Vinyl platter, is it an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Audiophool, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering what kind of upgrade in sound you folks have gotten from going from a normal platter to a vinyl platter. Any opinions on vinyl platters are greatly appreciated.

Bill

2. Old Audiophool

No one??????

3. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

do you mean mat or platter?

4. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

If you are talking about the platter itself (and not the slipmat), IMO the heavier it is, the better (overall). Whether it makes a huge difference In audio quality I do not know. If you want to not worry about buying slipmats, then an acrylic is a better choice as you don't have to use a slipmat. That being said, I have a systemdek iix with a really heavy glass platter, and it sounds great but ymmv. IMO I think stuff like cartridges and preamps affect the sound much more than the platter could.

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Got the daughter and son in law an Orbit with vinyl platter and they like it. I concur. No idea what it would have been like with the other platter, though; so this isn't really responsive. Sorry.

6. Old Audiophool

PLATTER

7. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

SORRY

8. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Delrin platter is mate...

9. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

WHY ARE WE YELLING?

Wes_in_va likes this.
  10. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

I DONT KNOW

Wes_in_va and thxphotog like this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I replaced the tacky metal platter on my Pro-Ject - Debut III with the acrylic and it makes a world of difference!

12. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Yeah, I could see this making a larger difference. I would imagine the metal would be really resonant compared to plastic or glass. This seems like a worthy upgrade imo, but if you already have glass not sure if it still has any benefits. I'm not an expert by any means but probably not the most important component when it comes to sound quality. Does it make a difference? Possibly, but whether is enough of a difference to notice I don't know. Someone around here must know more about this stuff.

13. Old Audiophool

Thanks, that is the kind of answer I was looking for, hopefully others who have upgraded will jump in.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have a highly tweaked VPI Mark 4 TT but getting the heavy platter was one of my early mods and that made a noticeable difference. I don't want to overhype it because removing vibrations is one main goal and the heavy platter only indirectly helps that (the other goal being speed stability ) . But there is a smoother flow between decays and onsets of notes.

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. Old Audiophool

Thanks Mr Bass , I think your answer will help me make up my mind. I think I will purchase and report back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.