Vinyl stores in Las Vegas, Nevada*

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bluesaddict, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder Thread Starter

I will be in town this weekend. Any good stores to visit?

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ha! I will be there too and was just about to post the same question!

Anyone? I've got free time Friday and Saturday nights...

3. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Record City is your ticket. There's three different locations, each specializing in different genres. I've had some moderate success there.

Zia is good for new releases and used cds. I've found their used vinyl selection to be of thrift shop quality.

Do a search on "Wax Trax" for some chuckles.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't really seek out vinyl shops, but stumbled into the John Varvatos store in the Hard Rock. At the back of the shop past all the clothes is a large collection of vintage electronics and vinyl for sale. Lots of Japanese pressings. All of it outrageously over-priced IMHO, but fun to look at.

5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Interesting...something to check out when I go out there for the CES...:righton:

6. bluesaddict

Did a search and found Record City (3 locations) but I will check out Hard Rock for sure cuz I collect HR pins. Thanks

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is an independent record store located primarily in Phoenix called ZIA. They have one store in Las Vegas as well. They have a pretty good selection of vinyl at the ones in Phoenix.

8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Actually there are two Zia's here in Vegas. Record City has the best selection.
    Wax Trax you need deep pockets.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks much, guys! Hopefully I'll have some great finds to report when I return!

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Wax Trax Records
    2909 S Decatur Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89102
    (702) 362-4300

I saw an ad for this place in the yellow pages, and they claimed to have over a million in stock so when I went out looking I was expecting a huge building, and actually missed it my first time around. Turns out it's a tiny, cramped building (small house?), but it's packed with records, CDs, and memorabilia. There are three floors of music to look through. I spent my time downstairs looking through jazz LPs which took so long I didn't even have time to look through the other sections. The owner seemed a bit stuck-up, and one downside was that none of the used records had price tags on them - after pulling a few out, I showed them to him and he came up with prices off the top of his head, which were far above what I was expecting to pay. If you have the money and are after a particular record, it's a good place to look, but if you're just into casual record shopping, like I am, there are other places in Vegas to go that have more suitable price ranges.

(that review is old)

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I was there in 2007 and there was a sealed copy of Steppenwolf Seven, I asked him the price, he said $50, I left it back and bought a few LPs that were a lot cheaper.

He asked me was I still interested in the Steppenwolf, I said not at that price, he said what price would you like it to be, I said i didn't know, he said how about $30, i said how about $25, he said deal!

I really liked Record City, got some good stuff there!

JG

12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I enjoyed Record City when my wife and I were in Vegas a couple of years back. :)

13. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

avoid wax trax. he used to be in pa. and still pulls the same stuff. beat up lps are costly,nice ones are astronomical.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't even know they existed. Zia is more of a used/new CD place than vinyl at least here.

15. phish

phish Jack Your Body

with so few record stores, i don't avoid any of them.

16. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

Can anyone familiar with the Zia locations in Vegas comment on which of the two stores is better or larger? (I'd probably be looking mainly for CDs, though I will check out vinyl/DVDs/etc. too.) Thanks! :)

17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I work close to the West Sahara Zia's they have a good selection of CD's used & new, decent vinyl selection used & new, DVD's & Blu-Ray used & new. Have only been to the other store on Eastern Ave. once years ago. It's probably about the same.

18. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No, no, no! Damnit, the cat's outta the bag!

Now I'm not gonna find anything for a while!

:cussing: :D

19. bluesaddict

Well I made it....... Now its off to hunt down some vinyl. Thanks all for the info.

20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

See THe Beatles LOVE show!

21. motorcitydave

Yeah, go there, and stay outta my record stores! :D

22. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I haven't been since 2002 or 2003, but I spent over $200.00 at Big B's. Found a Monk LP on Riverisde for $10.00 and most of the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Japanese mini-LP CD's on Arista (Terrapin Station onward) priced at $9.99 for singles and $14.99 doubles. Found several of the Dick's Picks series for around $5.00 or $6.00 per disc. If they are still there the next time I go, I'm definately going to visit them.

Info below found on the internet and on a Big B's Myspace page.

Big B's
    4761 S Maryland Pkwy
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    (702) 732-4433

On April 1st, 1999, Big B's literally made its biggest move: opening its doors at its new (and still current) location at 4761 S. Maryland Parkway in the University Park Shopping Center. Boasting 3,500 square feet of retail space and a far more prominently visable location than its predecessor, Big B's began its quest in earnest to appeal to the hipster cognoscenti and the casual music fan alike. Its first step was to put in place a knowledgeable, courteous staff of employees whose interests collectively read like a pedigree in the history of music. From there, every effort was made to stock the store to the rafters with an intelligent, well-thought out selection of CDs, LPs and DVDs.

Since then, Big B's has regularly appeared at or near the top of local "best of Las Vegas" lists with the city's various newspapers, due largely to its commitment to continually offer the city's most eclectic and varied selection of new and used CDs, LPs and DVDs. Its tradition of quarterly sale continues to this day which has become an event unto itself, bringing customers in from California, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado.

23. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I have spent many hr's and money in Big B's so it comes with deep regret that I have to say that they are out of business as of 3? year's ago.
    Sorry Todd.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The Zia on Eastern is much larger than the one on West Sahara. They do handle some new vinyl as well as new and used CDs and DVDs. Lately, they've started sealing some of their used vinyl in plastic bags, so the opportunity of grading it yourself is hit and miss.

25. motorcitydave

Zia's used vinyl selection ain't that great, imo. Their new vinyl selection is cool. I'm referring to the Eastern store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.