SH Spotlight Vintage photos of our favorite recording engineers. Have any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

STAN ROSS JPEG.jpg From left, STAN ROSS (Summertime Blues, Tequila, I Got You Babe, La Bamba, The Big Hurt, etc.), and Gold Star founder DAVE GOLD. Producer Fred Darian (Dobie Gray "The 'In' Crowd", etc.) and I with the top of Larry Levine's head.

jfeldt, Raylinds, riknbkr330 and 9 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

larry two.jpg Gold Star's Wall Of Sound engineer LARRY LEVINE with Phil Spector and looks like Nino Tempo and Bertha Spector (Phil's mum). larry.jpg

supermd, thorbs, shutdown66 and 4 others like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Huey Meaux and Doyle Jones behind the console, the Dawgs in front, from right to left: Bobby Sharp, Freddy Arechiga, Gaylan Latimer (in the striped shirt) and Jimmy Rogers filling in on bass.
    HeuyMeauxDoyleJonesDawgsGoldStar1965.jpg
    “This photo was taken at 2 AM, at Gold Star Studios (the one in Houston, Texas) in the summer of 1965″ – Freddy Arechiga

4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks everyone-a great thread. So much great music from these gentlemen but that begs the question: are there any female engineers out there??

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Betty Cantor. Man I audio love her.

[​IMG]

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Stax, c. 1965, with Jim Stewart and Steve Cropper behind the board, and Issac Hayes, David Porter, the Mar Keys, and members of the MGs listening to a playback. That might be Sam & Dave on the far left.

[​IMG]

Jim Stewart:

[​IMG]

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

duh! And I call myself a deadhead!

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Vic Coppersmith-Heaven at the Townhouse, with Paul Weller of the Jam, c.1979-80.

[​IMG]

With Bruce Foxton of the Jam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

He looks like a young Bill Bruford.

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Susan Rogers
    [​IMG]

vonwegen likes this.
  11. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

That's a great photo, Scott has his front door key round his neck, as was his want at the time.

Platterpus and John Fell like this.
  12. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

[​IMG]

John Wood at Sound Techniques with John Cale. Must be circa 1974. Cale is probably recording 'Fear'. Note the Denny Laine album on the desk for some reason.

vonwegen, norman_frappe and SquaRoots like this.
  13. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Mustn't forget...
    [​IMG]

supermd, Aftermath, thorbs and 2 others like this.
  14. The Genius that is Martin Hannett - famously, he once told A Certain Ratio guitarist Martin Moscrop about a take: “Right, I want you to play that again…only this time make it faster, but slower.”

[​IMG]

......if only for the work with Joy Division and The Return of The Durutti Column - this man deserves recognition.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2011/08/01/producer-profile-martin-hannett/

Sadly one of the many tragic early deaths in the Factory Records story joining his pals Ian Curtis, Tony Wilson, Rob Gretton, Annik Honore, Marcel King, Larry + Jenny Cassidy (Section 25), and sadly another earlier this week US Video Producer Michael H. Shamberg......RIP.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

It really does look like it should have about 5 engineers manning it.....

16. Steve Hoffman

I love that console. Looks like three sections, for monitoring, mixing and what, remixing? See that compressor in the middle on the right hand section?

17. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Is that a second set of faders, kinda left of center in the lower portion of the picture?

18. Steve Hoffman

Remembering recording engineer Chuck Britz who was born Charles Dean Britz on this date November 7, 1927 in Cameron, OK.

He began his career in the recording industry in 1952, recording big bands for the Armed Forces Networks and the Salvation Army Band.

In 1960, Britz went to work at Western Recorders and began engineering numerous rock n' roll records. Britz met Brian Wilson when the Beach B...oys were cutting demos at Western Recorders. Influential in Wilson's development as a musician, he would go on to record and mix most of the their hit records between 1963 and 1967.

He worked with Jan and Dean and later with P.F. Sloan and The Grass Roots. He also recorded music for TV and movies.

Britz passed away on August 21, 2000 at the age of 72. Thanks, Luke Chung for this. chuck britz.jpg

19. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Thanks for that!

And I never knew he recorded that album but it makes sense as it is a phenomenal live recording. I just love all this work. I don't know if Steve knew him and would be grateful for any further insights. It always gets me that he was able to capture so well some pretty heavy bands, i.e., considering, i) he had no technical training (he started as a lawyer); ii) he was from an earlier generation where one would think he wasn't attuned to the attraction of very loud and powerful sounding music.

vonwegen likes this.
  20. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]

(Reinhold) Mack and Jeff Lynne.

[​IMG]

Jon Anderson, Steve Howe and Chris Squire of Yes with Eddy Offord (engineer/producer).

[​IMG]

Ken Caillat sets up microphones...

Raylinds, zen, thorbs and 2 others like this.
  21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Here is a Wally Heider action shot for you! The story and some moving pictures are here. A couple of articles I ran across recently that you might like here and here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    thorbs and vonwegen like this.
  22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I never thought to bring a camera to a David Baker session, may he rest in peace. And I've seen two photos of Rudy Van Gelder this week, both without the white gloves I used to hear about. Were people pulling my leg back then?

23. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

That's Ray Thompsom to the right of Wally. A great engineer, Ray worked on lots of remote recordings done by Wally Heider Recording.

24. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Many thanks for this, just great, you can feel the energy.

bmoregnr likes this.
  25. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Thanks for this, too, you can feel their energy from the photo, they get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.