VPI Aries Scout/JMW-9

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wie Gehts?, Dec 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

I'm preparing to get back into vinyl and have decided on the subject turntable/tonearm combination but remain undecided as to which cartridge would be appropriate.

I have a conrad-johnson tube preamp but it's a linestage only, so of course I'll also need to acquire a phono stage. Does it make sense to use a separate phono stage with my existing pre and if so, what are some decent ones?

I plan on soliciting suggestions from the folks at Red Trumpet and Music Direct but would enjoy hearing your recommendations, as well. Thanks in advance!

2. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I cannot say what the best way to set your system up is,but I will say that the Scout sounds better than any digital player I have ever heard. The cartridge I am using is a Dynavector DV-20X. Enjoy!

Tim

3. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I have a Music Hall MMF9 turntable (thanks prix!) and am very happy with it. Even for a mechanically challenged person like myself, it was very easy to set up. The cartridge and arm comee already attached, and there is a bubble level built in so it is easy to level. Also, it has a pushbutton to change speeds from 33 to 45, which is a lot easier than other TT's where you have to change a belt or somethin'. Music Hall also has an inexpensive phono stage ($100 or so) that you could use for the time being. That's what I"m using at the moment. Here is the link to the MMF-9:

http://www.musichallaudio.com/products/products.asp?lookup=mmf 9

4. Rivendell61

Rivendell61 New Member

Dreamcatcher,
    My Scout/JMW-9 has a Shure V15. Sounds great.
    VPI likes the V15 as a match....I asked!

Another cart mentioned was the Grado Sonata (which, I think, comes in two forms: high and low output).

The V15 is liked by VPI, and our Forum host (SH), it has a replaceable stylus, and only costs $199.

VPI also sells Scouts with Dynavector 10's and 20's--so I they must like them as well.

Hope you find one you like. The Scout is terrific!

Mark

Rickchick likes this.
  5. audio

audio New Member

Glad you like the table, George!:righton: For the money, I think the Music Hall tables are superb. They sound wonderful and for an audiophile unit, are extremely easy to set up and operate. That is quite nice having a speed changing feature on the 9. In the past, I've tended to not play 45s just because I never felt like the pain of removing the platter and changing the belt after every other song. I also happen to think the Scout is a phenomenal table and an excellent value. If I had to compare the two, I would say that the Scout is better built and a tad cleaner sounding but can also come across as thin. The Music Hall seems more musical, and slightly more robust. Dreamcatcher, does your CJ have a phono stage? I'm not sure what you mean there.

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Same here 20x-h on recommendation of Harry, the designer of the T/T. As a matter of fact VPI like the combo so much they sell it themselves.

Rickchick likes this.
  7. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Prix,

My c-j is a linestage only; it does not include a phono section. At the time I bought it, I foolishly assumed I would never want to spin licorice pizzas again. I did a search for "outboard phono stage" on the Vinyl Asylum forum and unearthed quite a bit of info on this topic.

Many thanks to all who proffered suggestions! :)

8. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Dreamcatcher
    I would consider the EAR 834. Much has been said about this phono pre. When they go up for sale on Audiogon, they last about 1 day. From what I have read the model without the volume control is the one to get.
    Tim

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

10. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Lucky man

HI Rivendell61!

Lucky you *s*

If I had the money, I’d love to buy this combo too …
    /JJ

P.S. I wonder which budget phono pre amp gives most bang for the buck? Perhaps 150 dollars and more.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Doesn't conrad johnson have a phono stage upgrade?

12. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

IMHO, i'd most definitley consider a Shelter 501 mkII or if you want to go really nice the 901. A very beautiful cartridge indeed... unless you want bragging rights with fellow audiophiles concerning brand names and such... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.