Vinyl: Classic Island Records Samplers. Discuss

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by culabula, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author. Thread Starter

Most of us in Europe of a certain age are aware of the classic Island samplers of yesteryear: Nice Enough To Eat, You Can All Join In, Bumpers and El Pea were many peoples' first LPs owing to the variety, scope and value for money presented thereon.

Less well-known is that Bumpers sported two configurations with remixed versions of some tracks depending whether you bought a copy on Island Pink Label or Island Pink Rim.

For Denny fans, El Pea had the attraction of a Fotheringay take of 'Late November', not otherwise available until the 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' box set years later.

All these wonderful samplers were vinyl only (there was a truncated CD of the first two, years later) and it's fun to track down pristine copies of them, especially the wonderful-sounding Pink Rim copies.

Laterally I've become aware of some more of these samplers: today I just got a mint copy of One Big Happy Family -an all-reggae island UK collection of which I was dimly aware. However, I had no idea of the existence of a French sampler, a double called Snacks. I got myself a mint copy and to my surprise, while the lineup of the usual suspects is most agreeable, the actual sound is terrific.

So the purpose of this thread is to not only add your thoughts or knowledge concerning the original samplers but also to make us aware of any other samplers that exist, especially in your country.

Let's be having you!

wwright and SquaRoots like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.