Vinyl sales up 745% on Amazon.... news article about vinyl resurgence

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

*up 745% since 2008, as per the article. ;)

Gilliam likes this.
  3. Thurenity and Gilliam like this.
  4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

cue the nimrods who'll feel compelled to point out that more people buy CDs in t minus 10

5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

that's an insane increase.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The funny thing is if you project the trendlines out vinyl actually passes CDs in maybe 5-6 years (Growing at 50% yr, CDs falling at 25%/yr)

7. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My brother in law got rid of all his Vinyl LPs back in the early 90's and fortunately I was there to take them off his hands!
    So recently he asked me if I still had his LPs and I said yes.... he may want them back now!

Alan2 and Grohlfan like this.
  8. motionoftheocean

yes but don't say that too loud because obviously CDs are the only physical music media people will ever buy and it's very important that everyone knows that!!!

Shak Cohen, dkmonroe and Kuzronk like this.
  9. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Nice to see more vinyl titles and increasing sales. However, vinyl prices seem to be (somewhat) increasing :wtf:

thedudeabidz and thesisinbold like this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Nice article. Thanks for posting.

I don't engage in the whole vinyl vs. CDs debate as I happen to love both formats. I don't have nearly as many records as I do CDs for the simple fact that vinyl is generally more expensive.

RomanZ, JoeRockhead and Dan C like this.
  11. motionoftheocean

very true, though to this point vinyl manufacturing hasn't decreased in price - the heightened vinyl demand has been borne by the same number of pressing plants as existed before the vinyl "resurgence" so if anything it's just going to drive their rates up. also consider that a number of pressing plants have actually gone out of business since the vinyl boom was in its nascent stage a few years ago. if this continues to grow at anywhere near the rate it has been, you'll see more producers enter the market, but right now it's going to mean vinyl at varying levels of quality but consistently high(er) prices.

jhdave likes this.
  12. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The increased sales may make expansion of vinyl pressing facilities sustainable avoiding some of the pressing demand bottlenecks that have occurred in the past.

crispi likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some of the existing plants have expanded greatly notably Optimal in Germany. Also at least one new plant opened in USA since the resurgence. Quite a few closed in early 00's just as things were taking off probably due to the record label's decision to get out of production. Most vinyl and CD production is contracted out to independents who bought the old label owned plants.

14. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Either way, it's good to see!

panasoffkee likes this.
  15. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

I tried to kick vinyl for good about a month ago, just for the convenience factor. Can't do it once I reembraced that format last year. Cd good, but vinyl will always be there for me when I sit down for an audiophile session. Glad to see this article!

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wow!!! Vinyl rules - To all the naysayers:
    [​IMG]

4stringking73, Joe071, Alan2 and 3 others like this.
  17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Good to see you taking care of the vinyl that's taken care of you your entire life.

Evan

Grohlfan likes this.
  18. kman

kman Forum Resident

question for the math wiz kids
    i had not bought a vinyl album for 20 years and starting last summer I got back into vinyl.
    So if i spent $1000 on albums the last 9 months what percentage increase is that ?? ;)

19. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

That sucks, hard to say no so at least charge him rent.

20. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I know my vinyl purchases have increased by approximately 20,000% in the last 24 years, so I am pretty confident I have helped contribute to the 745% increase ;)

crispi likes this.
  21. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

He may not want them back when he sees your bill for 20+ years of climate controlled storage. :agree:

s m @, JoeRockhead and Thurenity like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

that is sorely needed in the United States as the current vinyl manufacturing base is just way below what is and will be needed going forward.

jhdave likes this.
  23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Thanks for posting the article.

24. Nice but he lost me at espresso at Starbucks. And indie cafe I would understand.

Dave S likes this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Not really. The figure refers to sales on Amazon. I suspect Amazon didn't carry much vinyl in 2008.

http://gloriousnoise.com/2012/12-years-of-album-sales-2011-year-end-soundscan-data

According to the above link, total vinyl sales were 1.88 million units (ok, they are Soundscan figures, but it is the best we have got and Amazon reports to Soundscan anyhow - it would be bizarre if the didn't). They are actually up something like 225%. Still huge, but not the head grabbing figure of 745%.

Interestingly, I read somewhere (sorry, can't find the link) that vinyl sales were approximately 2.5 million units for the first quarter, so it's not inconceivable that total vinyl sales would exceed 10 million for 2014. Shame they didn't press more copies of Any Other City or that Built to Spill album. I might have bought both. Instead, I will make do with that copy of Saint Julian that I saw or Zen Arcade.

Claude and Thurenity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.