Vinyl Flat Record Flattener - any experience with this product?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TLMusic, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

I have salvaged numerous records that were otherwise unplayable with Vinyl Flat. I've even thrown some reel tapes into the heating pouch. Recommended.

vinyl13 likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I tried it for the first time yesterday - it brought back to its proper shape and form an LP that I bought new in shrink-wrap, but which turned out to be a veritable sombrero upon first playing. I'm a firm believer now.

Vinyl Addict, Aftermath and PATB like this.
  3. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

I purchased vinyl flat with pouch a couple of weeks ago, works as advertised - fix quite a few warped records, highly recommend the product

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I agree wholeheartedly, get the groovy pouch too. I use a timer with the on tabs removed so I can set it and forget it. Worth every penny!

Paully likes this.
  5. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

just ordered vinyl flat and groovy pouch, will update when i flatten some records, couldnt get the 139.00 combo deal tho, i got a expensive dark side of the moon lp that is edge warped and it drivin me nuts, hope this thing cures its warp.

6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Thinking about investing in one of these, as well. There are a few warped records in my collection that could use some flattening.

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Mine is on order as well, I think they got buried with orders and ran out of stock..

8. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'm curious if any folks here who own a Vinyl Flat w/Groovy Pouch would be interested in flattening a couple records for me if I sent them (and a few bucks) their way?

johnny q and LitHum05 like this.
  9. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

over the years of record buying I have acquired a few that are warped. They range of the 60’s all the way to current pressings and I am wondering if the vinyl flat really works?

I also would like to know if it damages the records at all to the point where it effects SQ? In other words, are you trading the ability to have a flat playable record for a lack of sound quality?

I have seen the YouTube videos and read some reviews but would like message board feedback as I never feel as though I can trust reviewers online.

10. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I’m happy with mine. It’s paid for itself. It isn’t as effective on edge warps. The key is to start with two hours and patiently work up. I’ve only used mine with the Groovy Pouch.

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yes. Own one and use it - it works.

12. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I have one (with the heating pouch) from a few years ago and it has worked great on the records I used it for. I also used it without heat on an old valuable sealed record that was dish warped. I kept that one in my garage all summer and it flattened it out; no damage to the sound. Pretty worthwhile investment especially if you get a lot of dished records from Quality Record Pressings like I do.

13. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

Thanks all, looks like a purchase is in order!

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

The product’s website has the Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch going for $220. Did the price go up recently?

Edit: Apparently, in 2017, production was moved from China to the US.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yes. i got mine on sale during the christmas holiday last year for just a hair under $200 for the pair. also had a pouch fail and they replaced for me without issue.

16. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

I own a Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch, however, I'm uncertain if it's safe to use it with (can you believe it?) a 106 gram Canadian version of The Doors S/T debut LP.

This minty but warped version actually sounds very good in many respects, so I want to flatten it for future listening sessions.
    Has anyone used Vinyl Flat with super-thin LPs like this....if so, for what time frame?

ALTERNATE METHOD - COLD FLATTENING

Also, it occurs to me that just leaving the LP stored under the weight of the Vinyl Flat (without heat) may safely flatten it over time.
    However, I may need to flatten other LPs in the interim, and buying another Vinyl Flat just for cold flattening is not in my budget right now.

So...any suggestions on what else I can sandwich an LP between to flatten it...that is similar to a Vinyl Flat in size and weight?
    Maybe metal sheets, stone tiles, and would I still want to use the Vinyl Flat felt liners? Please help me out here!

17. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

2nd page of the attachment gives suggested times. I put newer records in overnight then let them cool completely before I take them out of the flattener.

P.S.

I use the heating pouch.

http://vinylflat.com/files/Vinyl_Flat_Instructions.pdf

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Anyone even try a pic disc? My wife bought the Weezer 7" from BF and it is dished BAD. I'm afraid to try it though.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i wonder what will happen to the middle elements.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Me too, I'm afraid to try it.

21. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I place my records in the sleeve on a flat table under a glass cutting board with 5-10 lbs on it overnight. Works every time. It's free.

latheofheaven likes this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Have any of you had to replace the rings? I'm thinking about getting this and just curious how long those rings should last before having to get another one.

23. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I've been listening to vinyl since about 1965 (that I can remember), when I was 5 years old. I have yet to encounter a warped record. I've never even seen a warped record. I have a collection of about 800 LPs, many purchased from thrift stores, many purchased at used record stores, and many others purchased new. Never had a problem. What are you doing to your records??

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You've been very lucky!

Sometimes new records come with mild warps or edge warps. I've found that often sealed titles from the 1980's I've purchased in recent years are warped, likely from the contracting shrink wrap over the decades combined with improper storage conditions.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah ok.

so have you tried the vinyl flat or not?

i've had mine for a few years now and flattened a few dozen lps. it has always taken a bit longer at a higher heat than suggested in the directions. rings look great still.

scarfaceclaw and cwitt1980 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.