Vinyl quality ......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Villorejo81, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Villorejo81

Villorejo81 Active Member Thread Starter

I’m a bit new to the wonderfull world of vinyl and I have a question regarding the sound quality.
    I have started recently my vinyl collection and have close to 100 now. I try to buy the vinyl from the year it was first published as I like the idea.
    I try to buy vinyl that are close to NM conditions but the quality of the sound is sometimes a bit random even if from a visual inspection they seem fine. I of course clean the vinyl before playing the first time but even after this process the quality on some are just not great.

What am I not doing right? Do i just need to clean them better? Is it just wear of the vinyl? Should I buy only new vinyl? Do I need to adjust the hardware?

Any support appreciated

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Fill in your equipment profile.

3. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Some times when sellers grade stuff NM or VG+, it's sometimes just visually graded. While some may say groove damage can be visible, I've had almost brand new looking records that were distorted and crackly as hell, even after properly cleaning my records with a RCM/enzyme cleaner. Recent example is that I bought a NM copy of Bee Gees Main Course, and it definitely looks like it's in great shape, but it sounds worse than my VG copy that is pretty scraped up from mishandling. Honestly, I think it depends on how the original owner took care of their stuff, and what type of turntable they had, etc. Hopefully someone can chime in about what groove damage could look like, by IME pristine records don't always sound better than beat up ones.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Agreed. Equipment is important and we can't see it.
    -Bill

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

First, fill out your equipment profile so we can see what you're working with. It would also help to know what your cleaning method is.

Re: visual inspection of used vinyl, it can be a crapshoot. There are times when a record looks great but has groove wear that you can't see. It could be because the previous owner played the record a lot or because they played it on a poor system or with a worn stylus. With some experience you can avoid records that look otherwise great but have groove wear but unless you have a way to inspect the record under high magnifaction at a shop before buying, nothing is 100%.

Sometimes old records need a thorough cleaning. This is where people tend to cheap out thinking a record brush or cloth and spray bottle is sufficient - no way.

6. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Definitely agree with this. Though I was initially opposed to the idea of getting an RCM, I decided to take a chance and its one of the best vinyl-related investments. I didn't necessarily hear a difference between my d.i.y cleaning method with cloths and alcohol, but It makes it so much easier.

displayname likes this.
  7. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I think others would agree with me that not all vinyl was created equally. Some vinyl will just sound better than others for a number of different reasons, regardless of condition. And new vinyl has it's own problems, so that's also hit or miss.

8. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

what everyone else said. If for instance you're using a Crosley turntable - you might not get great sound. If you're using a decent TT with a bad stylus, again, poor sound. And of course the vinyl itself could just be a bad pressing. But always clean vinyl before playing, even new records. Never play them wet - duh. Keep your stylus clean. Always use a static brush before playing - some people use it after playing as well. lots of variables in this equation.

Porkpie, Rhapsody In Red and LitHum05 like this.
  9. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I will say that I do not own a RCM - too cheap honestly. I use the mofi fluid and the felt brush. I've never felt that a record wasn't clean enough. that having been said, my vinyl might sound even better with a RCM. I don't really have the room and don't want to have to drag it around the house to empty the reservoir for cleaning.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

We can't tell from the OP's post if he is addressing surface noise or other issues, as he simply states sound quality and that quality is not great. That's really too vague to determine a cause or even what quality aspects that he is suggesting. He is obviously concerned about the condition of the vinyl, but that might not be the issue. As far as groove damage goes from prior users, that is almost or virtually impossible to spot. Even after having collected for years, I still manage to get a copy that looks good but is damaged inside the groove area at a microscopic level and so is only discovered when it is played.
    -Bill

11. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Agreed, I think the op could be somewhat more specific on whether its just surface noise (ticks and pops), or something like sibilance. Every vintage record purchase is a gamble in my opinion, and it kind of adds to the whole "vinyl experience" IMO. Don't get me started on brand new pressings..... half the time they are crap, really gotta research the versions beforehand.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. Villorejo81

First of all thanks for the responses.

Didnt post my system because when I play certain records I get the “quality” I expect it is just not always the same amd depends on the record.

My system is a project classic turntable, ortofon blue cartridge, audiolab 8300amp and kef ls50 speakers.

I clean my records by hand using a cleaning and rinsing solution (mofi) and a brush. I sometimes do it twice depending on how the records looks/sounds.

I clean the cartridge using brush evrytime I turn the record and ones every 5 records I use the japanese gel (forget the name) in which you dip the needle in. All dry solutions and ones every probably 15 hours of play use a wet solution.

What I mean by not great quality it almost sounds as there is something covering the sound so not clear at all and I need to increase the volume just to hear it at a similar volume compred to other records

13. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Hmm.. well some records are cut at different levels depending on the length of the sides, etc. I'd get a loupe and check the stylus after each side, and see if you are getting an accumulation of dirt/dust/etc. I found that before I cleaned records well that halfway through a side the quality went downhill, and found a huge dust ball on the tip....... You should consider getting a proper record cleaning machine. I was skeptical at first, but I feel it is a worthy investment. Nice setup by the way, and that gel thing i think is called zerodust? Do you notice any sibilance or distortion? Or do you just find the levels are just not consistent? Also, some records are just thin sounding, while some are warmer and have more bass.

14. Villorejo81

Yep zerodust works great really pleased.

I really like the system, choose some of the components thanks to this forum! Great members. Already thinking of upgrading.... never ending story.

BTW one of the records I’m having issues with is innervisions stevie wonder just to name one.

15. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I have been buying records since the early 70's most of them sound great...some of them sounded crappy right out of the wrapper....if most of your music sounds good dont worry about it...its not your system

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The biggest problem I had with the MOFI fluids is that they are weak. Their "Super Record Wash" isn't much better than distilled water IME. I moved on to AI #15, much better results. You'll want to get an RCM for that though. It doesn't matter if you get a manual one or one that spins the record with a motor. I'm not fond of the Record Doctor or Nitty machines where you need to flip the record to vacuum. Not conducive to strong cleaners that need to soak for a few minutes.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep. Sometimes drastically different levels.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Which pressing? That record has been pressed a metric boatload of times...

GroovyGuy likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

How an LP looks to the naked eye doesn't tell the full story. I use my phone's LED light to blast white light on the LP and it's amazing the number of scratches that can hide otherwise.

GLENN, Coricama, Leonthepro and 4 others like this.
  20. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Even then, that can only tell you so much. Groove wear aside, I bought a new LP last year and really dug the sound, played the crap outta it. Didn't notice this giant patch of scratches on one side until maybe the 20th time I play it. Sounds just as good as the day I bought it. No clue if it was there from the factory, but it could very well have been. Since the groove wear can be on the microscopic level, you can't always be 100% sure. I do agree that shining a light is a smart idea for used record shopping, but just don't do it for new ones! They always have more micro superficial marks than you'd think. Don't recommend if you have any form of OCD haha.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I agree with others here. I have used lps that look like topographic maps of the Rocky Mountains and play quietly/flawlessly and lps that look mint that are terribly noisy.

22. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

I now carry a small , bright LED flashlight with me when I'm buying used records. It can be amazing, the difference it makes. An album that looks pristine when viewed in available light, might show a ton of dirt, dust, fingerprints and scratches when you shine the bright light. My reject rate has seen a big decrease, and my listening pleasure has seen a big increase since I started using the little bright LED flashlight.

Rentz, patient_ot and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Exactly what I suggest as well. Good on you!

Donal likes this.
  24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

You can clean them till blue in the face, used records that is. Surface scratches will always come thru your speakers until you go up the stylus chain to a ML, line contact, shibata type that will go deeper into the groove and leave the surface noise alone. I have records bought when I was a kid played using very low end cartridges. Today, I can afford to go up the ladder and my records, especially used and my old ones, have never sounded better.

Going up the ladder is a personal choice, just giving my experience.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Shibatas and Line Contacts most of the time accentuate surface noise. Also bear in mind not all pressings are to equally high standard. I've seen and heard Motown and Tamla LP discs right out of the shrink (first pressings with less than ideal quality surfaces, quiet Motown US pressings aren't always easy)

Henryflowr and nosliw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.