Vocal songs where the actual hook or chorus is played by an instrument

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elgreco, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

The guitars in Status Quo's "Pictures of Matchstick Men"

goodiesguy and McLover like this.
  2. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

This is a great song (and a great album).

Khaki F likes this.
  3. murrow1971

murrow1971 Forum Resident

I think the OP confused many as to what the prompt was. This song clearly has the chorus sung by Fagen. Yeah the horn part is catchy, but in no way the chorus. "Birthday" could be an example.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

So then we're looking for songs in which an instrumental section totally replaces the chorus. Got it. Thanks.

5. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

This.
    With the exception of Blue Monday, most replies list songs with a catchy instrumental hook.

On "I.G.Y", the horn part and the sung "what a beautiful world..." are equally catchy.
    Striking as the organ on "Like A Rolling Stone" is, it is only the equal of the "how does it feel" vocal.
    (coincidentally New Order's own "how does it feel" on "Blue Monday" is indeed only secondary to the instrumental hooks)
    On "Land Of A Thousand Dances", as qwerty noted, we have a sung line like a musical instrument, that's the exact opposite of "Baker Street".

Interesting thread, as I'm struggling to find "another" Baker Street.

6. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister Thread Starter

Thanks, Monosterio (and Mr Sam), for bringing this up. To make things clear - yes, I am looking for songs with a fully instrumental chorus. Songs where the hook IS the chorus, in other words where the actual chorus is played by an instrument only, with no vocal part involved. Which means that songs like The final countdown and A whiter shade (and most of those riff-heavy songs) don't count, because those songs have a chorus that is sung by the lead singer.
    Admittedly, those songs are great examples of where the instrumental hook makes the song stand out on the radio, but I am specifically looking for songs where an instrument comes in at the point where the chorus is supposed to start and, on first listen, you might expect the lead singer to start singing the refrain of the song.

There are a lot of songs that come close, like Who can it be now, where the saxophone plays a big role, but the actual chorus (the title in this case) is sung. Also, there's a lot of songs in which it's not clear what the actual chorus is, like Sultans of swing and Torch. For Torch you could argue that the part 'He's searching, she's showing' is the bridge that leads up to the instrumental chorus, but you could also state that the vocal part near the end (see her eyes, they are bright tonight...) is the actual chorus. So that's a tough one.

So up to now I think very few suggestions fit the actual criteria. Maybe Pantagruel's nativity would count, methinks. And maybe Big log, since that songs doesn't seem to have an actual chorus, but the guitar parts could be considered as such.

Maybe I should have left the word 'hook' off the hook...:) Just think along the lines of Baker street.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Tim S and Mr Sam like this.
  7. Monosterio

War -- "Low Rider"

goodiesguy, StereoMan56, Thom and 5 others like this.
  8. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Madonna - Live To Tell

9. Monosterio

Yeah, the part that threw me off is "hook OR chorus" in the title. Thanks for clarifying.

10. elgreco

Low rider is a pretty good example of what I'm looking for, so I think you've got it. Hopefully your example will enlighten others as well. :righton:

Monosterio likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Smoke On The Water

12. elgreco

Nope, since the song has a vocal chorus. Sure, the riff makes it stand out, but I'm after songs where the actual chorus (not necessarily the same as the hook of the riff) is played by an instrument, with no singing involved at all.

Again - think Baker street.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Mungo Jerry "In the Summertime"

14. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

How about these two Wings-songs:

No Words
    Old Siam, Sir

15. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Mickey and Sylvia - Love Is Strange immediately comes to mind

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

My Sharona is an interesting tune. That bridge is like a different and much, much better song.

17. Monosterio

Jimi Hendrix -- 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

18. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I'm in doubt about Jethro Tull's "No Lullaby".
    The flute appears every time after Ian sings "so I'll sing you no lullaby".

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. django68

django68 Forum Resident

O.M.D. Souvenir

20. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

What about The Cure - Lullabye?

Mr Sam likes this.
  21. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Two songs by McCartney which have a somewhat similar vibe: Rinse the Raindrops and Nod Your Head

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

For me, the hook in The Weight is that piano run before the chorus starts. If you listen to the version with the Staples, you miss that little run, even though Mavis really gets down.

23. PC31

PC31 Forum Resident

Many songs by Led Zeppelin.

MikaelaArsenault and Rojo like this.
  24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

If I understand the OP correctly, "Baker Street" and "Pictures of Matchstick Men" are perfect examples -- the singer sings the title or maybe even the chorus, but the song's primary hook is provided by an instrument. "Walk This Way," "Band of Gold," and "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin" might also qualify.

25. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Purple Haze?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.