Vinyl disappointments - My ears or bad pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roscoe, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

If you're talking about things that are actually in print ... My list would include Steve's recent Creedence releases, plus Classic's Kind of Blue, the Armstrong/Ellington titles, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Bridge over Troubled Water (the 45rpm is reportedly amazing, but the 33rpm is no slouch) and the Hendrix mono Axis: Bold as Love. I happen to like some of Sundazed's reissues too, notably the Dylan mono Times They Are a-Changin' and Love Forever Changes.

There are others, but I'll leave it at that for now ...

2. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I usually agree with most of the opinions of the Classic material but I'm a little disapointed with the Led Zep LP's. Although they have excellent midrange and highs, most, if not all of them seem lacking in bass. Seems to me about 2 to 3 db's down from the original pressings. Zep NEEDS a rocking low end to sound right to me. Times like these makes me wish for a tone control on my preamp.....

3. John

John Senior Member

Im with Dean here. I didnt want to be the first to go here since I have posted this many times before but seems like an appropriate time to restate. Zep I is lacking in bottom end but otherwise very good. II not only lacking in bass but is very bright as well. Graffiti is tonally ok but dry and lacking in life. My Barry Diament CD is better! Unfortunately I do not know of a better pressing, although I only have heard about 3 different ones. Steve needs to make sure that his CRP certification is up to date and knock this one out! Whats the deal guys, should I open my Houses of The Holy!? Youve got me wondrin..

John

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I would agree about II (if anything, too much EQ boosting around Plant's vocals). On the others, I don't agree so much.

As for me, having a preamp without tone controls would be like having a car with no steering wheel.

If you don't open the HOTH record, it's your loss! It's beautiful. But then again, that's my taste not yours.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Peter Gabriel one on classic records is also a nice effort.

7. John

John Senior Member

Thanks Mike I will play it.
    John

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Speaking of Hendrix, the Classic Records "Band Of Gypsies" is THE definitive issue of that title. It is out-of-print, though. Just a note for anybody who doesn't have it that might come across a copy. :)

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Yes, this one sounds better than any of the EH releases on MCA. If you get the chance pick it up!

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I'll say! The Classic Band Of Gypsies is incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.