Visiting Russia soon... what should I check out?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

My good buddy recently moved back to Moscow. I'm visiting for 2 weeks in August. We'll be visiting St. Petersburg as well.

Any shops I should check out? Any equipment or stuff I should try to find and smuggle/ship back? :)

2. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Hello, Brian! An interesting question.
    And I have mine.

What kind of equipment or stuff, other than Soviet/Russian-made, do you think could you find in Russia, that you couldn’t find in California? Russian-made under license? Yes, but what for?
    Or you are interested especially in Soviet/Russian-made equipment?

Anyway, there are some general warnings.

“Residential” voltages and frequencies in USA and Russia are different: 120 V 60 Hz USA and 220 V 50 Hz Russia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country#Voltages
    Very many equipment units have “universal” 100-240 V mains supply voltage or a special switch for different voltages. Take care of having 120 V mains supply voltage on your potential purchase.

Many equipment types are indifferent to mains supply frequency, many are not. Fortunately, modern mfrs generally indicate working voltage(-s) and frequency(-ies) on labels on the rear panel (for example, “100-240 V. 50-60 Hz”). What is to avoid, it’s PAL video equipment with its 50 Hz 25 fps (USA’s NTSC working in 60 Hz 30 fps), which may cause light flickering in scenes lightened with 60 Hz blinkering lamps on normal video camera shutter speeds, conversion problems in NTSC countries etc.

For FM tuners or portable radios, 87.5-108 MHz ones are just of the worldwide standard, but what for to buy such there? Take care to not buy a 65-73 MHz Soviet/Russian-made tuner or portable radio, absolutely useless in USA.

Anyway, if your question does not aim especially at Soviet/Russian-made equipment, I’d say what for to tempt fate? If it does, maybe someone has already recommended some types/models of Soviet/Russian-made equipment? In such a case, it’s a collector/fan’s affair. I couldn’t be an advice-giver there. Especially if your good buddy is not a Hi-Fi man.

Linger63 likes this.
  3. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I would forget audio for a couple weeks and focus on other stuff! But maybe you can find some deals on tubes or something.

Linger63 and james like this.
  4. Russian women?

Satrus, stef1205, helter and 16 others like this.
  5. Like Mazzy said. Heck, go chase some tail.

6. Brian Gupton

My fiance will be in tow, but maybe I can convince her of the importance of chasing Russian tail. ;)

helter, Coricama, Dave and 4 others like this.
  7. Brian Gupton

Actually, tubes were the first thing that came to mind. But really, I was thinking more in terms of good HiFi shops that might carry some crazy esoteric stuff only available there that I could go listen to. More entertaining to me than visiting some boring museums.

8. OOPS! :laugh::angel:

Brian Gupton likes this.
  9. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Vodka...caviar

Brian Gupton, Dave, forthlin and 2 others like this.
  10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

The Mariinsky Ballet (formerly Kirov) and the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.

formu_la likes this.
  11. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

In Russia, gear checks out you! :D

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Moscow is a wonderful place this summer. The current trend is the "culture hubs" - old soviet parks or factories totally transformed over the last couple of years into ultramodern hipster paradise - places like Gorky Park, Red October, Museon, Artplay, Vinzavod etc are amazing to hang out any way you like. In terms of "hip" and "cool" central Moscow puts NYC or LA to shame these days but you got to know the right places be it modern art, clubs or cafes. Don't miss the amazing scene of thousands of people dancing on the bank of Moscow River in the Gorky Park each day around midnight for example. Then there are some fantastic outdoor fests almost each week.

13. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Oh, and Cuban Rum!

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

And Cuban cigars

GuildX700 and Metralla like this.
  15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Definitely. The vodka is so different than here and so good.

Check out Russian Chineese restaurants. Also go to the art flea markets. Visit Red Square and the mall.

Visit the Kremlin museum (a must see).
    Visit Peter the Greats home.

Have dinner on a tour boat on the Moscow river.

Take several hundred dollars in brand new one dollar bills. This will come in handy you will see.

They love Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

Enjoy!

morinix likes this.
  16. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Beautiful.

GuildX700 and Mazzy like this.
  17. If your looking for a good music store, I recommend Purponi Legion. It used to be one of my favorite haunts when I was living there.

If you can tolerate the traffic or get on a train, I recommend seeing Sergiev Posad. It's a well kept monastery north of Moscow. The cathedrals there top anything inside of the Kremlin. Prepare to fork over some cash. Moscow ain't cheap.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  18. Sheesh now I wanna' go

forthlin likes this.
  19. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

In Soviet Russia, you don't check out Russia.... Russia check out YOU!

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Purple Legion is alive (though in a different location) but a pathetic shadow of it's former self. Most music stores died a pitiful death over the last few years. The only one still standing proud is Transylvania.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

RonW, Moscow's a totally different city these days though the old places of interest still stand of course. Bolshoi is open after years of renovation so is Tretyakovka. The Novodevichi monastery is totally worth visiting. But it's the beautiful places like Patriki (Patriarchi Ponds) in the center that give a good idea of Moscow as well as the new places that I mentioned a few posts above that are pure Moscow 2014.

As for the restaurants - why go chinese in Moscow when there are lots of great russian restaurants as well as unique and awesome kinds of ethnic cuisine from all over former USSR that are nowhere to be found in the West? I mean ukrainian, georgian, azeri, uzbek etc? Restaurant scene in Moscow is incredible these days but of course you need to know the right places. If Brian wants some recommendations he can PM me anytime.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Brian Gupton likes this.
  22. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Try some Ukranian restaurants...

Coricama likes this.
  23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Definetely. Even the not so expensive chain "Taras Bulba" is extremely good for getting to know ukrainian cuisine.

24. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

St. Petersburg will be a jewel of your visit. Nothing is boring about their museums.
    I am sure you will also find hi-end hi-fi shops in Moscow. Russians like quality music gear. But things are quite expensive these days.
    And don't be alone in a dark street. Watch your wallet also.
    They used to have a different museums ticket prices for foreigners and locals in 90s (i am not sure if it is still the case). So it would be better if some Russian friend bought it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.