Vinyl reissues that are better than vintage copies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Just getting back into Vinyl and, given the pretty high prices of recent vinyl reissues in the UK, I've been filling my boots with '70's/'80's pressings instead.

For £5 or so, I can get a vintage copy of most albums in pretty good shape. OK, so maybe not the proper first presses (certainly not of "The Greats"), but '70s pressings. And even most of these bog-standard copies are making my ears sing with joy.

So my question is this- are there any recent vinyl reissues that actually sound better than a vintage copy I could pick up?

Am I better off trying to find '60s/'70s Floyd/Zep/Rush/Beatles, for instance, or should I just head straight for the recent reissues?

ispace and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Genesis' Trespass...I much prefer the newer mix.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I prefer the Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy reissue to my original UK pressing. It's currently in the HMV sale for £9.99.

A lot of my preference is because it's a nice, quiet pressing. Originals and second hand copies usually have a lot of crackle during No Quarter and The Rain Song. There's a lot of quiet and delicate parts on this LP.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Are we talking about vintage stuff? Otherwise the new Grundman mastered 5 vinyl version of Kruder & Dorfmeisters "KD Sessions" would be pretty stellar.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I don't know anything about this 'KD' stuff but Bernie Grundman mastering is usually worth getting the new pressings for

Smackswell likes this.
  6. LivingForever

Not necessarily, no! I actually have and enjoy the CD of that... :)

7. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Brothers two-fer (and apparently the new one from Analogue Productions).

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

dezz, hutlock and Hattipper like this.
  9. LivingForever

This is a definite consideration, although I'm finding that crackles and pops aren't annoying me anywhere near as much as I thought they would. The sound of original all-analog '70s vinyl (even with some noise) seems to be speaking to me a lot more than the pristine CD copies I've been playing for years.

Of course, a modern repressing in Mint condition that sounds just as amazing as the original would be the holy grail, which is kind of why I'm asking this question!

Paully, joshm2286, dee and 4 others like this.
  10. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Analogue Productions reissues sound constantly great, MoFi reissues are mostly fantastic, and Music Matters (if you are into Blue Note jazz) are incredible.

Garson, Stencil, Joti Cover and 19 others like this.
  11. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

If you like Zappa the recent reissue of One Size Fits All is actually better than the UK first pressing.

Best advice is to search the forum for specific titles, almost anything you can name from the 60s and 70s will have been discussed in mind-numbing detail several times over.

mikmcmee, Ere, Echoes Myron and 13 others like this.
  12. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

The recent MOV reissue of Soft Machine's Third sounds better than any other version I've owned.

13. danner

danner Forum Resident

An argument could probably be made for the Classic Records issue of Hot Rats as well.

14. The 2014 Beatles in MONO vinyl reissue...either as a boxset or individually.

ericc2000, AcidPunk15, Adam9 and 44 others like this.
  15. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Kate Bush Sensual World LP mastered by the host.

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Joe Jackson Look Sharp and I'm The Man by Intervention Records are way better than the original vinyl issues.

17. The Hendrix Sony reissues are stellar. Just as good, or better, than the originals

18. LivingForever

Oooooooh! *Drool*

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The new Pink Floyd re-issue lps coming out are sounding good, with Bernie Grundman cutting lacquer.
    I think 'More' is the one people are saying sounds improved upon, the rest from what I can tell are just a bang for the buck steal compared to originals, as they sound excellent.

20. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Spot on....I actually prefer them to the originals...so far. I will stop short of saying better though.

21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was talking to an old friend from college last weekend that was getting into vinyl. I was very happy to be able to recommend all the Sony Legacy cuts. Probably the best bargains in rock and roll in a long time. Are you Experienced is like $13 at Amazon right now!

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Kind of hard not to like 180 grams of "Virgin Vinyl" over used.....:righton:

Johnny Vinyl and Rickchick like this.
  23. Certainly a bonus, but it was the all Analogue process that makes this a winner.

VQR, Adam9, SoundDoctor and 12 others like this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Can't speak about the other bands but the Beatles mono reissues are a must buy. Sound wonderful, and you won't find originals in that kind of condition unless you pay significantly more.

Adam9, Pancat, joshm2286 and 15 others like this.
  25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Fixed... :righton:

VQR, mr.dave and Johnny Vinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.