Vinyl clamps/weights, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gibson67, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Prepare yourself for amazement.

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I use a Mitchell Engineering Delrin clamp with my Groovetracer Delrin platter on my Rega RP-6.The subplatter is not the Groovetracer it from Michael Lim who manufactures the top portion in aluminum to mate perfectly with the stock Rega's aluminum bottom portion of the subplatter.I also placed a Marigo tuning dot on the center of the clamp's aluminum nob and it cleaned up the sound somewhat.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I use the clamp that came with my VPI along with this periphery ring:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttring.html

I've read through lots of the opinions on the pros and cons. Ultimately I think you have to let your ears be the judge. In my case, I think my records sound better with than without. With = sharpened focus and tighter bass on my system. I'm sure that won't always be the case with every TT and cart combo, you might notice loss of ambience/air/pacing, etc., so YMMV. In my case I haven't noticed that loss, but have noticed the improvement.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  4. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Totally agreed on people passing opinions without experience on a given table. It's hard for me to imagine many, if not most, TTs not getting some benefit from a clamp and it's got nothing to do with the quality of the bearing design.

Sam, have you tried the outer ring clamp on your Scoutmaster? I recently got one for my Classic 3 and it added more "weight" (oof) to the low end.

5. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I usually use a TT weights "clamp" and ring on my Lenco as it sounds better that way with base and soundstage. The ring it too much on my modified AR, but a lighter clamp helps flatten the vinyl with better tracking sometimes, but no loss of treble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.