distinctively large nuclie as well as their transitory nature - they only last fraction of a second. Anyways, perhaps scientists could ask David Crosby to join the Eagles as sort of a benchmark. Just to see if that last longer than, say, element 118.

Or perhaps the reaction between him and Henley would result in element 119: Crosbieaglium.

It's official: Four super-heavy elements to be added to the periodic table

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.