Vinyl collectors! Show us your prized possessions! (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Bellissimo!

Giorgio likes this.
  2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Hi All.
    I want to apologize about the upside down pics, I have absolutely NO idea how, or why this has happened ??
    They were fine at first then it just happened...I am speaking in retrospect here regarding: The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and King Crimson
    original acetates starting on PAGE 34 - 35, Most of the troubles started on the second page.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Genuine, original issue...

[​IMG]

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Geesh, it's just beautiful to look at, very nice!

Wally Swift likes this.
  5. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

this always this!! number 493/500
    [​IMG]

closely followed by this, signed by Frank on my Birthday around the day of its release
    [​IMG]

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

[​IMG]

Original UK mono LPs. (Except for Abbey Road & Let It Be). ****Too lazy to take pictures of the Singles...

[​IMG]

And they all fit nicely in the black stereo box, I kept after selling off the 2012 stereo LPs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Never even knew this was released on vinyl. Brilliant album. I have most of his on Island originals and a signed copy of Sapphire; but i would love this.

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

So share your most treasured vinyl...ones you discovered in old vinyl shops, ones you received as gifts, or bought new back in the day...

Here are a few of mine--most pics are not actual pics of mine (scanner down). The Love label is mine tough.

LoVE, Da Capo
    rare PROMO with a unique record label--was likely pressed & printed at a small plant, pre-release, a conclusion made due to the lack of any Love logo art on the label (as was always used even on standard promo copies). Not a bootleg. The best quality audio I've heard of this classic vinyl; I'm guessing it is due to the fact it was a very small run on high quality vinyl for promotional purposes only. The stamper would be very fresh!
    Anyone else ever seen this??

[​IMG]

Moby Grape, S/T
    with poster and in the shrink still

[​IMG]

Tom Rush, Circle Game -Original vinyl
    Signed by Tom at a recent concert. took along my vinyl for a sig.

[​IMG]

The Pretty Things & Philippe DeBarge
    Signed by Phil May

[​IMG]

The Rolling Stones, Hot Rocks gatefold
    promo copy, rare mispressing with alternate masters of Wild Horses and Brown Sugar
    ...these two versions have NEVER before, or after, been released to the public.

Willd Horses

Mick Taylor's guitar, notably the intricate soloing by the end of the song, is missing. And the song itself appears to be somewhat shorter than the original released version. BUT, WOW, Mick Jagger's vocal track. He laid down a doozy! It is absolutely clear that this is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT take of the vocal track than the version on the original album. Mick sings in a superb, wonderfully dramatic, passionate, soulful manner - and a version we strongly feel as 'far superior' to the one released on regular versions of 'Hot Rocks' (same as the one released on "Sticky Fingers"). His voice here is a cross between Gram Parsons, Jerry Garcia and Billie Holiday (at first, I thought it was Gram Parsons on vocals)! YEP, Mick can 'Croon' with the best of 'em!! The man shows here he can really 'belt out' a song when he wants to!! --colectorsfrenzy.com

...asked 'Bruce Eder of All Music Guide' , his thoughts on how this 'mispressing' came about. His thoughts are that this appears to be a simple case of human error. To paraphrase; it looks like the pressing plant accidently used the test (or demo) stamper which should have been discarded. Bruce should know, he worked for Allen Klein (the then manager of the Rolling Stones) and London Records as a consultant for the world renown group. For Bruce Eder's full review of this album-see allmusic guide

Pressed for just one day.
    In 1996 it was auctioning for $1000+

Wild Horses alt. take...sounds like a tack piano was used

Brown Sugar is a rougher take
    Rolling Stones Hot Rocks alternative version brown sugar LP »

The Wild Horses take seems to be the one that was featured in "Gimme Shelter"
    Rolling Stones - Wild Horses »

Absolutely my favorite version....and the boys seem to like it too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix - In the West. Long out of print in the United States, I bought it new on a trip to Canada in 1985. EH went ahead and re-released a 'version' of this album a few years ago, replacing the definitive live versions of "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" with inferior versions. Of course.:rolleyes:

I also have a version of Band of Gypsys on vinyl from the late 90's that was released on MCA (through EH) rather than on Capitol.

c-eling likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

I love your Happy Rhodes avatar! What a great lady!

DJ LX likes this.
  11. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

God Bless the staff at Papa Jazz in Columbia, SC. Don't know how anyone could've thrown this in the dollar bin last year...
    [​IMG]
    Never ever thought I'd find an original Mono of this....

12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Favorite thrift finds over the past few years, all 4.99 and under
    All my music is equally treasured :)
    Duran Duran-Decade, 1989
    George Michael-Listen Without Prejudice (Sealed), 1990
    George Michael-Faith, 1987
    Midnight Oil-Blue Sky Mining, 1990
    Bad Company-Dangerous Age, 1988
    Bad Company-Holy Water, 1990
    Yes-Union, 1991
    New Order-Power, Corruption & Lies, 1983 (Emile Lépine Canada)
    Roxette-Joyride, 1991 German Cut
    Supertramp-Breakfast In America, 1979 (1982 Japan For US MFSL)
    Rush-Presto, 1989
    Nitzer Ebb-Belief, 1988
    Camouflage-Methods of Silence, 1989
    The Smiths-Strangeways, Here We Come, 1987
    The Replacements-Don't Tell A Soul, 1989
    Thompson Twins-Big Trash, 1989
    Traveling Wilburys-Volume One, 1988
    Fleetwood Mac-Greatest Hits, 1988
    Michael Penn-March, 1989
    Motley Crue-Dr. Feelgood, 1989
    Robert Plant-Now and Zen, 1988
    Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here, 1975 (1981 Barry Green Label)
    Pet Shop Boys-Please, 1986 (Sealed)
    Simon & Garfunkel-Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme, 1966 (Mono)
    Simon & Garfunkel-Bookends, 1968 (Re-issue Sealed), unknown year, probably early 80's, sounds nicer than my old 1B
    Sparks-No.1 In Heaven, 1979 US AZ/CB Cut
    The Human League-Dare, 1981 US SPO Cut

FashionBoy likes this.
  14. progmog

progmog Senior Member

15. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

16. lemonade kid

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  17. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I always wanted to get that rare pressing...nice find. I have the Stones first album with the color photo. Nice original mono pressing.

18. lemonade kid

Alexander Skip Spence "OAR"
    I have a rare vinyl--less than 1000 were sold. Columbia down
    know what to do with this one!

Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers
    Another one that passed away quickly as Columbia was only interested in promoted the Byrds new one that came out at the same time. As always, Gene was way ahead of his time. Labels are not too fond music they have no idea how to promote.
    I believe less than 600 sold. And the reissue was not nearly as good as it was renamed and "Elevator Operator" was deleted, too dated. I have a sweet MONO pressing.

FLOYD-Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    A beautiful first pressing

FLOYD-Saucerful Of Secrets
    Another beautiful fist pressing

:)

19. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Nick Drake - Bryter Later. UK first pressing in excellent condition. Bought used for 50 pence in Leicester 1974.

vudicus likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

All I have to say is...OH....MY...GOD!! Great treasure!!

21. lemonade kid

WOW, nice. Tonight's The Night PROMO!

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

These are just some of my treasured records.
    The Stones London's Newest Hit Makers...I have the color photo with my pressing. I also have all the mono London pressings and one Decca UK, Beggar's all in mono. All close to NM.
    Buffalo Springfield - Again - mono. NM. Lucky find from a few years ago. $10
    Frank Zappa Freak Out - mono
    Lot's of original punk albums from the late 70's..including Patti Smith's white lettering Horses.
    All original 12" Smiths eps and albums and some 45's...I'm a big Smiths fan.
    Bowie albums..orange tan and black RCA's

23. lemonade kid

Good to find out that the site does still post...merged!! Thanks!!

24. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Found all of these at a local thrift store a few years ago! (Complete story here!) Pretty darn lucky! Both Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left are original Island pressings (Pink Moon is 1st UK pressing, Five Leaves Left is 2nd UK pressing.) Bryter Later is Antilles. The jackets are in pretty nice shape (Bryter Later looks the worst.) But the LPs all literally look barely played. (Not sure what in the world is going on in the photo with the Pink Moon LP. That "white streak" does not exist on the LP. Weird photo/lighting burp!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

A couple other great finds!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.