Virginia Beach Record Stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Chris Schoen, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!! Thread Starter

Are there any worthwhile record stores in the Virginia Beach (Va.) area?
    Thanks for any suggestions. :wave:

2. Mr. Dependable

Mr. Dependable New Member

I had an enjoyable stop at Birdland Music when my daughter's soccer team played a tournament in VaBeach a few years ago. Family owned for decades, the current owner's brother is a friend of mine in NC, and Barry is knowledgeable and gracious. I should have brought a lot more cash with me on that trip.

It's in a strip mall, and not real close to the beach, but worth the trip.

3. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

That Birdland place looks great. Now I know what to do when I go visit my sister. :D

BTW, could a Gort move this to the Music Store Guide?

4. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

So, I'm going to visit my sister this weekend. Any other spots I might wanna check out, for used CDs and the like?

5. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Well, I got back yesterday. Other than Birdland (which was nice, though smaller than I expected) I went to the FYE on V. Beach Blvd and Constitution Dr, near the Town Center. That store used to be called Planet Music (or something like that) and it is huge. It has the biggest Used CD section I've ever seen. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area, along with Birdland.

6. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Birdland is small, but the staff is extremely friendly and loves talking about music. Not a huge vinyl selection, but you can find some diamonds in the rough. I found a nice promo copy of JJ Cale's "5" while hunting through the bins.

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

If you are into vinyl, if you travel up the road to Richmond you will find one of the best records stores in the state. They carry CDs and other stuff too, but vinyl is their specialty.

www.plan9music.com

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Going to be in VA Beach(ish) briefly Tuesday to see Janet Jackson in Portsmouth. Might have time on my hands - gonna leave DC EARLY because traffic snarls between here and there tend to be an issue.

Glad to see this thread: if I get there way before showtime, I'd like to hit some stores. The FYE seems good.

Birdland might be fun, but I'm only after used CDs. Is their stock of those worthwhile?

9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I have not been in Birdland in awhile, but they never had much of a used section. FYE is better.

10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

^^^
    What he said. For used CDs, skip Birdland and go to the FYE near the Town Center. The used section is all the way to the back. Have fun!

11. Oatsdad

Thanks! :righton:

Are any of the other FYEs down there any good? Looks like there are a handful even closer to the NTELOS Pavilion. Sounds like the town center one is the best, but I'd like to hit others if they'd be worth it. I know FYEs can be hit or miss...

12. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

The only other FYE I've been to is the one inside Lynnhaven Mall. Nothing special, as you might expect from an indoor mall store. The Town Center store is stand-alone and much, much bigger.

13. Oatsdad

Cool! That's the definite destination - I'll drop by others if I have time.

To recap, the FYE is pretty much "it" in the area if I want to hunt for used CDs, right?

14. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

As far as I know. Mind you, I don't live in the area myself; I only go to visit my sis every couple of years. She isn't a music freak like me, so no help there. ;)

15. Oatsdad

But she's letting me stay over at her house, right? :D

16. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

:unhunh:

17. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Colin, Any idea when you will be at FYE? My office is just down the street and I would be interested in stopping by to meet you while you are in town.

18. Oatsdad

Too late now! :(

I was on a loose schedule anyway - I went down for a concert and would've found it tough to predict my arrival. Next time I head down for a show, I'll let you know! :wave:

19. Oatsdad

FYI, FYE was a bust - well, as far as stuff I wanted to purchase. I saw some interesting titles but nothing I was willing to buy.

If someone wants an instant DCC Creedence collection, head on over there. They had at least four - and maybe all five - of the CCR DCCs on the used shelves. Prices ranged from $25 - $45 per CD. They also have a "buy three, get one free" deal, so that'd help shave costs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.