Vintage McIntosh experts: MC2300 vs MC2500?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dgsinner, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

I've read some online threads that say 70s McIntosh power amps sound better than
    the 80s power amps. Is this true? I'm thinking about searching for either a MC2300 from
    the 70s or a MC2500 from the 80s? Which do the experts like better?
    Thanks,
    Dale

2. Number 9

Number 9 Forum Resident

Better? :(

I think you'll get various opinions to this question - in the end - it will come down to tastes, and not which is better.

Some like the older solid-state amps such as the MC250, MC2100 for example. Brian Levy on AA has said numerous times that the early SS versions of the Mac amps were voiced to sound close to their tube amps (such as the MC275). There are those who do like that sound ... and do not forget ...there are those who don't. That the issue. Some don't like the sound of particular Macs tube amps (SH loves the MC30 but can't stand the MC275).

The newer generation amps essentially sound more modern. Are they necessarily better? That's debatable too. Some really like the newer amps, finding them more detailed, faster, more open, less dark than the older versions with "vintage" sound.

Mac solid-state amplification in my experience does not sound bad of whichever generation. Of all the criticisms leveled against SS (sounding cold and mechanical), Mac amps are the opposite: smooth, powerful, musical.

You may also try your question on the McIntosh discussion forum, you will likely get various opinions there too.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.