Vinyl sales up 745% on Amazon.... news article about vinyl resurgence

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've enjoyed it thus far.

3. MrS

MrS Active Member

What a stupid post, no one I've seen post, spoken to, or any article I've read has even faintly suggested vinyl will become the main carrier-no one.
    No need to be so abrasive I fully well know what 'we' are talking about–dude :rolleyes:
    What the expectation is? I'll tell you.
    Eleven years ago the majors stopped making vinyl versions of releases, so being a pragmatist (after all it's about music) I started buying CD and downloads.
    At that time the BPI released figures that vinyl had dropped to less than 50,000 sales in my country; most of those titles were DJ spinners.

Now the picture has totally turned around, nearly ALL the new releases have a vinyl choice; and that's what the resurgence means to me it has given me the CHOICE of buying vinyl new releases.

Why do you see this as an either/or situation? Why must someones choice of one format be at the expense of the others? I really don't get it:rant:

4. MrS

MrS Active Member

When I say 'dead' I'm talking about mainstream releases, by 2003 most of the new releases didn't have a vinyl issue vinyl sales were at less than 0.1% in 2006–so yes apart from a few re-issues it was dead.
    So 50K sales is effectively dead, now with sales of nearly a million in the UK and LP's making a re-appearence in HMV it is completely a Lazarus moment!

Scott Wheeler and vinylphile like this.
  5. MrS

MrS Active Member

That doesn't fit with my observations, those extra million sales aren't just sitting in a rack to look 'cool' people really do play them.
    The BPI had a little survey of vinyl users and reasons to buy, and here is what they said:

"The online poll – undertaken by 1,700 vinyl buyers throughout September – found that seven in 10 (69.9%) buy vinyl records at least once a month, with one in five (19.6%) making a vinyl purchase at least once a week. Almost nine in 10 (85.6%) respondents stated that it was their favourite music format and for almost half (47.5%) vinyl accounted for over half of their music spend.

It also appears that the appeal of vinyl isn’t just limited to those with a turntable – 3.7% of respondents said that they bought it despite not owning one. The survey also found that the typical vinyl buyer has 300 LPs in his or her collection, and 80 singles".

9 our of 10 said it was their favourite music format, most respondents buy an LP per month and only 3.7% are buying it as art (don't currently own TT).

Not seeing the revival being fuelled by those 62 people polled who currently don't own a TT–but if they are expending major amounts of income they might be a little part the massive increase in turntable sales Rega and Project are currently seeing!
    High St dealer Richer Sounds stock 35 models of which only two are the much maligned USB type.
    http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/turntables

Plenty to choose from, and with a Project TT costing the same as eight Lp's s your collection grows that purchase becomes easier–no wonder they are seeing a sales boom (currently a million a year)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Scott Wheeler likes this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

This is the last that I will post on this thread-
    -I am GLAD that ANY type of format is seeing a resurgence. I am especially happy because it is MY favorite way to listen to music.
    -I DO NOT believe that vinyl will ever outsell downloads.
    -I remember buying vinyl in 1982 (7 years old).
    -One of the first records that I purchased in 1983 was Pyromania. I played that thing to death. I then bought the cassette, then the CD, then 2 more versions of the CD. I bought a NM vinyl at Amoeba in L.A. for $10, cleaned it, put it on the TT, and was INSTANTLY transported back to when I first heard those songs in 1983. Those guitars! Those gang vocals! I hadn't heard the life in that album since 1983. There is LIFE in that album.
    -I have been buying vinyl since 1982, never stopped. I am not happy about the price of used, or new vinyl these days. BUT if it means that I can get an analog box set of The Beatles UK albums, etc. I am really not going to complain.
    -I still buy CD's, but only when the same version vinyl is out of my price range.
    -When I listen to CD's now, I lose interest, I put on an LP and I listen to the entire thing-both sides.
    -All formats (LP, CD, downloads) will be coexisting for years to come. Who cares what the dominant format is? Who. Cares.

7. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

There is every bit as much life if not more on the CD; I have it, original pressing, it sounds amazing.

9. Baba Oh Really

What the heck? I hope sincerely that vinyl makes a real comeback. But I have one question for you, and others: Would it make any difference to you if the vast majority of new vinyl was digitally sourced?

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I have it, too. Doesn't come close to original pressing LP. Sorry, kiddo.

Scott222C likes this.
  11. MrS

MrS Active Member

Vinyl HAS made a REAL comeback those sales are real records, not card facsimiles :)

Furthermore why should it matter if the source is digital? I would expect that most current artists are using digital recording technologies, those recordings are what I listen to, and to have them on a preferred format is a great thing-but if they aren't I'll download them-not a biggie.

12. MrS

MrS Active Member

This is the sentiment I feel also. I'm nearly 50 years old and remember quite well rushing to the record shop on Friday after school to buy a new release, having to wait to get it home on the bus-the anticipation–I don't get that with a download.

I listen to my digital music in a different way, because it is easier to skip tracks I find I listen to a few seconds a skip, I do this more than I'd like to admit. With vinyl I sit and listen to the whole album.

I'm currently replacing all my rips for iPod with whole LP sides which force me to listen to the music. CD and downloads are great too, but they encourage a different way of listening.

Personally vinyl is more like a performance, I take time out to listen and relax my iPod is an 'on the go' experience.

13. Baba Oh Really

So that's a "no" for you then - It doesn't bother you that your vinyl is digitally sourced, even on classic albums. Got it.

14. Baba Oh Really

That's kind of like saying, that ordering a package back in the 70's when they said "Allow 4-8 weeks for delivery (and brother, did they mean it!!) was all part of the "experience", the anticipation of going to the mailbox excited every day, your heart sinking when there was no package, until one day - when you'd long since forgotten about it....

It's like saying "You just don't get that experience with 2-day Amazon Prime"! Sorry my friend, I'll take things as fast as I can get them, as easy as I can get them. Amazon Prime is a miracle of our modern day and age, and waiting 4-8 weeks for a package wasn't fun, it was an absolutely horrible experience.

15. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

NO

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I agree. Which is why I enjoy using Amazon Prime to buy some of my LPs. Even the EVIL! EVIL!! EVIL!!!!1! ones that are (*gasp*) DIGITALLY SOURCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Baba Oh Really

Ah yes, but this is unsustainable, don't you see? It's like Californian's buying a "McMansion" in the hills of Kentucky, and then complaining endlessly that there's not a Starbucks on every corner!!

Or something.

18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

It'll be unsustainable when I run out of room to put my LPs, and that'll just last until my next trip to Ikea.

Scott Wheeler and Baba Oh Really like this.
  19. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Uh...yeah...

e.s. and Scott Wheeler like this.
  20. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

No. Couldn't care less.

Only matters how it sounds.

e.s., Scott Wheeler and Scott222C like this.
  21. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

Hence the (continuing) dramatic increase in vinyl sales :)

Scott222C likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Pyromania was recorded analog. Thus, the original LP pressing was not sourced digitally.

23. Baba Oh Really

I'm talking about new vinyl releases, my friend.

24. MrS

MrS Active Member

No it's not like that at all, I'm talking about enjoyment, you take everything as fast as you can get it? What about eating food? What about drinking wine? What about making love?

Is it all about consuming as fast as possible? Do you value things more that take longer to make or obtain?

Personally my life is not about 'fast' and much more about taking time to enjoy–YMMV

25. MrS

MrS Active Member

It's not like that at all. Vinyl that is digitally sourced doesn't mean it comes from a CD, sure that happens with some smaller companies but on the whole digitally sourced could be a high res digital copy of an analogue tape-like the recent Blue note 75 issues.
    They sound fine, it is after all the mastering that counts, these guys master from 192/24 to vinyl.

There are many reasons to but vinyl, I don't think the average consumer has any idea where his master is sourced, the ones that do buy audiophile issues like the Blue note Music Matters from the original analogue master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.