VPI Classic 2 and VPI SDS speed controller issues.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by arcticman1970, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arcticman1970

arcticman1970 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do any of you VPI Classic and VPI SDS speed controller owners had issues getting the both of them to work together?

I bought a VPI Classic 2 a few weeks ago, great turntable by the way, and have added the VPI SDS speed controller just a few days ago and so far have had very little success getting the SDS to work as it should.Whenever the turntable is powered by the SDS it takes about 5-10 seconds to enter it's start up phase,meaning it will flash 115-72 volts on the front panel for 5-10 seconds before finally display 115 volts and start.

Running the SDS at 72 volts doesn't work,the turntable just slows down to a point where the unit will revert back to 115 volts and get the speed back up,to avoid this never ending cycle I had to take the 33 rpm voltage up to 102 volt at wich point it becomes stable.I haven't played much with the 45 rpm settings as the SDS wont speed up the turntable so it just runs at 33 rpm no matter what speed has been selected on the front panel.

To make a long story short, have any of you guys experience something similar and if you how was it fixed?

2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have the Classic 2 and was thinking of adding the SDS, so I am interested in hearing input from other owners as well.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The first thing to do is contact VPI. They are very helpful. If you have done that what did they say? It could be that the unit is defective.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  4. macster

macster Forum Resident

Amen!

Mine
    1. Turn on the SDS 115 for a sec
    2. Drops to 72
    3. Turn on the motor flashs 115 for a sec and then drops to 84
    M~

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I thought the new tt's were not compatible with that? I could be wrong but I thought I read that someplace.

6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Do you find the SDS makes a $1,200 difference in the Classic?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Good catch. Rereading the OP it seems he bought the turntable and SDS possibly from two different sources. There is a .68uf cap I believe that is added to make it compatible with the SDS unless the very latest models are different. Again the OP needs to contact VPI to determine the exact requirements for his model.

8. arcticman1970

I emailed them a couple days ago about those issues, I just thought I would ask members here if they went through something similar in the meantime.

9. arcticman1970

Same source just not at the same time both were bought brand new a few weeks apart, I wasn't aware of the ".68uf cap" issue whatever that is...

10. macster

macster Forum Resident

Nope!

When I had my Classic, the Ring, and the Record weight made the most difference. I would also throw in a heavier counter wg, either the 160 or 180gm. The most cost effective thing that in my system was to adjust the speakers using the Cardas method.

M~

Coricama and hi_watt like this.
  11. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

12. arcticman1970

13. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I'm the first replier in that Agon thread. Sounds like you probably just need the new cap. Just fire an email to VPI and they'll send you one. It is very easy to replace (and I'm not the mechanically included sort!).

Good luck!

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks!

15. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I've heard the VPI w/a Walker Audio Speed Controller. Picks up the VPI performance a couple of notches. It works w/just about any TT.

16. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I don't have the Classic but I use my SDS unit with my Scoutmaster and it has been perfect since day one...

17. arcticman1970

The problem seems to be exclusively related to the Classic and SDS unit at least from what I have read thus far.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What is the VPI SDS speed controller?

19. arcticman1970

It took a while but I finally got an answer from the company, those with recently built Classics thinking about adding the SDS controller should be aware that it is not a simple plug and play add-on.

"The newest versions of the Classic 2 use a 24V AC motor controlled by a built in frequency generating power supply. That is why the SDS need to run at 105+ volts to be feed it properly.To get full usage of the SDS, where you can adjust the speed using the front panel, you need to convert to a 115V motor and a straight power cord entry. We can do that for you, it is a $100.00 charge+shipping, but we woul need the table base balk here (no arm, no platter) just the base."

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

Uhmmm

In all actuality it may not be necessary to use the SDS with the new Classic 2 table. It is probably more cost effective to spend those funds else where.

Just some thoughts.

M~

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Talk to them on the phone. I had a small issue and a question on a table I had just purchased a few months ago from one of their competitors.

I send them an email which had my phonies number in my signature. I got a call about 2-3 hours which helped me solve it.

22. arcticman1970

Exactly, now I either spend more money so that the unit ends up working like it is supposed to or sell it at a nice loss...At least the table is great.

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

You can check to see if you can return the SDS or spend the extra money which is not a lot (easy for me to say) and get everything working together. FYI, IMHO the record weight and ring make a larger difference than the SDS with the Classic. This opinion is based on my older version of the Classic. The dealer that you worked with should make this right for you, and it just makes good sense that he would.

M~

24. arcticman1970

Obviously had I known what I know now I wouldn't have bought the unit but there are no mentions of these issues between the "new" Classic 2 and the SDS anywhere on the internet at least that I know of.Paying a couple hundred bucks and being without a turntable for a few weeks isn't the end of the world but there is a good chance that these modifications will down the road affect the resale value of the turntable,that part I don't like too much...

25. Seriously, contact VPI. I hear they are a great company to deal with and there is a rep lurking these threads. Maybe find and inbox him?? Couldn't hurt.

ellingtonic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.