Vinyl Salvation....The Ortofon 2M Blue.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

I prefer the Blue. It is a much better tracker. Inner groove distortion is practically nonexistent since I upgraded to this stylus.

2. Robert Chauval

Robert Chauval New Member

ADAMDUBE - Thanks for your observations and advice and the link - right on the money :tiphat: There's no doubt at all about the quality of the F9E it's a class act for sure. As you say it's now very likely to disappear to Soundsmith for some TLC soon.

3. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I have a 70s JVC FL J50 turntable and am looking for a new cartridge. Thought about the red but don't know whether the blue will make a difference on this older (but pretty nice) TT.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  4. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

It will for sure, better stylus, better tracking.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

If the cart is working you don't need to send it in.....just buy the thing and plug it in.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Have one on a Pioneer PLX-1000 and it's a champ. Absolutely love it.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Replaced an AT440 with the 2M Blue. Much more musical on my RP6. I like the Blue because nothing i heard in its price range was as well balanced and it has zero sibilance. My next and and probably last cartridge will be the Rega Exact. Which edges it out in the bass department and surface noise and is just a bit more tonally correct and balanced to my ears. Of course it's almost 400 dollars more.

Licorice pizza and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

There are few things on this forum that are as universally loved as much as the 2m Blue.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Denon 110 is much better...

willboy, GentleSenator and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I didn't think that would take very long

Jasonb likes this.
  11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I have both...I had surface noise issues with the Blue...

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

or cleaning issues with your records

Manimal and Licorice pizza like this.
  13. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

serious...?

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Does a stylus create surface noise?

15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

many things can contribute to it, a better stylus won't pick it up...some carts work better with some arms, etc...on my table the 110 is a lot better than the blue

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm sorry buddy but this is just completely wrong. Because a cart is better it makes dirt or groove damage sound better? It is the opposite, if a cart is less sensitive and detailed, it will mute the sound of dirt as well as the information on the groove. A cart only plays what is there.

by they way, you did go on a thread praising the 2m Blue and kind of say it sucks. Try that on a Beatles thread. I am glad you like your Denon, it is also a good cart.

17. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

hahaha, ok man, I'm not in the mood to argue...If you have a discussion about something then there are people who have different experiences...if you just want a fanboy circle jerk than have fun...

18. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

C'mon fellas, let's all get along....

And Stylus design and shape certainly handle surface noise much differently. My 2M Black picked up EVERYTHING on the record. Same table, Jico SAS on a Shure was much better.....my current Grace F9E is also better that the black was. I think a Zyx R50 Bloom might have been the best at handling surface noise.

19. russk

russk Forum Resident

I like the Denon 110. If it will work in your system I think it is definitely a great cartridge at its price. Problem is it is a lot more system dependent than the Blue. I will admit if it wouldve worked with my Fisher I might be running it now

20. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

How would this cart compare to the AT-440MLa? I know that the AT sounds perfect for my ears, (comparisons only on YT, sadly), but, I wonder how it compares to the 2M Blue is surface noise, tracking, and things along that manner.

21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I love my 2M bronze. But damn, apart from the Red, it seems these 2M carts sound awesome, but are **** when it comes to surface noise,pops and clicks. Oh well. Ill take the better sound.

22. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I upgraded to the 2M Blue a while back and have never second guessed my choice. In fact, my wife and I are enjoying Belafonte at Carnegie Hall right now thanks to it.

23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

but i thought it was all about dirty records...huh, imagine that...

my experience was the same, i went back to the red before i switched to the denon...

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Which Denon?
    And would it be accurate to say that its at least as good as the bronze, but better on the noise?
    Because that could be what Im looking for.
    Im afraid of losing that great sound.

25. russk

russk Forum Resident

I found the Blue to be just overall more musical and better balanced than the AT440. As for tracking in surface noise I thought they were the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.