Vinyls with Stereo Bass?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by House de Kris, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

What the heck are you talking about, exactly?
    And please, it's "vinyl", not "vinyls". Yeesh.

2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:D ...obviously done for effect... (of course, it would appear the channels are reversed in this vid / correct on my LP pressing)

3. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Love - Forever Changes is one of the more challenging records to track for any system. It has hard-panned bass and drums on the same channel! :eek:

The recent Rhino/Elektra reissue is excellent. I doubt many cheap record players could get through it without skipping. Has anyone here heard the MoFi reissue?

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Op is brilliant. Did you all miss it?

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

How about some of the early Beatles pingpong stereo recordings? They had the entire band on one channel and all the vocals in the other. So the bass ought to be in one channel as well.

PhilBiker, BuddhaBob and Bananas&blow like this.
  6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Despite the syntax, I think the question is a legitimate one of interest. I don't know the answer, though a list of records where the tracks weren't combined into a mono signal might be interesting. Right now, I am running by 15 inch subs summed at a 50hz crossover point which enables me to use a small DSP add on unit. I know a few tape heads who say one big difference playing back over 15 ips two track is the bass remains in stereo and is not summed. I've heard some of those tapes and they are impressive, not just in the bass region. So, I'm down wit da thread. :)
    Yours, etc.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  7. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Evan Brewer - Two Basses:

basie-fan and Bananas&blow like this.
  8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Triple Basses:

Bake, Robert M., SirMarc and 4 others like this.
  9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If there are two or more records - the root word 'bi' is applicable. So the correct term is binyls. Not vinyls.

SirMarc, aoxomoxoa, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Big Bi Bass Binvyls?

11. triple

triple Senior Member

Since vinyls is controversial, why not call it platters? It should be no less wrong.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. acceler8

acceler8 New Member

It may not be your thing, but a lot of Metallica albums have the double bass drums dual-miked. Back in the day (with dual Kicker 15" solo-barics in my car and from a CD) you could clearly hear the double-bass on '...And Justice for All'. I haven't played my vinyl copy since I got dual subs in my home setup. Thanks for suggesting a homework assignment!!

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

So like one kick in L and one in R? Insane!!!

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Doesn't Paperback Writer have the bass coming out of a single speaker? Lady Madonna too. Probably lots more.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Bass and "in justice for all " in one sentence, wow!

Farmer Mike and SirMarc like this.
  16. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

"Something" by The Beatles.

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member Thread Starter

To be clear, when I asked about stereo bass, the word 'bass' was not referring to an instrument, but rather a portion of the audio spectrum. The lower end of the spectrum to be exact. So, a bass instrument could be in only one channel, but the very lowest frequencies from this instrument may be coming from both speakers. Likewise, the upper end of the spectrum of this same instrument would be coming from just one speaker, but that's not the point of this thread. The same signal from both speakers would imply mono. After reading some of these suggestions, it occurred to me that the Ramones first album has drums and vocal in the center, guitar in one channel and bass guitar in the other. I have this album, so I can check it out to see if frequencies below, say, 120Hz come from only one channel or both. Alas, the turntable Waxfreak somehow photographed in my home died a couple weeks ago with a flash, bang, and a large puff of smoke. Thus, it may be a while before I can get any firsthand analysis of the Ramones.

18. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I thought that the limitations of vinyl meant that the lowest bass frequencies had to be in the center?

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

However there was a ton of mic bleed on those recordings. The channels weren't isolated.

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Doesn't this depend on the recording level? I have to believe there are many classical LPs with stereo bass information. You can't arbitrarily pan different sections of the orchestra around. I think this is just an artifact of amplified bass and big pipe organ music.

21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

You gonna getcha some bong-rattling vinyls there , baby !

22. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

It's no wonder then, why their first album master blew the cutter head, and 2016 remaster almost did the same @ Abbey road studios. :D

23. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I like rekkids.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  24. John

John Senior Member

Im not sure you can have stereo bass on a record. With bass frequencies panned hard left and right, I believe the cutting engineer would use an elliptical equalizer which sums to mono below a chosen crossover frequency. On a vintage hardware unit crossover points would be something like 75/150/300Hz, which the engineer would choose based on the situation. Would be interested to know if someone checks a record and the the frequencies go to mono around one of these frequencies.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

[​IMG]

fnord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.