Viynl Scratchy Vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Buzzman3535, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have a pretty decent rig of gear, but one thing in my vinyl playback system that has continued to urk me is scratchy vocals. Seems to be the Achilles heel of my system, both male and female vocals.

I regularly clean my records with an Okki Nokki and feel 95% confident I am doing it right because so many of my records perform flawlessly after cleaning. However, many times after cleaning and I still get scratchy vocals while the other instruments still sound clear, present, and just fantastic.

Is this a record problem? A cleaning problem? A cartridge alignment problem? A worn our stylus?

Not sure where to focus my energy, but it has me on edge to be sure. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I just don't get how the entire sonic presentation can sound so great, but just the vocals seem to be struggling.

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Sounds like you're describing sibilance but the culprit likely lies either a cartridge alignment problem, worn down stylus, groove damage, a badly cut/pressed LP (or conversely, it's a challenging record), or the sibilance is baked onto the recording.

Have you tried playing these records on another turntable?

patient_ot likes this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sounds like poor alignment and cart setup. I have no such issues with my VPI. Resetup your cart checking vta and vtf.

Don’t forget the azimuth too with that rod they provide

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Difficult to diagnose over the internet. Can you record some samples? It could be something as simple as cleaning fluid residue. What fluid are you using and is it one step or a fluid that you do rinse cycles with? Are these new records or old records? How many hours are on your stylus?

Any problems like this with digital or CD playback? Or is this only with LPs?

5. Troy T.

Troy T. Well-Known Member

And is it all of your LP's, or just some?

patient_ot likes this.
  6. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Verify all cartridge alignment parameters and INCREASE vertical tracking force by .1g and play a side and give a listen. I consider cartridge recommended VTF a STARTING point. Most all I have run .3-.6 OVER recommended spec and found that the performance (especially vocals and cymbals) improves considerably. Good luck !

ayrehead likes this.
  7. Buzzman3535

Ok, thanks for the helpful responses:

• Yes just LPs, do not have problem with CDs
    • Just some of the LPs
    • I guess it could be sibliance, but its not really the "Ssss" sounds I would assiociate only with sibliance. Its like across the board on the vocals (on just some records).
    • have benz s cartridge with about 3 years on it (guessing approx 1000 hours on cartridge)
    • Happy to try to fix the cart alignment again...but I have done so many times and think I am at the limit of my knowledge on what to try next. One thing I did not add previously is I have the funk firm achromat installed. So I am trying to use the VPI protractor over the funk firm archromat. Think the issue could be there? What would be the proper way to align the cart with the funk firm on top of my platter?
    • Will try the added tracking force tonight and update.
    Thanks for the help guys.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Time for a retip or a new cart.

9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yeah, as far as I can tell its either a worn stylus, worn grooves or not properly installed. Either way its 3 years old or around 1000 hours so its worn and needs a replacement before your records do. How often do you play records? On average two albums every day perhaps?

10. Buzzman3535

yes definitely 2 a day and then weekends i lose count so many.

So if it is a worn stylus wouldnt it be affecting all my records across the board?

11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Yes but some might sound worse than others.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

One cause of scratchy vocals could be elevation in the 5 kHz to 10 kHz area. Assuming your TT is properly adjusted, that would affect vinyl more than digital if the cartridge has a rise in that range. Some MC cartridges are known for that. A little rise adds immediacy and air; a bigger rise is heard (by me, anyway) as a scratchy sound on many vocals and some irritation on cymbals or violin.

The plot thickens because many speakers also have a little rise there (mine do) to add brilliance. That combined with a toppy cartridge might push it over the edge.

I don't know if that's the case with your setup, of course, but one way of testing would be to try an MM cartridge and see if that makes a difference. A pain, I imagine -- vinyl setup can be -- but it could be helpful.

P.S. Some human voices can sound scratchy or buzzy naturally when pushed in certain ranges. I was started to hear that the first time at an unamplified vocal concert, but I've heard it enough since then to accept it.

plastico likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You gotta buy a second cartridge -that is all there is to it - no one can live with only one cart. I have like 5-6 I can run anytime.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, you'll notice the worn stylus first on records that are difficult to track or that have natural vocal sibilance from the singer's voice. You won't notice degradation on say a tamely cut jazz record. This is why it's better to count hours or do a realistic estimate rather than waiting for audible degradation. By the time you notice it audibly, you are already well past the point you should be using that stylus. See the recent very long thread on stylus wear.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If you're hearing it on multiple records it's most likely this. :)

16. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Did you reset vta when you added the mat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.