Vince Guaraldi Peanuts Music - Why No Contemporaneous Singles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sorry. From Wiki:
    Guaraldi was contacted by television producer Lee Mendelson several years prior to compose music for a documentary on the comic strip Peanuts and its creator, Charles M. Schulz. Although the special went unaired, these selections were released in 1964 as Jazz Impressions of "A Boy Named Charlie Brown". Coca-Cola commissioned a Christmas special based on Peanuts in 1965 and Guaraldi returned to score the special.

So I guess to simplify there was a VG CB LP (non holiday) before the special. L&L was issued at least as a promo single before CBCS aired.

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think that there may be concernes we don't know about. Schulz might have had some say, and said no. It has been a rerun evergreen and I wouldn't be surprised if execs were protecting the brand from overexposure.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Since we are on a roll

(ShockControl you better sit down before you read the following) ...

Roots Vinyl Guide

I do NOT own a copy of this one and it does look like a "promo only" release, from 1966

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Brian Mc likes this.
  5. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I failed to find a retail copy in a Google search. So yeah, this looks like a promo only release. If a retail copy exists, it must be uncommon.

6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Uhh,the only "exec" I understood behind Peanuts was Good 'Ol Charlie Schulz and if there was any "brand" found everywhere,outside of Mickey Mouse,it was Peanuts.I have a 350 page collectors guide of all things Peanuts and companies paying Good 'Ol to slap an image of Snoopy on their wares is borderline disturbing.

7. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Ah, you got a point there. But I think 1964 was too early to think about pop hits off the CB brand. We can sit here and talk about it, but we have been watching the special for over 50 years now and have a bias that the song is a "hit" with us. And if you recall it wasn't even a Christmas song at that time. It had no emotional pull yet.

O Don Piano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.