Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo Thread Starter

From Billboard: Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54

Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 3, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.
    Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 3, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.

Zoot Marimba and William Smart like this.
  2. R.I.P. Vinnie.

Zoot Marimba and William Smart like this.
  3. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

What the F**K! This is horrible news!
    R.I.P. Vin!

4. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Damn that's awful

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Damn. He was a Rush fan too. Too soon.

6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Very surprising and very sad.

RIP

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Wow. So young too

longdist01 and William Smart like this.
  8. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

No way!!! Wow that’s a terrible shock. I’ve seen interviews with him, seemed like a great guy. R.I.P. :(

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

RIP

William Smart likes this.
  10. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

R.I.P.

William Smart likes this.
  11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Poor guy watched his brother shot dead in front of his drum kit. Great musician, sorry to hear this.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Awful. I wonder what happened. I'm gonna go pull some Pantera out now.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That is a heavy experience to carry.

14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

That’s a dang shame. RIP.

longdist01 and ianuaditis like this.
  15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Abbott.

I grew up in Arlington. Pantera was THE local band back then. At the time, they were trying to channel Van Halen and Judas Priest. Although I went to a different high school than they did, I knew guys that hung out with them. They were always up to no good. :)

Fast forward to 1990. I had already been living in Austin for four years. I'm watching Headbangers Ball on MTV. A video comes on that I don't recognize. The text says "Pantera. Cemetary Gates. Cowboys From Hell.". I'm thinking, "Pantera? Really?" As I watch the video, I think, "That may be Diamond Darrell, but there is no way in hell that's the same singer." (Blonde-haired, Joe Elliott/David Lee Roth wannabe Terry Glaze was the singer back in the early days.)

It was bad enough that Darrell was murdered. Now this. That family has suffered enough.

At this point, Down might as well perform Pantera songs. There is no one left.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oh no! Very sad news. He was a great drummer, and seemed like a great guy. He also did his best to protect Dimebag Darrell's reputation and memory. RIP, Vinnie Paul. You will be missed.

17. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Sad. No further details sounds kind of bad but I don't want to speculate. RIP

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

1. Although not a fan of his music I will say that my wife managed the apts they rented in Arlington Tx in 1990 -1991 just prior to the Russian tour...

My wife & I went as Pantera guest to the club they played outside of Arlington a few times...

We were the oldest members in those audiences but the band members themselves made sure we were always treated with respect...

All of the band especially Phil made a point of using Yes Sir & Yes Ma'am when we were in conversation...

All in all a very respectful & talented group of young Texans and I am proud to say I know them....

Sad story indeed

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

RIP Vinnie. Seemed like such a cool guy in interviews. Felt i knew him. Just a regular guy type of thing. RIP Vinnie. Rock On!!!

21. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

RIP Vinnie, shocking and sad news.

longdist01 and Greenalishi like this.
  22. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

So grateful to have seen the man perform with his brother. What a loss.

23. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Terrific drummer. He came across as a really down to earth guy in interviews. Gone far too young.

RIP

longdist01, Greenalishi and benzo like this.
  24. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Incredibly saddening for me. Vince would still pop up in the clubs around town to check out bands. This is going to be another big blow to what was left of the scene here.. R.I.P.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Brutal! He has an awesome regular article called “Ask Vinnie” in Metal Hammer in the early 2000s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.