Vinyl collectors! Show us your prized possessions! (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't be impressed - half of them are just bad copies I got stuck with on eBay...look closer at the deadwax on the ones falling off the stack of John Davidson Christmas albums.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Pomplamoose - If You Think You Need Some Lovin'

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've never seen another Live at Leeds with this sticker.

IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

3. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

If that's an original, that's a pricey one. That's the way it is with these records, either you pay nothing for them or you pay a fortune.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

5. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

"Prized possession" has a different meaning to every individual on the planet.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. keep667

keep667 Senior Member

7. Pablo Bernal

Pablo Bernal Forum Resident

Soda Stereo, it's not common find a decent pressing of this album & this promo version sounds terrific. image.jpg

8. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd share my prized possession from my vinyl collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked this up for $1 (yes, $1!) along with a huge haul of original Blue Note pressings from a record store in Connecticut. The guy had crates and crates of vinyl just piled up in his shop that he had just gotten in the night before. He was so overwhelmed with all of it that he told me just to dig through and bring anything I find up to him and he'd price it on the spot. Usually I've found that means super exorbitant prices, but I figured why not? So I walk up with my big pile of Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver, and other Blue Note stars plus this Screamin' Jay Hawkins record and he ended up not charging me more than $2 for any of them! I didn't even know how rare this one was until I got home, I just loved the cover and the fact that it was a white label demo. I've never even seen a completed sale for a demo version on eBay. The cover has some seam splits, but the record itself is about VG+.

klownschool, Hamhead, Troyh and 8 others like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

10. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]Very early Sterling Sound Inc. original, authentic acetate of "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl" side A, dated 7/14/76 about ten months before official Capitol Records official release in May, 1977.
    Note: This early prospective acetate of HB only had 12 songs rather than 13 on the final.
    Also, five (5) completely different songs were this acetate then were on the final Capitol version.
    Song 6: is listed as "Be My Baby" was actually titled, "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby"

The picture above the earlier Sterling disc is an acetate of the final Capitol version dated 2/9/77 with the corrected 13 songs and running order. Note initials "wt" for the late, great Capitol mastering genius Wally Traugott.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]"The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl" early Sterling Sound acetate: 7/14/76 Side B.
    Note the different five songs on this early prospective disc, there were also only 12 songs.

I collect original, authentic Beatles and Bob Dylan acetates...
    Both of these come from a former Capitol Records employee, who's tenure was during the 1970s. Very rare, especially the early Sterling acetate with the different songs, and running order.

The things dreams are made of.... as Bogie said!

12. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]This is a very rare Columbia Records original, authentic 10" acetate of the song, "If Not For You". It is the same take as on ASP Bootleg Series Vol 10, however it is a completely never heard mix. very rare and fantastic! There are drums that are much more up front in the mix, the piano is very low, the violin strings appear different, and it is just amazing. The incredible bonus is this comes from Bob Dylan's personal collection, and was used in the making of Self Portrait... You can read about this exact one of a kind disc on searchingforagem.com. It is certainly one of the top pieces in my Dylan collection.

13. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]This is another of Bob Dylan's personally owned, and used acetates during the making of "Self Portrait". Columbia Records 10" original, authentic lacquer from the W. Houston St Studios, two blocks from his home on MacDougal. This is the same take as on ASP Vol 10.... But, after the song is completed there is about 11 seconds of studio chatter by Dylan. this was cut and never heard on either released version... he states how much he loved the song, and how he had always wanted to do it, then quickly changes and goes on and says Ok let's try this one out.
    Note: here the song is listed with the full title "Bright Star Of Belle Isle" , absolutely a tremendous addition to the collection. Also listed on Alan Fraser's great web site :www.searchingforagem.com

14. Maranatha5585

All of a sudden I am having great difficulty posting pics again here...
    I have just been refused three pic uploads in a row... I hope to continue to share more treasures as
    this bizarre monster allows... best to take a break, as I'm getting a stiff neck as well.

15. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

A recent addition to my WLP collection:

[​IMG]

gilbert green, Hamhead, xdawg and 5 others like this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

David Bowie - s/t US press. Seems almost unplayed, tickled to find it!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Maranatha5585

Correction:
    I'm sorry, it was late when I posted the Dylan stuff.
    "If Not For You" - is from the "New Morning" LP of course,
    not "Self Portrait"...

18. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]U.K. Test Pressing of "The Beatles For Sale" album from early-mid 1980s for boxed set collection. Two one-sided LPs.

Slick Willie and xdawg like this.
  19. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]Original, authentic U.S. Bell Sound Studios 10" two-sided acetate of The Beatles "Long & Winding Road" 1970.
    This acetate is from the collection of The Beatles / Apple Records Promotion Manager, Pete Bennett.

20. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]Bell Studios 10" two-sided acetate of The Beatles "For You, Blue" 1970. Note: the comma that was placed between For You and Blue.
    This was Beatles/Apple promotions manager Pete Bennett's personal copy.

21. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]Very rare U.S. Capitol Records 8" two-sided acetate for the Beatles "I'm Down" / "HELP!".
    Original, authentic reference lacquer dated 7-6-65 .

22. Maranatha5585

[​IMG] Original, authentic 1980 Atlantic Studios 7" acetate of John Lennon laying down an early mono recording of "Serve Yourself". This was Lennon's scathing reply to Bob Dylan's recent 1979 conversion to Christianity. This version would remain unreleased until the Lennon boxed set in 1998.

23. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]This is an original Capitol/Apple Records metal stamper used for pressing "The Beatles 1967 - 1970" LP. The actual #: SKBO-3404 G30 This is for one side, of the two record greatest hits set from 1973. This is Side One. It was used at the Jacksonville, IL. Capitol Factory. The correct etching and stampings in the trail off area identify the title and it is imprinted "Mastered By Capitol". The rough inner circle is normal.

(Sorry for the small picture size)

EasterEverywhere and xdawg like this.
  24. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]PRE- KING CRIMSON - "GILES, GILES & FRIPP" original acetate from the UK.
    SUPER RARE May 28, 1968 DECCA Records advance of "One In A Million" from the one and only first LP... prior to "In The Court Of The Crimson King" (1969), by KING CRIMSON!!

(Note: not the greatest condition acetate, but the only one I have ever heard or seen in 40+ years of collecting)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  25. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Bruce you're killin' us with these pics and info -- fantastic. Thanks so much. You should open a museum...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.