VM540ML/H Headshell Questions for Technics SL-1210GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have a Nagaoka MP-200 cart on my Technics SL-1210GR w/ stock headshell. I'm thinking of picking up a VM540ML/H which comes mounted on its own headshell.

The MP-200 weighs 6.5g.
    The Technics headshell is 7.6g according to the manual.
    That makes the two 14.1g.

The VM540ML/H weighs 16.8 g. 16.8 g - 14.1g gives a delta of 2.7g.
    Note the VM540ML by itself weighs 6.4g, close to the MP-200, so the diff is in the supplied headshell.

7.6g for the stock Technics headshell
    10.4g for the VM headshell

I have two questions:

1. Will the VM540ML/H be good to go out of the box, or will I need to make additional adjustments aside from the tracking force? The whole appeal of a pre-mounted headshell is having it professionally set ahead of time. W/O that it kind defeats the main purpose for me. I might as well pick them up separately and mount it myself.

2. Is the supplied headshell that comes with the VM540ML/H fine or should I really opt for a new Technics headshell?

I want to be able to swap the MP-200 and VM540ML on the fly.

I'm assuming all I'll need to adjust is the tracking force between the two when doing so.

According to the 1210-GR manual https://www.technics.com/support/downloads/data/operating-instructions/SL-1200GR_TQBM0053_EB_eng.pdf, the weight range is 14.3 to 20.7 g (including the head shell) so I'm assuming I'm good to go with the VM540ML/H at 16.8. Apparently I'm currently under the range with the Nagaoka at 14.1g. Does that really matter if I set the tracking force appropriately?

I think I'm fine, but just want to throw this out there in case there's anything else I need to consider. Thanks! :)

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I can't be certain about the VM540ML/H, but I purchased a VM95SH/H and needed to make minor alignment changes for my SL-1210MK2.

The stylus wasn't exactly at 52mm. Wasn't a big deal, just used the Technics overhang gauge, loosened the screws, and adjusted the cartridge position.

No issues for me otherwise.

You might need to make VTA adjustments depending on any difference in cartridge height.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    matrix-6 likes this.
  3. matrix-6

Thanks! I forgot about the 52mm and VTA. Haven't touched it since setting up the MP-200.

For anyone looking/interested:

Here are the dimensions for the VM540ML/H

Cartridge by itself: 0.7 x 0.7 x 1.1" / 17.3 x 17.0 x 28.2 mm

Cartridge and Headshell: 0.8 x 0.8 x 2.4" / 21.3 x 21.0 x 60.4 mm

I believe the Nagaoka comes in at 18mm but someone measured it at 17. Nagaoka doesn't mention it in their specs. But it looks like it's within a mm of the VM540ML. Not sure what the dimensions of the Technics tpbga003 headshell is.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

FWIW, these carts are voiced pretty similarly. The MP-200 has a smoother, more balanced top end and is just a better sounding cart as a result, IMO. But that is really about the only difference. The rest of the sonic spectrum is practically identical.

5. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Just get the cartridge and mount it on your own headshell.

1) The pre-mounted cart still needs to be aligned. It's not plug and play.

2) Carts on Technics arms can be very easily aligned with the included gauge.

3) Your Technics headshell is probably better suited to your Technics turntable than the AT one.

luckybaer and snorker like this.
  6. matrix-6

It's more of a cost thing. I think the Technics headshell goes for $100 or so. The AT one comes out to $40.

7. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Does your TT not already have a headshell? If not, then by all means go for the package deal.
    You will still need to adjust the cart though, and there is a chance the alignment gauge won't work with an AT headshell.
    You can still easily do that yourself with a protractor and a little patience though.

8. matrix-6

I saw your comments in the VM540ML thread. I'm mainly interested in the microline stylus for inner groove distortion and picking any extra details as it runs deeper in the grooves. That and wear over time. I hear the microline lasts longer and does less damage over time, although I'm not that concerned about the latter. I don't imagine my MP-200 is doing much damage even if it is an elliptical measuring 0.4 x 0.7 mil. What's interesting is Nagaoka lists that as a "Superfine elliptical diamond", but this site rates those dimensions as budget: Stylus Shape Information | Soundsmith . I don't think of the MP-200 as the low end for elliptical styli. :)

9. matrix-6

I want to keep the MP-200. So I need two headshells to swap between them. The idea is to get the AT when the MP-200 is on the way out but not completely out.

BTW, if swapping them isn't trivial once I set the AT up, then I might not bother. The idea was to just swap out headshells when the mood strikes. Having to set them up each time kind of defeats that. I love the MP-200 so I'd be better off just getting a new stylus in that case. Unless of course the microline of the AT makes a difference.

Mmmark likes this.
  10. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

FWIW, I was also following that thread, and after much deliberation opted for the VM95ML instead of the VM540ML. Everything I read or heard convinced me the VM95 is a better match compliance-wise on a Technics arm, and that I was unlikely to hear a difference either way.
    I immediately put the cash difference to good use :)

matrix-6 likes this.
  11. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

As long as the carts are aligned to the same arm, you can definitely swap them by swapping headshells. You may need to account for different VTF and AS though.
    Still, easy enough.

matrix-6 likes this.
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

IMO, the Boron Cantilever in the MP-200 is the far more important aspect. It allows the resonance to be shifted up and allows the critical, audible frequencies to remain neutral. It’s a vastly superior cart, IMO.

If there is anything going on in vinyl playback that is more overrated than stylus tip, I don’t know what it is. Not that it is not important, but there other equally important elements to a great sounding cart.

I’m not discouraging your idea, mind you. I’ve owned a couple of Vm540MLs and they are great, but each time I’ve ended up selling them.

I would say that a properly set up MP-200 should not be producing IGD, and the VM540ML will not (to my ears) pick up more detail.

Dr. J. likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

KAB has some technics headshells very cheap - just use one of those they work really well. I have like 5 or 6 carts all mounted in their own head shells for use at a moments notice.

Jbird and Mmmark like this.
  14. matrix-6

Thanks. I appreciate it. As for IGD, not sure what music you listen to, but a classic that has horrible IDG is Telecommunication, the last track on Flock of Seagulls self titled album. If you have access to a copy give it a listen. I have no idea if the VM will help in that case. It could just be a case of trying to put too much on a single side of an album and/or poor mastering.

15. matrix-6

Thanks! Do you mean the HS-1? I just looked it up and man that is cheap. Do you have to do much adjusting when swapping them?

rebellovw likes this.
  16. matrix-6

Interesting. I will check it out.

17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Heck I'd get a KAB ProS30 (OM30) over any entry level AT. My AT ML picks up noise - I like it -but I much prefer the OM30 and no alignment necessary - just plug it in - set the VTF, antiskate and VTA.

18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - that is the one - works wonderfully - just use the plastic Technics gauge to setup.

matrix-6 likes this.
  19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

When I swap carts - (with carts already aligned in the head shell) - all I have to do is set the VTF, AS and VTA - takes about 3 minutes. Part of the fun with owning a Technics. Now that I have a second arm - I can swap carts quickly on my VPI too.

Really makes the hobby interesting.

matrix-6 and Tim1954 like this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If you are strictly worried about IGD you could just buy a plug and play AT-VM95ML (or SH) which will already be mounted on a headshell. It will fit your table. And you don’t need to overthink it. If it won’t track that record, forget it.

21. matrix-6

Why not the VM540ML/H? It's mounted on a headshell. Tracking isn't the issue. Never had a problem with the MP-200. Just curious if the ML will make a difference with IDG as everyone was claiming in the other thread. And I figure why not, it's part of the fun. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No reason except the VM95 is like $100 cheaper and frankly a bit more balanced in terms of tonality to my ears.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  23. matrix-6

$100 isn't an issue.

Here are the specs:

VM540ML Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge

AT-VM95ML Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge

I'm hearing the 540ML sounds slightly more open while the VM95ML sounds more rounded? I'm not a fan of compression. The 540ML is rated at 28 dB (1 kHz) channel separation while the VM95ML is rated at 23 (dB at 1 kHz). Not sure how much of a difference that or the other differences make.

24. matrix-6

So, if I remember correctly, you prefer the MP-200 correct? Have you tried the VM95 and 540ML on your system? How do they compare?

I also have a Pro-Ject Carbon Classic with an Ortofon 2M Blue on a 2M silver cart. It sounds precise and "modern" for lack of a better description compared to the MP-200. The MP-200 sounds more alive to my ears.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I prefer the MP-200, yes. But they are both great.

The channel separation is better on the 540, but I’m not sure that is true of the 95SH. I like the SH slightly better then the ML on the VM95, but they are very close.

I’ve owned all of these carts and played with them a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.