Vinyl disappointments - My ears or bad pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roscoe, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member Thread Starter

I bought a couple of used LPs from one of the GEMM vendors: Songs for Swingin Lovers (gray label) and Led Zeppelin IV. These were my first vinyl experiences with Sinatra and Led Zepp. I gave them a good cleaning and fired 'em up last night.

Unfortunately, I found the sonics on both of these lifeless and uninvolving. Maybe my expectations were too high...with Sinatra in particular, I was looking forward to some real "vinyl magic" (I hate the harsh, NR'd quality on the CDs). But the record sounded distant and veiled to me.

I fared a little better with Led Zepp, but the vocals on some tracks, particularly Rock & Roll, sounded a little muffled. Maybe that was the intent of the original mix. My main point of comparison is the CD box set, which I believe was remixed by Jimmy Page.

I should note that I have plenty of LPs that sound wonderful to me.

Maybe I just got some bad pressings.

Or it could be that my ears have been "corrupted" by growing accustomed to the CD versions for all these years?

I have Led Zepp II and a Rubber Soul Parlaphone coming in the mail, so it will be interesting to see how my ears react to those. My expectations are definitely lower at this point.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

...because you did get bad pressings, I can guarantee it.

What pressings are these? US? Can you tell much about the issue?

Don't feel bad, I have a Sinatra LP on Capitol (the OLD green label) that sounds like poo. No dynamics at all. A very lazy cutting job.

Sometimes searching for the better pressing makes the poor attempts very forgettable.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Also, could be the dreaded "P" word.

As in "Polarity," Absolute Polarity. Lots of discussion on AudioAsylum about this.

Some people can hear the difference of polarity reversal, some can't; some believe it makes a difference, some don't. One of the arguments against it being worth worrying about is that most modern multi-miked recordings have reversed polarity somewhere in the many tracks, so that polarity will never be 100% correct. For single- or minimal-miked recordings the difference is usually very obvious.

I'm not familiar with the LPs you mention in order to say if they might be reversed, but in any case, the classic sign of reversed polarity is muffled or lifeless sound. You can try a quick test by reversing your speaker cable leads at the speaker (power off, first), and then listening to the cut again.

I can hear the difference, but I have to focus on it to do so. You can drive yourself crazy worrying about it. Mostly I just enjoy the music and don't worry.

John K.

4. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

My guess is you got a bum pressing of Zep IV. I've had a few (all US Atlantics), and they do vary. The one I have now sounds pretty good, totally smokes the CDs. But some of them do leave something to be desired...

Fortunately, it's not too hard to find copies of Zep if you look around a bit...and of course you could always drop the big $$$ and get the Classics pressing(s).

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I've actually noticed more variation in Atlantic pressings than most other labels. There's certainly good Atlantic copies of Led Zeppelin IV out there, though. Heck, grab that Classic Records pressing while it's still in print.

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I used to have a fairly old German pressing of LedZep IV, and the Classic reissue does sound better - it may be a little brighter, but much cleaner and louder almost without distortion, and it still sounds very analog. A beautiful, thick, very heavy vinyl too;).

7. nin

nin Forum Resident

I agree that you should get the Classic Led 4, it sounds superb.
    Hell, get all Classic Led reissue

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I just received my Classic issue of IV.

How does the Classic LP of Physical Graffitti sound? That's my fave LZ album.

9. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Great! IMO the best, tone wise, of the batch (along with I and IV). Except that there's a ton of noise during No Quarter. I've gone through 2 copies, same problem.

However, they're repressing these titles now, with the new vinyl "SV" formula (so they say). It may make an improvement, assuming of course, the stampers aren't the problem factor here.

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I love it to pieces :D Tom Port on his site states that it is "Tonally correct" - not sure if that is damned by faint praise from Tom.

All the best - Andrew

11. Mike V

Mike V New Member

OOps, I misread your post and thought (probably due to lack of caffeine ingestion) that you meant Houses of the Holy. My bad..

Physical Grafitti is very good IMO. Tom has bashed it on this board, but I think III is far more bright and annoying sounding. I'm sure Classic's version is the best available in print today, and probably one of the better sounding LP versions. Supposedly, the original US Swan Song LP set is a close match to the master tapes (that's what Steve has said), so you might want to check that out.

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have most of the Classic Records Zep issues (missing two of them, but will get them eventually) and I think that they are very good. Yes, some titles are a bit bright/other problems but it's very clear that a lot of effort & work were put into these releases. It's not like other reissues that deserve a little bashing here & there because of the lack of care and in some ways "very intentional" mishandling ("doctoring", etc.). I recommend them.

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I recommend them all too. Even III. I just did on another thread. I think it's bright partly because that's the way it was recorded. But that's the one I pull out when I have to hear "Since I've Been Loving You", "That's The Way", and "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp".

14. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback!

One more question, did they replicate the Swan Song label the way they did with the Atlantic IV label?

15. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have Led Zep II and Houses of the Holy on Classic. II is very powerful but a bit too bright for my tastes (I actually have a latter-day US Atlantic pressing I prefer), but Houses is gorgeous. You've got the hear the way "Rain Song" sounds on there ...

16. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think it's just the "taste" thing with some Classic Records releases (Bernie likes it bright on certain titles/maybe his ears are tired sometimes). their a good company and deserve support. It would be a sad day if they were no longer around. In my opinion, the "good" guys deserve support with purchases (for things I want of course) and the "bad" guys (well nothing's as B&W as that, anyway) don't get the support (not interested)...

Todd

17. Mike V

Mike V New Member

:agree: :agree:

But does your copy have the noise problem I mentioned?? I'd like to try again, but don't want to be beating my head against the wall here.

18. Ben

Ben New Member

On Physical Graffiti....yes - the Swan Song label is there...

Sounds kick a**

Ben

19. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Nope, no noise problem on my Classic Houses. Plays through nice 'n quiet.

20. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yes indeedy! It looks great.

21. Mike V

Mike V New Member

That's encouraging! Thanks. I'll try yet again :sigh:

22. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member Thread Starter

Dammit - now I have to go buy those expensive Classic Led Zepp reissues!

I usually steer clear of 180 gram reissues and try to get a near-mint early pressing instead, but it sounds like the Led Zepp reissues are worth the investment.

On a related note, does anyone have other highly recommended 180 gram reissues?

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Me too!!!

24. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Nope. Remastered by George Marino, with Page's approval and input. But not remixed.

25. nin

nin Forum Resident

According that some think the Classic sound bright, etc.
    Are not these released under Page supervision? And if so, than those
    LP's should sound as they do?!

I'm right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.