Vintage Receiver Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Waymore, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I’m new to the forum and a first time poster, and am looking for some advice on vintage receivers. My current set up is a Yamaha CR-840 Receiver paired with some ADS L 810s, both purchased by my father in 1980 and handed down to me about 9 years ago. The CR-840 was used modestly from 1980- 90 and then sat in storage for a long time till I got in 2005. It’s never been serviced, but seems to be in fantastic shape (at least no issues so far as my ears can tell). I have a Rega P 2 TT (discontinued model) and the CR-840’s phono stage has always sounded great.
    I’ve been getting the itch to upgrade my system, and the place I would like to start is with amplification (followed by TT and then perhaps speakers). I had been toying with the idea of getting a new or slightly used British made integrated- e.g., Naim Nait 5si, Rega Elicit, etc. But I also like the idea of staying with vintage equipment and getting a burly receiver from the same era as my Yamaha, but something that would have to be considered a great upgrade in terms of the phono stage, overall sound, and ability to provide another 10+ years of service.

My question to the group then is what receivers from the mid to late 70’s and early 80’s would be considered a significant upgrade from what I own currently. I’ve listened to some Marantz receivers from the same era and although they sure are a thing of beauty they don’t strike me as a major improvement. From what I can gather, something like a McIntosh MAC 4100 seems like a great option if I can find one in good shape. Seems like these are around $1000 to $1400 used if in good shape, which would be right around my budget for staying vintage.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Cheers!

2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Welcome aboard.

I used a MAC1900 for quite a while, great phono stage in it. Really excellent sounding. Any thoughts of going even more vintage? Say a fisher tubed receiver? You can get quite the bang for your buck with one that's been refurbished properly. Very reliable. I would imagine $700-900 will get you quite the specimen. the Fisher will drive those ADS all day long....

I have one I am getting ready to get refurbished. I also use a X-100-3 at work daily - it's really amazing!

IIRC our host endorsed the Fisher 400.

3. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Keep the 810's, whatever you do. They're classics.

Try a used Rogue Cronus Magnum on them.

adamdube likes this.
  4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Concur completely with the MAC 4100, which in my view is one of the best values on the secondary market in McIntosh.

MAC 1900 is a fine receiver as well but the 4100 is about 50% more powerful, is capable of delivering into 2 ohm loads and has Power Guard, unlike the MAC 1900.

In short, it's a receiver you're less likely to outgrow, IMO.

In the words of Terry DeWick: "MAC 4100 is MA 6200 + MR 75. It's perfect."

A friend picked up a really nice one earlier this year on the famous auction site for $825 including custom solid wood cabinet. Prices are closer to the $1,200 area from established & trusted retailers like Audio Classics which would be covered by warranty.

If a really fine well made and long lasting receiver is what you are looking for, you cannot go wrong with the MAC 4100.

Burt and adamdube like this.
  5. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I saw a video where Harry from VPI was raving about and old Sansui receiver he bought. I think it's on youtube.
    Tim

6. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Here is a nice image of the MAC 4100, a true classic.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Do you listen to the radio a lot? If not, you may want to consider an integrated amp instead of a receiver.

8. Waymore

Thanks All for the good feedback. I don't do radio much but if I stay vintage most of what I see a lot of are receivers vs integrateds. Receivers or seperate pre and power amps were the dominate forms of amplification back in the US in the late 70's right? Are there many vintage McIntosh integrated amps out there in the second hand market?

9. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

You might want to consider staying with the Yamaha family and just moving to a bigger model. I have the CR-2020 and not only does it sound amazing, but it has a stereo/mono switch and a loudness DIAL. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

McIntosh made a good number of integrated amplifiers from the 1960s to the present.

Speaking in the same vein as earlier, I'd recommend the MA 6200 and newer. Earlier models are nice as well but won't have the as many advantages of the later generation SS equipment - such as Power Guard, L/R precision tracking volume control and FET controlled input switching (which is far superior to mechanical input switching), and more source inputs.

The MA 6200 has the same preamp/amplifier section as the MAC 4100 yet it actually sells for slightly more than the receiver, so you're essentially getting a free tuner section by going with the 4100.

The reason in my view that the integrated commands more money is due to having of choice of plus it has the McIntosh signature black glass faceplate - therefore a better match for other McIntosh units than the 4100 would be. Both factors are fairly important to McIntosh loyalists.

Generally, prices begin to climb dramatically as you start moving up the Mc ladder after the MA 6200.

11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Every Japanese manufacturer built integrated amps in the 70's.

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I wish I could get vintage 1970's radio broadcasts on my 1970's Pioneer receiver.

4_everyman, Bolero and lobo like this.
  13. Waymore

Alright so I just pulled the trigger on a MAC 4100 receiver that is in excellent condition. Hopefully, it pulls in the vintage 1970s classic rock stations because I hate to classic rock stations of today. I will be engaging that mono button regularly with all the Beatles Mono reissues.

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I like the classic Sansui receivers. Price wise they are still within reach.

15. Waymore

That CR-2020 is thing of beauty and built like a tank to boot! I've decided to get a vintage McIntosh but am going to keep my CR-840 for a second system in my place.

16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Generally speaker most 70s receivers are pretty good for a start..I have through quite a few and Sansui is what I like most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.