Vinyl v. digital curiosity

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKBubba, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

So the copy of the source sounds better?

2. Leonthepro

Im sorry if Im stupid ;^(

3. Leonthepro

The bottom paragraph I assume is just a better mastering of the LP that comes through even over youtubes compression.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no one is calling you stupid my friend...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  5. Michael

to me yes...but, I may be crazy...AHAHAHA!

Fishoutofwater and Leonthepro like this.
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

Don´t You think it´s a bit odd that You find this big difference between the files. At least it seems very odd to me.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

What if you put the recording on Casette and record it again to digital, would it sound even better?

8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

CDs are easy.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. With well recorded Rock recordings? I don't. I have NEVER heard good sounding drums on a CD. Ask who has heard a CD with good sounding drums and fat and with proper bottom end electric bass guitar. I guess these are nice sounding artifacts or distorsion induced by analog tape recording and they don't translate well to low res CD.
    One curiosity, on Phil Collins album But Seriously everything was tracked to digital on a Sony PCM 3324 tape machine, except for bass and drums which were tracked to analog tape. It was then mixed down to digital. I guess it's a matter of taste, I much prefer drums recorded on analog tape, I find drums (and also bass) recorded on red book digital sounding thin and weird, specialy cymbals.

10. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

So true. I've always wondered why acoustic drums sound so crappy on CD. There must be something inherent in the attack or frequency that analog captures better than digital. Cymbals almost always sound slightly "off" or bizarre.

11. Michael

it would sound the same...; ) LOL...nice try...the key is LP to cassette...

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's because the CD is 16-bit.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about prerecorded cassete titles over compact disc albums ?

14. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

It has nothing to do with 16 or 24 bit. If a master was done properly, it sounds nice on a regular CD.
    If you record a LP to CD with nice equipment (like a PIONEER CD-R recorder), it sounds the same - at least for human ears.

Newton John and Fishoutofwater like this.
  15. Leonthepro

But if the cassette sounds better then wouldnt it continue yo do so if you just recorded your casette again? Why would it only work once and then not?

stetsonic likes this.
  16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Seems odd to me. Perhaps You could upload parts of the files where the difference is obvious.

17. Rollintubes

Rollintubes Active Member

Wow, I don't hear all that you complain about. My records are clean and static free, so no clicks and pops, my cartridge is set up correctly, hence no sibilance. I really like the sound of my distortion.

Rollin

18. Michael

you're freaking me out. : )

19. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Upon further reflection, it has more to do with the way the drums were tracked. If they were tracked to tape and the album was mixed and mastered well, it will transfer well to CD. If the drums were tracked digitally, they generally sound like crap no matter what medium. What throws me off sometimes is when I've become familiar with an album on CD where I think everything sounds good, then listen to it on vinyl all of a sudden all of these things start jumping out of the mix and I hear things I didn't hear before. The drums in particular have a different quality on vinyl.

20. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

If the HF is bizarre -- 9 times out of 10, it is DolbyA encoding not being properly decoded. Dolby A does not sound as bad as those who don't know it might claim, esp with judicious use of -3dB at 3k. (It still sounds bad, though.)

John

21. Leonthepro

How so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.