[vinyl] Neil Young After The Goldrush (NYA)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylvark, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident Thread Starter

A couple of months ago I bought After The Goldrush early pressing in a 2nd hand shop. Side A had a few tracks with distortion that sounded like someone was tearing cloth (or like a needle sweeping across the grooves ;)). I brought it back and that's when he told me he could order that album brand new from Neil Young Archives.

Today I picked up this new album (sealed and all) and it has the same thing! I don't remember if its at the exact same spots though.

Is this sound supposed to be in there? I can't imagine it is and I don't think I ever heard it on the CD's or, back in the days when I recorded this album from my dad on cassette.

Anyone with experience with these NYA releases? I'ts very obvious with the tracks 'After The Goldrush' and 'Only love can break your heart'.

Thanks!

Here's a picture, it's clearly visible, vertically on the grooves is what looks like small scratches.
    [​IMG] http://tweakers.net/ext/f/0557rDS78uULX4mf5tkpbme2/full.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. vinylvark

Not sure why there are 2 pictures in there but I can't correct that anymore - sorry!

I took it back to the shop and he said its clearly a pressing fault. I thought so, but what threw me off was the coincidence that the 2nd hand version I took back a couple of weeks before had something very similar so I started doubting whether it was meant that way.

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I have this NYA pressing of "After the gold rush", and it doesn't have all the problems you mentioned. No noise, and no scratches on the grooves.

vinylvark likes this.
  4. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

As a matter of coincidence I played my copy of the NYA pressing of ATGR last night and it has no such problems.

vinylvark likes this.
  5. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

No problems on 0n my early pressing (1970)

vinylvark likes this.
  6. vinylvark

Thanks! He ordered a new one!

7. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

How did the new one sound? I have one with the same issues.

https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-After-The-Gold-Rush/release/3174067

Some scraatching sounds a few places,and the vocal sounds distordet in some parts of some songs. Havent any issues with other lp`s,so i guess the problem is that record,and not my hifi system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.