VPI 16.5/17 mat/record clamp problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul Chang, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been Thread Starter

My VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine is still functioning just fine even it's getting up there in age - more than 10 years old. The only problem I have is with the record clamp. When I bought it, it came with a foam mat, which I later replaced with a cork mat (standard in the 17?) because (1) it got attracted by static on the record that has been vacuumed too dry, and (2) the record couldn't be fastened by the screw-on clamp - the foam mat got compressed after a while.

At first, both problems were remedied after the mat replacement. The cork mat is glued onto the platter. But the cork mat got compressed as well over time. I resort to using a thick metal 45 adapter as a washer between the clamp and the record. Now the clamp won't work without the washer. From time to time the clamp will get loose when the record is being spun and vacuumed. For those who are familiar with my contortionist routine, you can imagine how the loose clamp can throw me off balance - should I flip the vacuum switch off with my foot or uncover one ear to tighten the clamp. But I get by.

Are you experiencing the same problem of clamp getting loose, with either VPI 16.5 or 17? I think it happens more often with dished/warped records. I wonder if the latest 16.5 has a better clamp.

2. Chris Garrett

Chris Garrett New Member

I'm confused............

I have a two year old 16.5 and this came with a cheap, plastic knob that screws onto the spindle, much like the Kuzma record clamp on my TT.

I have the foam mat, but it's still in pretty good shape. I can tighten a record down pretty snuggly, but I could see the threads on the plastic knob/clamp, getting stripped out and/or wearing down with time, so that you cannot screw the knob onto the spindle. Is this the problem?

As for you not being able to screw this knob down far enough, can't you just take a second cork mat and lift the record surface up a bit more, so the knob will cinch down with more pressure?

Call VPI and get a new knob if yours is worn out.

Good luck, Chris

3. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Paul, I would think VPI would have a fix for this or the parts to retro-fit your machine with the newer table and clamp. Try contacting them and let me know how it goes. My 16.5 is on back order so my discs go unvac'd at this time.

4. Paul Chang

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

My clamp is a similar, if not the same, black plastic knob (about 1" in diameter). Its thread is just fine after all those years of wear and tear (if any). The problem I have now is that even with the clamp screwed all the way down, it can't even touch the record label without a washer. I think the part of the mat around the spindle has been compressed too much. The metal 45 adapter works just fine as a washer but a slip of my fingers will make it slide on the record like a hockey puck.

I don't know if the new 16.5 has a thicker knob or its spindle has a deeper thread. I'll post the measurements when I get home tonight.

5. Paul Chang

Dave,

Don't let my problem dissuade you from getting your 16.5. It's great machine with very solid build. The clamping problem is a little annoying but it's not a bit deal. It only takes a thicker and bigger knob (or a washer) to solve it.

The only other issue is a rotten screw hole for one of the four rubber feet, which was probably caused by waste fluid overflow - not a big deal either. The 16.5 relies on evaporation to rid of the waste fluid. Just make sure it won't spill on something valuable, such as your records or Persian rugs.

I'll contact VPI and see what they have to say, then post here.

Brrry likes this.
  6. Paul Chang

The black plastic clamp of my VPI 16.5 is 1" in diameter and 1/2" in height. The spindle is slightly over 3/4" tall above the mat and its thread is about half the height. When the clamp is screwed down all the way, it does not touch the cork mat with a 5/32" clearance. (It should contact the mat when it was new.)

7. Paul Chang

VPI's response

I sent VPI an email last night and got a reply this morning. Quick response! I will think twice about VPI's remedy and will definitely put a small block of wood between the hammer and the spindle if I do give it a tap down. :)

[VPI's suggestion]
    What may be happening is the spindle is being pulled up with time and use. Try taking off the platter (three screws 1.5" from center of spindle under the cork mat) and tap the spindle back down so it is level with the bottom of the platter. This is probably the fix.

Mike

8. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Paul, It's nice to hear VPI responded with a logical fix so quickly. I don't have one yet so I can't fully visualize why the spindle would get pulled up. Seems like you'd have to put some real torque on that clamp to make that happen. Anyway, at least they gave you a low cost fix to start with. Try it and let me know if that works.

9. Tristan

Tristan Member

Nice to know VPI really backs their products! Since you have 7 years on me, Paul, I am happy to know that this tank will keep rolling! I haven't had even the slightest of trouble with mine.
    Dave, bet you can't wait for that back order! Despite all the bashing my 17 took in that poll, I still love it. It is superb in every way, the automatic function couldn't be much better. These products really do set the standard for LP cleaning. Best of luck to you, Paul.

10. Paul Chang

Tristan,

Didn't mean to bash your 17. You ought to get a 16.5 brush for serious scrubbing, though. I still think 16.5 makes more economic sense but who says this hobby is supposed to? If money is not an issue and I have enough space, I'll have a 17F sitting right next to my 16.5 for cleaning brand new virgin vinyl and leave the little brother to do the dirty work. ;)

11. Paul Chang

Just gave my old 16.5's spindle a good tap down. Did put a plastic Coke bottle cap between it and the hammer. Silly me to think the mat could have been squeezed into having negative thickness but I did apply some good torque on the clamp. :rolleyes: Now the "washer" can be moved back to its original duty as a 45 adapter.

12. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

That's great Paul! It's nice that VPI was able to provide a self-applied fix instead of making you send the thing back to them for repair. I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.