Vinyl Record Collecting Slump. Anyone in one?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

'Tis better to not find anything at all, than to finally hit the jackpot on that long saught-after title, only to have to leave it because it's in too poor of condition. That's all the wisdom I have for this thread.

Ash76 and shinedaddy like this.
  2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

You're definitely on the right track. :thumbsup:

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Long-term sustainability has never been a consideration of the music industry.

Jrr and MarkO like this.
  4. But it is for a business owner. I am not talking about the "music industry", I have been referring to my daily experiences and how I have to do what's not only best for me, but my customers.

5. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Yes. But it's because of 1) money and 2) storage concerns. Actual content is not a problem. :)

Technocentral and Brudy like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Business owners who don't own major labels are also not a concern of the music industry. :whistle:

7. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

No. I bought some today. I don't care what pressings I initially buy, because I don't think the differences are nearly as pronounced as some people make them out to be. Besides, I'll buy the same record more than once only if it's cheap or I really want an original pressing for some reason. But I can't keep up with the new music that comes out, let alone finally get everything I've always wanted. The only thing that limits how I'm collecting at any given moment is how much money I have to spend on records.

8. serge

serge Forum Resident

yeah.. massive slump...i think its over for me...

prices on new stuff are way high.. i'd rather buy the beck cd for 7.99 than an lp for 22.99.. latest example..

and with used lps its no longer the way it was..i am finding tons of great cds for super cheap and the few lps i find that are affordable are either scratched or i have them already and i've run out of space for records..

Raynie likes this.
  9. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Finding great records at reasonable prices has become a near impossibility where I am, haven't run into a real find since Christmas Eve day last year and I actively search. Record stores nowadays primarily sell lackluster items in the $1-10 range or collectible ones in bad condition using bad lighting (so as to trick you right on the spot, thereby avoiding disputes once you've paid - can't do that online). If they have something good, it goes online. Record stores have become a sucker's market, to quote a friend of mine.

And what is the meaning of the CCC etching? I passed on a beautiful copy of Manassas yesterday for $4 and it was a Mon CCC (where the CCC was etched lighter than the rest), I thought CCC meant it was like the 265th stamper... thanks!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  10. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Combination of big drop in disposable income and moving to small flat meant that a lot of my vinyl had to go (TORTURE) but I still have a couple of boxes of good stuff. And I do still buy sometimes. I don't mind if they crackle a bit as long as they don't jump or stick so I pick up the VGish ones.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Vinyl thoughts
    Love looking through
    my album collection
    CDs
    looking at the jewel case spines
    will suffice.

Brudy likes this.
  12. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

CCC indicates a 3rd pressing on these. In the case of LZ I, it is THE ONE.

13. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Cool but that is counterintuitive! How much has this been confirmed? I'll have to look at mine when I get home, I know it's a Mon 1841 (lousy condition however)

14. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

I've become picky. My main listenings are pop/rock 60's-70's UK and US artists, and I am always looking for UK or US pressings for good mastering purpose. Since I live in France, UK or US pressings are not common. And if I find some, there are always expensive for VG+ condition. So I try to buy them when it is at least EX condition, and if it is the "right" pressing ... bingo ! (doesn't happen very often). Visiting record stores is in the same time quite fun and frustrating due to prices and condition. Would I pay a Beatles' Abbey Road french repressing in VG/VG+ condition for 25-30 euros ... no way... I would rather wait for a UK press to show up or take my chance on eBay to find one for the same price.
    When I am reading some of your comments complaining about prices of 20 dollars/records ... you haven't seen the prices in France ! usually it is around 20 euros for a domestic repress of a classic rock album. Maybe 10 euros, if it trashed. Really, you are lucky folks !

So I am picky because of crazy prices and because of this forum where we can find a lot of good information on mastering and various pressings :righton: But it is a good thing ... rather building a quality collection of classic rock album than having a collection full of awfull-20 euros-french-repress records.

Summerisle and Satchidananda like this.
  15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

It's ironic that people cheer on the resurgence of vinyl, but hate the increased prices and picked-through stock.

16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I don't buy much either but I enjoy an hour or two of thumbing through record bins. A no-load, mindless fun on otherwise busy days. If nothing else its interesting examining the details of obscure artists & titles, looking at odd ball labels, noting pressing details, examining things that were inserted into LP covers, and so on.

I recently overheard a traveling dealer speaking with the dealer at a local shop, both remembering how a few years ago it was the popular 1960's records that were getting hard to find in top shape - and we're finally at that point where the 1970's records are getting hard to get in good shape. The local dealer said its like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.....a multi-million selling album, they keep an eye out for extra copies because they can't keep it in stock, they sell right away.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  17. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

The raised prices are great when I sell. :D

18. I never said I was.

19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Lately I've found that condition has been an issue. For VG+ or better the good albums are just not there. I don't even really care about covers, I just want clean players. My favorite local stores are now closed which does not help. Once in a while I'll come up with something good, but the days of walking out with an armful are over.

20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

In a couple of years, a lot of young people will have moved on from this to trend to the next and prices will come down and selection will improve. Until the majority of record stores close due to lack of interest from those other than the old vinyl diehards.

21. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I've reached the point in collecting where I have most of the the genre staples that I can find for cheap and now my buying has kind of slowed down, because the thrift stores keep having what I've already bought from them or else it's in terrible condition. If I want the good stuff I have to be proactive and get up real early in the morning and spend a whole day wandering around, which I'm not always willing to do. Even with all that effort sometimes I come home with only a couple albums. Overall there seems to be a real lack of pre-1976 vinyl in playable condition out there. I wasn't collecting vinyl in the glory days after the big dump for CDs, but I'm sure it was a lot easier to find stuff than it is now.

I still do alright, but all the meandering almost isn't worth the prize.

22. Selection here in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area of NC has been hit or miss lately. More miss than hit though. When I do find something good it's usually overpriced.

The nice thing is I've spent the past 6 months really going through my vinyl collection & listening to stuff I haven't listened to in years.

23. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Slump? I prefer the term "remission."

Brudy likes this.
  24. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

The local CD Warehouse used to have a decent selection of records, but they went out of business over two years ago. I hate buying vinyl on eBay (too much competition, inflated prices), so I only get the chance to browse/buy when I'm out of town. Much different compared to when I started collecting 20 years ago, when music stores still stocked vinyl in good quantities.

25. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I'm going through a music slump which translate into a record buying slump.

Just yesterday I was in a record store for an hour and left empty handed, which, for me is very unusual.

There were some records that I didn't have and asked myself, "Do I really want it and would I ever play it?"

The prices were a factor as I'm finding it hard to justify paying $30+ for a standard record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.