Vintage Surf, Drag, Rockin' Instrumentals From Downey Records - Coming on Ace Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulB, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident Thread Starter

This news may put a smile on those who love surf!

2. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

This could be good! What's on this that the ol' Hoff-meister didn't include on Surf Legends & Rumors?

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have all of the older Ace surf & drag CDs...looking forward to a new release!
    Oh yea!

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It does include the Hoffman classic Cecilia Ann!

01 SURF RAT - The Rumblers
    02 KOPOUT - The Hustlers
    03 BANGALORE - The Blazers
    04 ONE ARMED BANDIT - The Nevegans
    05 CECILIA ANN - The Surftones
    06 MUSTANG - Sir Frog & The Toads
    07 TWITCHIN' - The Pastel Six
    08 HANGING ONE - The Ramblers
    09 A GO GO - The Rumblers
    10 BEAVER PATROL - The Blazers
    11 DESTRUCTION - The Rumblers
    12 SHORE BREAK - The Blazers
    13 WAILIN' OUT - The Hustlers
    14 MOCOLOTION - The Riviaires
    15 RIPTIDE - The Chevells
    16 THE HUSTLER - The Rumblers
    17 DOWNEY SURF - The Nevegans
    18 WIMO STOMP - The Pastel Six
    19 MOZART STOMP - The Ramblers
    20 HI OCTANE - The Rumblers
    21 TAKE IT OFF - The Pastel Six
    22 LET THERE BE SURF - The Chevells
    23 RENDEZVOUS RODS - The Pastel Six
    24 INERTIA - The Hustlers
    25 OBLIQUE - The Rumblers
    26 CHURCH KEY - The Revels

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7824

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Stereo/Mono content?

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just may buy this one!

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hmmm, I don't recall licensing ACE our master of CECILIA ANN. Wow, unauthorized use! The Surftones have hit the big time.....:sigh::shake: Oh well, not ACE's fault.

Great, Frosty and I are going to be like those other dinky surf bands that demand their $400.00 in royalty money from unsuspecting little record co's. Ironic...:laugh:

Funny to see that ACE track listing. Several of those songs were titled "no name" and I was the one who named them for Surf Legends, Vol. 1 and 2. Names like "Downey Surf", etc. I just dreamed up. I guess the names stuck!

Natural E likes this.
  8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Forgive me Steve on this stupid question:Is Frosty the same Frosty from the Lee Michaels band?

9. Steve Hoffman

No, Charles "Frosty" Horton, "New Age" record producer and musician.

Frosty and I for the most part were the Surftones.

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

How about a dozen discs each in lieu of royalties? :winkgrin:

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Reading your earlier post, I thought maybe I should ask you a question , Mr. Hoffman. What is your opinion about us purchasing this new CD release? This is in regard to your unsolicited "contributions" to it's track inclusions. Just kinda wanted to know cuz I am sorely tempted to obtain it.

12. Steve Hoffman

Grab it if you like the music. Report back as to sound quality, etc. ACE has been funky lately with digital compression. They used to be wonderful but I've heard (thanks to Bob Lovely and Indy Mike) some real compressed sonic disasters recently.

Let us know!

I love that they open with SURF RAT. Nice LOOOOWWWW bass on that one. I named it SURF RAT to tie in with Surfing type stuff. The actual name of the song (if I remember correctly) was PACK RAT...

The Rumblers told me that they did that in one take and that Adrian's drums were miked in STEREO and he was playing a water glass with one hand and the snare in the other. Fab. track!

Natural E likes this.
  13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Well alright! I love to gleam the tube ( musically speaking only ). Have both the Surf Legends and Rumors releases from way back and they are ace er....not exactly!

14. If it's surf & drag, I want it! :goodie:

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Wait a minnit! Are you saying, Steve, that you played on this recording? In 1964 when you were, what, ten?? Is this a fake vintage recording? Are you the "Steven Charles" who produced it? What's the story here.

I had no idea you named some of the tracks!

16. action pact

Bump, please. I'd love to get a response from our host.

17. Steve Hoffman

I've written about this here many times over the years (do a search) but one more time:

Yes, it was written and performed by myself and Charles "Frosty" Horton around 1989 to kick off a Surf Music compilation that I was putting together called "Surf Legends And Rumors". Here is what it looked like:

http://www.amazon.com/Surf-Legends-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219936507&sr=1-1

The album was lacking a really strong opening track so we just created one "in the old style". In fact, if you listen to the second track on this CD called "Inertia" by The Hustlers from 1964, I mixed Cecilia Ann to match it in terms of sonics and stereo placement.

It was great fun and to our surprise, the Pixies heard it and recorded it for Elektra where it "kicks off" the Bossanova album. And when I say "kick off" I mean they sampled my kicking of the reverb channel in our Fender Twin Reverb that started our version of the song. It starts their version as well, heh. We love their version.

Hope this helps..

Natural E likes this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Wow! I thought Cecilia Ann had been recorded in the 60's. You did make it sound like the real thing, that's for sure!

The track listing on that comp doesn't really bring anything new. I already have the two Surf Legends CDS plus Beach Classics. Man do I love those CDs!

Ace did release some really cool Surf/Drag comps, but the last one I got from them titled "Birth Of Surf" has a great track lisiting, but is a tad too loud.

I wonder if this new set will be using digital clones of the DCC discs or will be new remasters...

19. Steve Hoffman

There is some stuff on there that we didn't do on DCC so I would imagine analog. I'll probably pick up a copy.

20. action pact

You sure had me fooled all these years!

21. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7824

The Surftones bit certainly has ACE confused:
    "This compilation ties together all the surf and rocking instrumentals recorded at the Downey Studios or for Downey Records in the early 60s and includes tracks by: The Hustlers, The Blazers, The Nevegans, The Surftones, Sir Frog & The Toads, The Pastel Six, The Rumblers, The Riviaires, The Chevells and The Revels."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.