Vinyl storage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gibson67, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

I know guys, probably been asked more times than enough! But what is the best way? Pros and cons, benefits etc. My current way is sleeve dropped vertically into a Blake sleeve then Vinyl placed behind with opening to the side. This way reduces the need to keep removing the LP jacket cutting down on spine wear, but also easy access to the record.

Your thoughts.

bill44 and Fifth-Chord like this.
  2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You're way seems to be the trendy way to do it, though I've noticed that it's more common to have the outer sleeve sideways as well so that you don't even have to remove the sleeve from the sleeve so to speak. Personally I'm not a big fan of Blake sleeves, I'm going to have to look up why their called Blake sleeves. I prefer other kind of sleeve as it's a bit fiddly to have to deal with the unsticking and re sticking of the adhesive flap though I guess it's the best protection against dust. I put the Vinyl into the inner sleeve and then place it into the jacket as intended, vertically and then place the jacket in the outer sleeve vertically. I think the way I do it is one of the more complicated but perhaps "safer" approaches. It also adds to the theatre of Vinyl.

DigMyGroove and Fifth-Chord like this.
  3. s13coupe

s13coupe Well-Known Member

Ed Hughes, Leonthepro and McGuy like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I resleeve the record into a MoFo style inner sleeve. Then I put it inside the jacket 90° from the opening, usually upwards. I figure the jacket is there to protect the record. Leaving outside the jacket doesn't do that. I then use a 3 mil open top sleeve to protect the jacket from ring wear. I am not a big fan of flaps as the adhesive strip can damage the artwork of the jacket and this is the only reason I put them in outer sleeves in the first place. I don't see the point of dust protection if you actually use the jacket as intended.

I'm a big fan of shipping records outside the sleeve to protect the spine. This isn't an issue when I place the record inside the jacket. I don't ever drop it into the jacket. Usually the jacket is parallel to the ground and I push it in.

dbsea likes this.
  5. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Yes, I have recently started the having the outer sleeve sideways storage thing.... literally the smartest thing I've done in like 3 years... changed my life :edthumbs:

6. Maldbk

Maldbk New Member

Groovy, johnny q and patrickd like this.
  7. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I changed from the album sleeve facing sideways (forward) to facing up. Solely because when i would slide the album back into the stack, the outer sleeve would usually back out a bit and my OCD would flare up and I'd have to start drinking heavily. And yes, vinyl always goes into a mofi sleeve after cleaning, mofi goes outside the album cover, inside the album cover sleeve, and now I do turn them 90 degree for dust issues.

And get an Ikea Kallax for storage.

Marcev, Tony A. and Gibson67 like this.
  8. McGuy

9. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Snap! I do exactly the same

McGuy and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I use Vinyl Styl outer sleeves for the jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Styl-P...TF8&qid=1518191666&sr=1-2&keywords=vinyl+styl

And Mobile Fidelity Record Inner Sleeves for the vinyl; I always remove the vinyl from whatever inner sleeve it came in, put them in the MoFi, then either back in the bonus inner sleeve or not, depending on how it fits, back into the jacket, opening at the top, then into the outer sleeve, opening at the top.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidel...pID=41adnc94vVL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Then into Foremost modular open cube storage; MDF composite. These have a back, and are very sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TIFORQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hobbes4444 likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

My records are housed in the Ikea kalax cubes. The outer sleeves I use are the Ultimate Outer 2.5 mil Record Sleeves by Sleeve City, while my inner sleeves are the
    Diskeeper 1.5 Round Bottom LP Record Sleeves also by Sleeve City. If the record I buy comes with a high quality poly-lined inner sleeve, I'll keep that on.

12. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

LP into a Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner, then into the jacket with the openings aligned. That all goes into a top loading outer.

Pull the jacket out of the sleeve, slide the record out. Easy peasy.

Sticky Fingers likes this.
  13. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I think it’s cool to start another thread on storing and care of vinyl. As people try different products or change their techniques, results vary and keep the topic relevant in my opinion.

I personally use the following storage and protection solutions below:

Storage shelves:

1x Ikea Kallax 16 cube shelf

1x Ikea Expedit 8 cube shelf

2x Peach crates (for now playing/easy flip access)

Outer sleeves:

ClearBags.com (Blake Sleeves nick named after YouTube Vinyl Community member who worked for this company and lead the implementation and QA of the product I think)

Over the record with the open end facing right.

I place my records conventionally into the actual sleeve from the right, not vertically and not behind the LP. Out of habit, less dust because the top isn’t open and I feel it is better protection. I have experienced zero damage to a spine including LPs that have been stored this way for 40 years. I feel like the vinyl is exposed when placed behind the sleeve. It’s like storing a diamond ring in a plastic bag outside of the jewel case it came in.

BLP1NF single LP.

BLPDNF double LPs.

NF stands for no flap. I do not prefer the flaps because they can damage the cover if not handled properly, make a horrible sound when opening, tricky to seal flat and begin to crease and wear with repeated use. These would be great for $100+ records I would only play once a year or longer. I think they are great for keeping out dust but I don’t feel the need to purchase 100 or more.

Pros of Clear Bags:

Crystal clear sleeve, really makes the album cover pop! Blacks appear deeper while masking imperfections. The other bags just look foggy after using clearbags. Look great all lined up on the shelf. Longevity of the sleeve, my sleeves still look great after 5 years with only a hint of wear seen when removed.

Cons of Clear Bags:

Makes a crinkly sound when handled. I usually have music playing so I don’t notice it!

Open on one end does allow for some dust to get in but it’s minimal (I do use an air purifier).

They can bunch up when replacing but with a little fiddling I get mine to all line up nice.

They can split if your album is slightly large, off angle and you use force.

Inner sleeves:

I’ve recently switched from MoFi inner sleeves to Clear Bags inner sleeves. Simply due to getting 100 for $15 instead of 50 for $20. Also, they are a bit stronger and don't crinkle up as easy as the MoFi. The thickness is so slight, it doesn't seem to be too much for the sleeves.

Thank you for reading and let us know if you change any of your techniques due to these responses!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    McGuy likes this.
  14. McGuy

those cubes are nice but again, the Kallax I think looks better, more like furniture and quite frankly, a better value for the money. Kallax is around $65 for 8 cubes.

15. Madness

Yep i was looking at the Kallax, but right now my collection isn't large enough for me to worry about that at the moment, and I have 2 of 4 of my cubes filled with vinyl. Not to mention they are single/stand-alone cubes. I like what everyone has done with the Kallax in the threads I've seen.

McGuy and Leonthepro like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

IMHO, I think the first agenda is to take stock of the records you have on hand, and, which ones you feel you need immediate and ergonomic access to, and whether this would be within the area of the audio system* (which of course would be, "yes it would; duh..." in most cases). Evaluate those records, and estimate how big your collection is likely to grow in the next 15-20 years. I use that span of time, because that's about the stretch of history before "something happens" within your personal life that might alter your storage reqirements (your mileage, as always, will vary). Now, take that estimated number, and increase it by 50%...because, idiot, you can't stop buying the things - you're hopeless!

NOW you have a number for which you have to imagineer a storage system that is both clean, ergonomic and at least as nice as the room it's gonna be in.

Handy access, or show-off? For show-off status, you just can't beat a flip-box, preferably at chest-level (too low, and it will catch the eye of kids with dirty fingers); you can set one on just about anything in the room. I do not reccomend even having a shelf floor-height, because, hey, who wants to see your butt-crack while you're down on your knees wondering "where's that Jack DeJonette title...start with the lowest shelf being high enough so you can bend over and locate a title without throwing out your back, or showing off the attributes of your fashion jeans as they slip down your hips...

If you do have a way-low shelf, whaddya say you use that for box sets, a 45 rack you can lift out for access, or anything else you could locate easily without squinting. And, if it is a shelf? Well, nobody said you couldn't prop it up just a bit with a spacer to give more support to all that stuff stored above!

One more thing...if you're a grownup...make it a point to put some nice stain then sealer on those shelves? Because, as in the first paragraph, you're probably gonna be stuck with them for the next 15-20 years, and that's a awful lot of time for your wife to be making comments behind your back...

(*for instance, I have about a box-and-a-half of Christmas titles I don't really need to have out 10 months out of the year; these end up in thinner boxes, standing next to the stereo cabinet for easy access, only from Thanksgiving onward. I have Mom's records, the yuckiest of which will stay forever in that box that comes out every garage sale...where again, they stay forever. :shrug: Gee I thought for sure that Susan Boyle disc would surely catch the eye of a canny afficianado...)

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  17. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

I do almost exactly this, with the difference being I use the Sleeve City outer sleeves (these here: https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Out...306&sr=1-2&keywords=sleeve+city+outer+sleeves ). The plastic is just so much clearer and crisper on those than most other sleeves I've tried, and the seams are so slight that you can easily see what's on the shelf. They also seem to be cut pretty consistently, as I've yet to run into one that I thought was too snug even on double LPs/gatefolds.

Sticky Fingers likes this.
  18. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Bags Unlimited my friend are your best friend

classicrocker and Rewind like this.
  19. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Maybe I’m wrong... but first post, dredging up an oldish thread, and posting something totally unrelated to the original post? Sounds like a shill to me

20. McGuy

I might order this on my next go round. You are correct, I have some, well a lot, that have that damn seam running through the title on the spines.

ripping corpse likes this.
  21. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I use the mofi inner sleeves. Clean record. Throw away old one. Put in mofi.

But...

Im probably in s tiny minority here...

I hate jacket covers (outer sleeves). No plastic for me. Its combination of bag rash fear, and an unnatural love of ring wear.

I know . Im weird.

James Bennett and Aftermath like this.
  22. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

Here is a lengthy blog entry on record storage, and although it is not terribly different from what everyone else is doing, Record Storage/Protection he recommends polyethylene over polypropylene for outer sleeves because:
    Soft polythene is not only protective, unlike rigid glossy plastic it will not in time form a vacuum
    seal with a laminated cover, becoming “welded” to the artwork and to destroy it if moved.
    Has anyone else had this problem with polypropylene sleeves?... My web searches find that the materials are both inert, so I have my doubts about the statement that polypropylene is more likely to "weld" to the jacket...

23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well, at least you can have it easy buying old records for cheap since you like ring wear.

24. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Thanks for the suggestion re the Foremost cubes. A little bit of a pain to assemble the divided cube solo (keeping all three panels lined up when attaching to the top is a challenge).

25. Madness

I like the option of the single cubes so I have more options when placing them. Right now they are sitting side by side on top of two long/low bookcases, and it looks nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.