Vinyl: copies that should not exist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

This thread is for all those who are in possession of "copies that should not exist": that is as to say strange editions, absurd, almost unknown in the world of collectible or even not documented; the important thing, is that these copies are official release and not bootleg or counterfeit copies.
    Of course it would be preferable to attach a couple of photos of the album and a brief description.

To begin, I show you a copy truly exceptional in its rarity and oddity: a copy made in the U.K. of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd ..... definitely a bit special!

Piper Parlophone a.JPG

Piper Parlophone d.jpg

Piper Parlophone c.jpg

"Parlophone two EMI boxed logos" label!!!
    "THE GRAMOPHONE CO. LTD..." written along the label perimeter
    side A matrix numbers: YAX-3419-1 (stamped)
    side B matrix numbers: YAX-3420-1 (stamped)
    laminated front-cover; cover by Garrod & Lofthouse Patent 943,895
    "File Under POPULAR: Pop Groups" written on back cover
    "The Pink Floyd" written on the spine

Regarding its dating, Parlophone used in the United Kingdom this particular design between 1971 and 1973, then the period should be this. It is probably a copy originally intended for export; in the lower left corner of the back cover, there is a red sticker that does say: "Assanand & Sons Music Shop Nairobi Kenya".

This amazing copy was documented for the first time by the Italian collector Stefano Tarquini, currently one of the largest collectors and experts in the world about everything related to Pink Floyd. ( http://digilander.libero.it/mrpinky/ )

Thank you "Mr. Pinky" for making available these photos! ( http://digilander.libero.it/mrpinky/piper_parlophone.htm )

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Peter Hammill's "The Noise" (1993) and "Roaring Forties" (1994) were released on vinyl only in Greece, supposedly in runs of 300 each - I have both of them. They did "Fireships", too, but I never found that one at a reasonable price. Sorry, no pix.

Stefano G. likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In South Africa they released Goodbye Yellow brick Road in two volumes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I have a version of Eric Clapton's record E.C. Was Here that shouldn't exist. Side Two is different than the released version.

There was a previous thread on this variant, containing Slick Willie's first post [/sigh]. He also owns this version.

On this record, the jacket and label have the released contents:
    1. Can't Find My Way Home
    2. Rambling On My Mind
    3. Farther On Up the Road
    Except on this copy, the contents are:
    1. Can't Find My Way Home
    2. Rambling On My Mind
    3. The Sky Is Crying
    4. Rambling On My Mind
    After the solos in Rambling On My Mind, in which Clapton shouts out key changes for the band to follow, the song segues into The Sky Is Crying. Clapton yells out a key change for the solo in that song. One for key change shout out later and we're back into Rambling On My Mind to close out the side.

The catalog number is the same as the regular US pressing, SD 4809. The matrix number for Side Two is: ST-BSO-753408-A ST (etchings scribbled out) 875 3408-A ATGP (markings undecipherable). The ATGP means this is a George Piros cut. The cover on my copy has a saw blade cut out mark. I don't know if that means anything.

You don't need to look for the matrix numbers to identify this record. It's more easily recognized by being banded for 4 songs on Side Two.

ec was here 4 bands.jpg

hi_watt, BIG ED, vonwegen and 2 others like this.
  5. Stefano G.

The mega-rare Italian mispressed "Sgt. Pepper" on Stateside label:

A.jpg

B.jpg

Hamhead, Digital-G, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  6. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I have a UK pressing of Movement by New Order with purple labels. I have not seen this documented elsewhere. The labels are supposed to be blue. I have asked several New Order experts, and no-one has ever seen a copy with purple labels. I guess I will never know if this was intentional or simply a mispress.

image.jpg

tmtomh, BIG ED and Stefano G. like this.
  7. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I have a copy of Paul's Ram with the labels on the wrong side of the vinyl.
    I tried to find other cases of this to see if it happened with a certain pressing, but found nothing.

8. Here are the front cover and gatefolds for Kiss' "Double Platinum" as released in my country in 1982. Not a bootleg/counterfeit copy:

Double Platinum 01.jpg
    Double Platinum 02.jpg Double Platinum 03.jpg

hi_watt, intv7, Szeppelin75 and 2 others like this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The Concert Sinatra on Reprise with the standard, "non-Frank" label (no photo of Sinatra on the label):
    [​IMG]

Hamhead, hi_watt, bferr1 and 5 others like this.
  10. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

A while ago in a store, I found a copy of Tears For Fears' Mothers Talk 7" which had a yellow logo instead of a red one, and on closer inspection it appeared the printer hadn't used any red ink on the cover. I told the owner of the Memories Fade fansite and he'd never heard of one either. I later sold it on eBay, for lower than I expected, but whatever. It's a one of a kind misprint.

[​IMG]

c-eling and Stefano G. like this.
  11. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

I have an Australian mono copy of Cartoone's self titled Lp.

What makes it interesting is that it uses US mono stampers (they match all my other Atlantic monos in terms of format lettering and handwriting)

To my knowledge this wasn't even released as a Mono promo in the US!

Sounds really good too, I would even venture as far as to say it may not be a fold down.

:hide::hide::hide:(I know Atlantic is notorious for fold downs)

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:righton:

ggergm likes this.
  13. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Despite what the label states, this copy was pressed in Kenya, with the pressing ring suggesting it was pressed by EA Records (affiliated with Phonogram - EMI did not have manufacturing facilities in East Africa at the time).

Stefano G. likes this.
  14. Stefano G.

:yikes: many thanks, it's really a good info!

15. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Keeping with the theme of wrong label stock, here's the Aussie addition...

AU3045S3Xa.jpg

From 1979, reportedly only 300 or so copies pressed. Some copies also exist with Parlophone/Columbia label combinations.

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

technically magenta is the missing colour (from the CMYK process). magenta + yellow = red.

onionmaster likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

UK Mercury Aerosol Grey Machine. The only country Mercury was legally allowed to release it (under the name Van der Graaf Generator) was the US. Only 2 copies are known to exist. One was in a radio station library.

nsmith1002, Fullbug, izgoblin and 6 others like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Screenshot_2.png

Aussie copies of Spencer Davis Group LPs should be on the Festival label (Festival Records leased them straight from Island) but a few copies snuck out on Philips. This one sold for $AU100

Hamhead, BIG ED and Stefano G. like this.
  19. Stefano G.

In fact, I remembered that Australia has always been full of strange issues ... many thanks for all the reports that you can give us, Mylene! :tiphat:

Mylene, Hamhead and EasterEverywhere like this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

These errors occur all the time. I've got the following

http://www.discogs.com/Clash-London-Calling/release/1174312

In some ways, I like the misprinted cover better than the original.

My sister had a copy of Elton John's The Very Best of Elton John. The Righteous Brothers were on side one (or maybe it was side two).

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I suspect mispress. Maybe cyan is missing or low, leaving the labels with a purple/magenta shade.

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Pink Floyd Archives lists a two box version of Piper from the UK.It was pressed after 1971 and before 1976.It was the first copy of this LP ever owned.
    http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKLPPF.htm#Piper6
    http://pinkfloydarchives.com/Discog/UK/LP/Piper/Piper5/labels.jpg

The label you show clearly has a different font than the UK issue,but is pretty similar all the same.Even if you knew nothing else,you can tell it was of the same vintage,but not pressed at the same plant,if you saw the two side by side.

I used to think I had all kinds of pressings that should not exist.Then the internet came along.

So can anybody tell me if my unboxed Parlophone pressing of Mind Games from Holland from the late 70s is anything special?

23. Stefano G.

Yes....but the copy I have posted is on Parlophone label, NOT on Columbia label! This is the extraordinary thing of the copy that I posted....

24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yeah, I'm not saying the type of misprint is one of a kind; I'm saying a misprint on this particular Tears For Fears record is one of a kind - it sold many copies and nobody's found another one like it (at least not documented).

25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Not as rare as some of these, I have a Portugese pressing of Elton John (1970) with "Rock & Roll Madonna" on it. Why would anyone ever think to re sequence this masterpiece?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.