Visually, your favourite films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Stunningly beautiful. Sadly Carrol Ballard gave up making films after Duma flopped. He kept trying to make the "family films" that people claimed they wanted - and didn't come to see.

I believe One From The Heart is his most beautiful film.

One I don't believe has been mentioned is Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It is the single best example of cell animation. Even the best Warner Brothers and Disney animation was only animated "on the 2s" - 12 frames per second out of 24 frames per second. Roger Rabbit and all the other characters were animated every single frame so they would match the live characters in motion and not judder. And of course all of the Toons had full shadows and depth shading. No other cell animated film has ever touched it. The closest was the 60 frame per second animation of Glen Keane's Duet, but that was basically only chalk lines.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And beautiful chalk lines they were. We don't see enough "pure" animation-for-animation's-sake these days. Some day you have got to look at another jaw-dropping "artwork" (literally) that was also nominated for an Academy Award last year: a consideration of the life of Vincent Van Gough...illustrated with constaltly-morphing paint/drawings based on his actual works: Loving Vincent.

(I can't believe it's actually posted here - I feel like I owe somebody admission just to bring this to you)

And before the night I first saw that, my pick would have been Samsara.

DaveySR and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Me & Earl & The Dying Girl

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I like Rodger Rabbit ",but single best " is plain crazy

5. Groundcat

Groundcat Forum Resident

some of my favorites:

The Trouble with Harry
    Paris, Texas
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (VHS)
    The Man Who Wasn't There
    Punch-Drunk Love
    The City of Lost Children

SandAndGlass and Marble Index like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

It's my opinion as an animator. It's the only full length film ever made animated 24 frames per second. Every Disney, every Warner Brothers, every Fleischer Brothers, they're all animated 12 frames per second. You can't call it "crazy" if you don't have an alternative to propose. Richard Williams is a genius animator, and this is the greatest thing that he ever completed (sadly, his masterwork The Thief and the Cobbler was basically destroyed by investors.)

budwhite likes this.
  7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

[​IMG]

Dario Argento SUSPIRIA

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Its Pure Taste ,but I don't think anything done after 1950 is that interesting to me ,I like Fleischer,Disney,and Warners.MGM,but don't care about UPA
    As for frames per second ,I would gladly give that up for hand inked cells and Great background painting ,not to mention Rodger Rabbitt is full of classic characters Williams didn't come up with ,he did a great job ,but Pinocchio it ain't

9. Chris DeVoe

Roger and Jessica are great characters (though Jessica's obvious influence was Red Hot Riding Hood.) I don't see hand painted cells as particularly important, the least artistic element of classic animation.

10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Just came across your post again... Do movie theaters show classic films in these formats? I have never put much thought towards it, but I'd like to check out something like that.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes, but more and more rarely, and probably only in major metropolitan areas or specialty theaters that still run special prints, i.e., the Stanford in Palo Alto, the Hollywood in Portland, Alamo in Austin, and their (disappearing) ilk.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

While it wasn't the greatest movie, I really thought "Jupiter Ascending" had some fantastic vistas/space shots and locations that looked amazing on the big screen...

13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks... I'll keep an eye out.

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Visually Stunning, but all that seems to be on disk is the Director's Cut, which to me, bogs down the original theatrical release to the point that I can't watch it. What a shame.

Incredible effects and was done on a very low budget. Monty Python and the Holy Grail was also done on a showstring budget.

Never seen this one but looks incredible. I liked the natural look of Tess of the D'urbervilles

People have made these comments. It would have never have occurred to me to watch this movie, but I bought the DVD based on what everybody is saying about it visually.

Saw it in 3D, It was an incredible experience for me.

excellent visuals.

Excellent work in ultra low available light.

Visually Stunning.

Yes it was.

Look what they did for that period in time.

Excellent B&W work. Effective use of strong contrasts. They did that in Europe, not so much in America, lower contrasts, lots of flat grey tones. Horror movies look best in B&W

I bought this, have not watched yet.

Fantastic visuals, the color oil painting scenes are genius. It reminded me what Disney did with Fantasia back in its day.

Could you even imagine this in color? NOT!

Striking visuals. Valerian was a movie that was universally panned, but the visual effects are pure eye candy, which is is the most expensive foreign film ever made.

A far better movie, but Besson's movie, The Big Blue was visually striking.

Shot on a low budget, it completely works the way that Days of Heaven works.

Beautiful color.

Along with The Red Shoes it represents the Technicolor process at its finest.

It is all these nuances that really make CGI effects work. The Dobby character in Harry Potter's bedroom has excellently executed animated shadows. Tomorrowland has well placed lens flair effects.

stepeanut and Michael like this.
  15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Blade Runner is readily available in DVD and Blu-ray with five different versions of the film, including the theatrical release.

EDIT: Actually, not "readily available", unless used copies are acceptable. New copies of the Collector's Edition are apparently scarce and expensive.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Though it may not have the typical gorgeous skylines or panning of huge vistas one might associate with visually stunning, I get lost in the black and white and all the tones in between of Tim Burton's Ed Wood. The shadows alone are worth the price of admission. And when you consider how many scenes are of set scenes with their own set of lighting requirements... wow.

[​IMG]

mr. steak and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, it sure was a beautiful movie..I remember when I was very young and seeing the colors of OZ was wonderful still is ...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Saving Private Ryan and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The current U.K. 4K UHD + BD box set has all five cuts on the BD discs, and is reliably said to be region-free. (I didn’t buy the set myself, as I already have the Region A 30th anniversary edition.)

Dinstun likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I seem to remember looking for these some years back, I used to have the original version on VHS and have the extended edition on DVD.

I don't need 4k, either DVD or Blu-ray is fine with me. The 4k TV up-scales DVD's nicely.

Used, is fine with me. Except for the few new release's and special edition's that I sometimes purchase, I try to buy most every movie used.

Dinstun likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would add The Man Who Knew Too Little for sumptuous B&W.

Baroque likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Blow Up. Mid-sixties London just looks so damn gorgeous. Even the ugly bits!

stepeanut likes this.
  23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wow - so even stuff like Snow White and Bambi were 12 frames? I ask because they have that utter lushness to them that I also see in Roger Rabbit, but maybe that has more to do with those hand painted cells.

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Touch of Evil
    The Lady from Shanghai
    Barton Fink
    All Night Long
    The Zombies of Mora Tau
    Rio Grande
    Eraserhead
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Danger: Diabolik
    Curse of the Demon
    The Third Man
    Once upon a Time in the West
    Blade Runner
    The Searchers ( I could probably make a list of just John Ford movies)
    Just about any movie lensed at RKO during the 40's

What did Martin Scorcese say? They are legion...

25. Chris DeVoe

Yep! If you have a DVD or Blu-ray player that can single-step though a disc, you'll see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.