Vintage Pioneer receiver - restore, or move on?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vincent3, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm about to inherit my father's 1970's Pioneer SX-737 receiver. Should I have it restored and use it in the system I've been wanting? Or should I put that money into a modern receiver like the Onkyo TX-8220?

The old Pioneer was the first piece of stereo gear I became familiar with, and its beauty and build quality set the bar for my taste in audio equipment. However, I assume it's less efficient than modern receivers. It has a bunch of recording controls that I'd never use (although they're interesting from a historical perspective). I might be too used to the convenience of a digital tuner with presets, and this old receiver doesn't have a remote control (not necessarily a deal breaker). Here is the receiver model: Pioneer SX-737 | Classic Receivers .

The modern Onkyo receiver isn't nearly as pretty as the old Pioneer, but it's probably much more efficient. It's set up to reflect current sources (including Bluetooth), and would probably be more convenient to use. If I can find a good deal on this receiver, it and an Onkyo C-7030 CD player might cost less than restoring the Pioneer.

A third option would be to get an AVR and use my BD player, which supports SACD.

I get the Pioneer's nostalgia, especially since it was the receiver I grew up with. But let's try to keep the nostalgia in balance with other considerations. If it were your choice, which way would you go?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

I was faced with the same choice. I opted to restore a non functioning Pioneer SX-939 that someone gave to me. The cost of repair was about $300. It sounds great as my second system paired with Klipsch bookshelf speakers and is a real conversation piece (at least in my mind). I use a google Chromecast , Tidal /Roon and a tablet for volume control and to get around the streaming limitations. Go for it!

timind and Bruno Primas like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Well, I would restore it. But I'd probably relegate it to a second system for an office. I think you have some things to consider before you go through fixing it up. Do you have a shop that you can trust to do the job correctly? The other issue is sources. If you want to use it within an area where Audio Video is going to be used, new technology may be better suited. I might still fix up the receiver as a main, if I thought I wasn't ready to set up an multi-channel set up. I really don't care about that kind of stuff, really. But speakers would be another consideration I actually would look at. If the receiver matches well to your speakers, I think an familiar vintage receiver would be cool. I wouldn't worry too much about SACD. All SACD players output analog.

jeffsab likes this.
  4. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I second what what @viynlontubes wrote. I'll add that I'd keep it because it was your fathers and may have sentimental value.

clhboa, jeffsab and showtaper like this.
  5. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

If it was me I would get it restored and then you could take your time and find what you really want in a receiver. From your profile you are for the most part going digital so the Pioneer should be good for now. I don't know enough about digital to make any recommendation's but hopefully others can help with that.

6. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Depends on the condition. If its in Excellent cosmetic shape with no major scratches/nicks etc then by all means keep it. If its not in great shape its only worth about $100 and you would probably be wasting your dough. (Cant put a price on sentimental value). I have about 25 of the Vintage 1970's Pioneers and probably 3 or 4 737's alone. How do you know your receiver needs anything? Ive gotten some from the Original owners that needed NOTHING at all as they weren't used much.

7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I just did a quick compare, here's what I found:

Both are Class A/B circuitry, so efficiency is pretty much the same. Even if the Onkyo was Class D, we're talking not much money saved in a year, not worth talking about imo.

The Onkyo rated at 45 w/ch, Pioneer 35 w/ch

Weight is 15 lbs for Onkyo, 29 for Pioneer

The power supply section is a paperweight compared to the Pioneer, and this will be quite evident in the sound of these units. The phono section if you plan to play records in the Pioneer will be much better sounding, and will have more power, regardless of the ratings.

If you are after the best sound, go restored Pioneer (assuming you have a good place to take it). If you value cheap price and convenience, get the Onkyo

buzshaws, F1nut and timind like this.
  8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I have a Pioneer SX-828 which is very close to your SX-737. It was my dad's and was literally was how I began listening to music. All my earliest memories go to that system.

I paid about $500 to have completely overhauled. I was worried the cap replacements would color the sound in an unpleasant manner. No regrets whatsoever. Money well spent.

I also have a Pioneer SX-636. I fixed it with a couple of fuses and a can of Dexoit on a Saturday night.

I pair both receivers with an Airport Express and a Chromecast Audio– it's a really interesting match of 1970s hi-fi with modern streaming; the resulting sound sound is amazing and it gives you the convenience factor as well. Plenty of other options in that regard if you don't want Apple.

Bottom line, I think you'll get more satisfaction restoring your dad's 727 than the Onkyo.

RogerB, Bruno Primas and showtaper like this.
  9. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I am facing a similar decision with a Sansui. I restored one and it did not last. I'm looking at restoring a second one, that is perfect in appearance, but needs everything replaced/repaired/tested by someone who is an expert at restoration and has done similar work frequently. So, the repair estimates get pricey and it can be hard to find someone to do the work.

My vote is repair the unit by a qualified technician. I'm nostalgic, and I'd rationalize the decision simply; it has history, beauty, and function. Cost should be minor consideration over time. Further, IMO justifying audio decisions on cost alone often results in decisions your eyes and ears can't live with over time.

Perhaps audio equipment is like a wooden boat, always restorable with work and money. Best of luck in your decision .

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I agree with Vinylontubes. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you want to achieve with your system and what your overall budget is. What sources will you be using (and what components will you get to provide those sources), what speakers will you pair it with, what room will you put it in, what will be its use (primary system, background, office system) etc.? Overall system synergy and balance are critical. It also depends on the condition it’s in and how much sentimental value it has for you.

All else equal, I would lean toward restoring it because of the sentimental value, but also because it’s a beautiful piece of vintage gear. In terms of overall quality (build, aesthetics, and sound), I’m sure it will be much, much better than a modern Onkyo receiver even though the Onkyo will have more modern features.

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Keep it and if you have the dosh get it repaired\serviced.

12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Pioneer were at the top of the tree then
    It would be rather good.

Manimal likes this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Restore that thing!

Where are you located? I am sure someone here knows a tech that is close by.

Manimal likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I bought a 1970-ish Sansui 2000X some years back. It developed some issues, my TV repair guy couldn't fix it so I bought a new Marantz PM5004. Nice unit the Marantz, comparable wpc. Then I found a real tech who went through my Sansui and got her singing. lol, the Marantz went in the closet where it sat for two years and then I sold it. I later acquired a Pioneer SX-880 from the original owner who took exceptionally good care of it. I've never done a thing to it except basic cleaning of pots/switches and she too is a keeper that sounds fantastic. Also no comparison to the Marantz. I've added a third receiver to my collection, a 1962 Kenwood KW-60 tube unit. I love all three which have their own unique sound signature. Never regret going vintage.

baconbadge likes this.
  15. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

It wouldn't take a total restoration to get it going again.

Does it not work at all in it's current condition?

gss likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Pretty hard to keep the nostalgia factor out of it. The first real stereo I bought with my hard earned cash had a Pioneer SX-535 at it's heart. Even though I don't really have a use for one, I'm constantly checking craigslist for a local deal on a nice one for nostalgia sake.

As for sound quality, I'd bet the Pioneer will hold it's own.

Manimal likes this.
  17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Expecting good sound from an entry level modern receiver is foolish.

There are options to obtain remote volume control for vintage gear.

buzshaws likes this.
  18. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

found a really nice SX-1280 a few months ago and did some work on it. Currently have the craftsman at our office working a few scratches out of the top front metal. The rest of it is tip top. Drives my Fortes like nothing else I have used. Love the vintage stuff.

Manimal likes this.
  19. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I used a Pioneer sx-650 receiver for many years and recently replaced and sold it. It had never been worked on and I do not know if the sound quality would have been improved by replacing internal parts. From an aesthetic point-of-view, the receiver was beautiful, but the improvement in sound quality versus the NAD 375 bee that replaced it was noticeable to anyone.
    I think it comes down to individual priorities regarding esthetics, nostalgia, type of sound you prefer.

F1nut likes this.
  20. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Lovely. My dad had a very similar one but sold it decades ago. I listened to Led Zeppelin IV and Born to Run for the first time on it. Get it restored or at least keep it to begin with. You will never get that particular unit again so don’t throw it out or sell it.

21. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

22. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into having the Pioneer restored. I'm in the Philadelphia area, and I found a couple of repair shops in the area that look promising.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  23. gss

gss Forum Resident

What work will you have done on it? Does it function now?

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Another option is to get something new(er) and better, but plan on spending more than the cost of the Onkyo or the Pioneer rehab.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hey Vincent3! :wave:

That's a dilemma close to my heart! The Pioneer SX-737 is actually the first receiver I bought for my first system, in 1972! And sooooo worth it! If nobody here hasn't been fortunate enough to enjoy one of those old warhourses from tha day, it's got that "creamy" quality to it you'll discover from the right (and efficient) modern bookshelfers and a decent cartridge! Owning a dandy like this will get you some pretty decent sound while your careeer paychecks get you to the place you eventually want to be.

What did I do with my old one? I gave it away, to one of my three best friends in radio. And yes, he does most of his home listening in the office on his computer system. But the Pioneer sits in the living room, gently glowing for late evenings of ohh-la-la, and occasionally making the television sound nice. And we've both had some great luck with a dipole screwed into the back of that thang. (Remember, we're both ol'-skool radio freaks!) Occasionally I'll write him, send something special or critical and ask him to fire up my Junior Year Stereo, for his ear experience (platinum ears, baby - never heard any station he's worked with, sound better than his, and he's not afraid to tweak behind the engineers' backs).

That said, if you can swing an AVR that covers your needs, well, duh.. Even if you own the original Partridge Family bus, you don't park it first-out in your driveway, under the sticky elm. You don't serve "the good" caviar at the neighborhood 4th of July BBQ. And you don't go to an exclusive Phil Collins press-only show, and scream out Brand X requests. I'm sayin', you don't show off your Picasso original by a lava lamp. You don't give the kid your mint-condition silver 1951 mis-print variant quarter to get Ho-Ho's from the waiting room vending machine. You want some hi-res? Get something nice with an HDMI and 6 RCA's IN, and use it like you need to. "Loan" a good family member who would appreciate it, the experience to enjoy his first vinyl setup, especaily if you know he'll take care of it. That's a chit you can call-in years down the road...and he can be instrumental in returning that favor. Who knows, the Hipsters of the 2020's may all be collecting the brickwall-iest downloads by then; so if he's bought the latest Crosley iPod clone, he'll be glad to return it to "somebody who he knows will take care of it...what . ever."

Logic can talk your heart out of the indecisions your heart tells you to hold off on.

I got a Beta player, an 8mm Sony camcorder, a PS2, a Keystone 8mm film projector, and a dozen really class shirts that ALSO don't fit my "lifestyle" today...but, can't afford "That Day In The Futre When..."

Don't be that guy. I haven't even restored all those old, 19th-century family portraits yet, and I'm just not that young right now.

I'm outta here - I got CD's by the thousands to rip yet...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.