Vinyl collectors! Show us your prized possessions! (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

RATT - Out of The Cellar. Favorite glam rock band. First pressing.
    379601_323736274398386_139830266_n.jpg

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I miss digging through the used bins,and pulling out promo copies with press kits tucked inside.Have a few from the 80s of The Kinks,Bauhaus,Split Enz,and such.

3. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Mono stuff...

cover20.jpg

klownschool, Runt, faboomer and 2 others like this.
  4. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

5. Calico

Calico Senior Member

There definitely was a German test pressing of the original 1980 version of "Somewhere In England" (finished cover + white label test pressing).
    See it here: http://www.popsike.com/The-Beatles-...g-Musterplatte-German-White/180825658625.html

Considering the German releases are of very high quality, I'm amazed that, 33 1/3 (!) years later, there don't seem to have been any b**t copies made from those German test pressings. All unofficial releases of that version of "Somewhere In England" seem to have been made from 2nd generation tapes...

Naughty Chord likes this.
  6. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Thanks for that link. That label looks different than any pressing I've seen.

According to that popsike listing there were only 7 German test pressings and all US copies are boots.

In the couple of months since I made that post I've seen and read some details that make me less skeptical that pressings of the original track listing exist. But it is surprising to me that this isn't better documented somewhere.

7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Pleasure, Naughty Chord.
    One detail that gives it away: on the first series of US copies, that purport to be original but that most certainly is not (those were available at Beatles Conventions as early as 1982-83), the record labels don't have a copyright date. Genuine copies would obviously have a © 1980 somewhere, even if those were advance promotional copies, and I have yet to see any US copy of the first version of "Somewhere In England" with that information.

Also, at a Beatles exhibition in 1991, I have had in my hands a proof of the German sleeve, but without an accompanying record.

A better view of the German test pressing here: http://img104.xooimage.com/views/0/3/6/somewhere-in-engl...riginal--440943e.png/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Naughty Chord likes this.
  8. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

In the book George Harrison Dark Horse and beyond (Discography 1974-2004) by Leenheer & Dieckmann, they say that German and US test pressings of the unreleased version have been confirmed. They also say many counterfeit versions exist. So that contradicts what the seller says on the popsike listing above about all US pressings being fakes. I think one day soon I'll start a new thread specifically about this unreleased title and list all the variations I've seen.

9. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Here are some of our 10" gems...

Hifi noir! Spillane reads some of his turgid prose over cheesy music...

[​IMG]

From the Essex cheesecake series...

[​IMG]

A very early bebop jam session from Minton's...

[​IMG]

McShann's orchestra with a young Charlie Parker...

[​IMG]

West Coast cool school...

[​IMG]

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Had this for around 10 years, New Order -Power Corruption & Lies, noticed this the other day while cleaning it, Automatt PS in the wax FACTUS Rough Trade, beautiful sound :)
    [​IMG]

11. pro beatles

pro beatles Forum Resident

IMG_9351.jpg
    Dennis Wilson around the world

Bryce, rediffusion, Smxx777 and 16 others like this.
  12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Gorgeous jazz records there, scotto, especially the McShann and Christian. A real slice of history there.

13. Hanuman

Hanuman New Member

A prized record isn't just having it, its having it in great condition, MINT to M-, anyone can find most records on here in VG+ condition but that is no challenge.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

"Prized Possessions" has multiple meanings, finding a US first press sealed Pet Shop Boys-Please for a buck, is a PP for me :cheers:

Lost In The Flood and erniebert like this.
  15. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Thanks. That Charlie Christian is a real missing link LP between swing and bebop. Great stuff, but a less-than-stellar recording.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Damn! Of all albums, why this one?

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Fantastic album that I need to pick up on vinyl. I have the Japanese SHM which is excellent.

18. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

I have always loved the graphics for this album. I was extremely fortunate to have a personal tour of Kittyhawk Graphics with Dean Torrence himself. It was WAY back in 1977 and I was a lowly fine arts student at the time. Though I surely was a fan of Jan & Dean, I was also a devotee of the work Dean was doing as Kittyhawk. I searched out his studio on a visit to LA and had the great opportunity to meet him there. I didn't mention his music background (which I think he appreciated), but gushed about Kittyhawk's work. He was nice enough to invite me in the studio for a tour. He had the original art for Beach Boys Love You cover on one wall... BIG 6'x6' canvas. he had just recently sent that one in to the record company. The project he was currently working on was the cover graphics for Pacific Ocean Blue. The prototype was out on his drawing table, ready for submission to Dennis for first review. There were incredible photos of Dennis from the POB shoot laying all over the place. Probably worth a pretty penny nowadays! It was a magical afternoon. It was also the same afternoon I met Burt Lancaster at Famous Amos Cookies on Sunset. LOL Anyway, I have always thought that Dean captured the laid back feel of the POB music with this cover art.

Lost In The Flood, gramfan and Mylene like this.
  19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Yes, but did you ever see Joe DiMaggio dipping his donut in his coffee at Dinky Donuts?

20. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

:righton:

21. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I know ... everybody and their uncle has one.
    This one was free though.
    It's the only cover I have framed.
    butcher.JPG

22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Purely sentimental reasons, wouldn't ever part with this; An autographed Burlesque single (a cover of Man's 'Bananas').

img058.jpg

thematinggame likes this.
  23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh, hey! "Please Release Me!" Big fan of the SAPCOR series.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My most prized possession? Why, my highly-accurate filing system, of course! :D

records trashed.jpg

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Trinity F. M. - S.O.S. (The Sound of Silence)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  25. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Wow! Look at all those Coltranes in the C's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.