Vinyl Me, Please - Snoop - Doggystyle from ‘original analog reels’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seaisletim, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vinyl Me, Please has as its May Record of the Month the Clipse - Lord Willin’, a classic release in it’s own right from 2002.

It claims to be billed as ‘remastered from original source’; at 45rpm on 2lps, I’m sure it will sound great as Pharrell and Chad of the Neptunes really deliver on this album. The remastering, we can all be certain, has a digital step in there somewhere regardless.

More interestingly, Snoop Dogg’s debut album Doggystyle is available through a parallel VMP membership and is listed as ‘remastered from the original analog reels’.

Much different, much more specific terms. It’s on color patterned vinyl and all, but I believe this album was recorded to tape, as was Dr Dre’s practice in 1992/93. Could be a real winner.

Gaslight, Grow Fins, Mikey679 and 2 others like this.
  2. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

I'm a subscriber to both the main RotM and the Rap Rotm and can't wait for these two. I expect them both to sound phenomenal.

FJFP and seaisletim like this.
  3. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

"Lord Willin'" is a strange release. I recall that Clipse planned on it being their big commercial breakthrough, that it would take them to the top of the rap heap. It may have done that artistically, but commercially, it was a big disappointment, and they never really recovered from it in that sense.

Snoop's "Doggystyle" is of course what every record wants to be - a critical and commercial smash, one of the touchstone LPs of the 1990s. Dr. Dre and Snoop firing on all cylinders, dominating not just rap but the popular culture of the moment, along with the grunge/alternative acts of the time.

Hope you enjoy both of these on the new vinyl.

thesisinbold likes this.
  4. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up on the upcoming Snoop LP, I just signed up for the Hip Hop record of the month club, so I’m looking forward to listening to this one. Looks like they put out some nice releases, too, I’m hoping they add that De La Soul “Buhloone Mindstate” to the store soon, I’d like to pick that one up for my collection.

5. seaisletim

6. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I wouldn't mind having it on vinyl. The question is, this reissue gonna have "G's Up Hoes Down" on it (included on original pressings though cut for sample clearance issues later)? That would give it an advantage over the quite common reissue HMV currently has.

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Had to join. Doggystyle is one of my favorite albums of all time and it's one of the greatest produced hip hop albums of all time. Dr. Dre and Snoop are in top form here

8. seaisletim

The advantage, hopefully, is in the source as the currently available version has ‘Digitally Remastered’ in big letters on the cover

9. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yeah, but presumably if it's direct from the original reels they wouldn't skip over that track.

seaisletim likes this.
  10. I rejoined VMP today because of a few of these albums.

Clipse, Snoop, and I added Goodie Mob for giggles to my order - all classics and I am hopeful will sound incredible. I was a VMP and then cancelled... but releases like this can keep me interested.

seaisletim likes this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I signed up for Doggystyle. Odds are high I will immediacy cancel after it has shipped, but who knows, weirder things have happened.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    thesisinbold and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I remember being a young lad in middle school when this came out and some friends having this one. We probably weren't supposed to have it or listen to it :D

Ryan_Pretzel and seaisletim like this.
  13. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Hopefully they cut from tape but beware: VMP 'confirmed' a jazz title to mastered by Kevin Gray from the original tapes, but when someone asked him directly, KG said he was not allowed to discuss the source, so we got the idea... It's in the Music Matters part 7 thread if you want to know exactly.

Same story with Fiona Apple: 'Remastered from original analog tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound' but it was confirmed by Jensen himself on their website he cut from files:

Everything You Need To Know About Our Reissue Of Tidal — Vinyl Me, Please

"A lot of the mastering process ended up being more or less tape direct to a super high-res master, to plates at GZ, to the record people will get."

Ryan_Pretzel and KDubATX like this.
  14. seaisletim

I’m sure you’re right and your input is appreciated. I didn’t hear the jazz title you mention but Kevin Gray is always rock-solid in terms of SQ.

I like the Fiona Apple title from VMP, think it sounds great and I remember watching the thread about the source unfold as you describe. There were some people who couldn’t hear a difference between the 45rpm vinyl and the original cd, which does sound good.

15. The way I normally look at a label like VMP is this... most of these releases may not have ever seen the light of day in a higher rez format because of their release dates, etc., so I am more than happy when they do a title like “Tidal” the way they did it - I would think that Clipse / Snoop / Goodie Mob were all hi rez cuts too. But again, what other label would do this? If you can snag an original of any of these (most likely) they will not sound as good and they will not have the same thick jacket, etc. Learning about those jazz albums is disappointing (I have the VMP Eddie Gale 2x45 and it sounds amazing) but I can understand the justification. I would love them all to be AAA and I try to buy as many AAA titles as I can - I just don’t know how realistic my expectations are. Hahaha.

mikemoon likes this.
  16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I think they're doing a great job and I have about 5 - 7 titles.

My only complaint is there playing hide and seek about the way the vinyl was cut. They leave the impression it's AAA to boost sales, I assume. Even when I asked them by mail:

There is one question I’d like to ask: from what source did Kevin Gray cut the Johnny Griffin 'A Blowin' Session' (2LP, 45RPM) from? Analog tape or digital files?

The reply was: "Hello, Source is original tapes. Enjoy!"

Ryan_Pretzel and seaisletim like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

seaisletim likes this.
  18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

My favourite hip-hop album. I just wish the original release (or this one) was available digitally. The remaster found on Apple Music is garbage.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, hell with it. I love this album. I joined. I hope this pressing is the shiznit. I bought one a few years ago from Urban Outfitters that wasn't so great.

20. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

I joined for this album too

seaisletim and Ghostworld like this.
  21. That is a little strange... I agree.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I did the ebay thing last night. Try to find an original under $100. Good luck. And there are barely any there!

My only concern is it being on colored vinyl. Even though just bringing up that debate is always a bad idea. But it is a cool look for this album.

seaisletim likes this.
  23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Received shipping notification this morning.

24. Mine arrived earlier this week but I won’t be in town till the weekend to give it a listen. Y’all keep me posted before then, :).

25. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Got mine. Sounds good. Surprisingly little bass.

Best album of the 90s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.