VPI Classic Direct Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone on the forum own one of these? I am seriously considering getting one. Would appreciate an current owners impressions.

2. Suppertime

Suppertime Member

It seems to me that based on VPI's own forums MW and HW have all but stated you cant really do much better than their Prime, when you consider the money involved. I would save the $20-$25k or pump it into other parts of your system if you really have $$$ to burn. Maybe try their HRX table as a compromise?

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

If I had the money, I would get one. Logical arguments aside. :D

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The VPI factory isn't that far away in NJ, and they're very welcoming. If I was going to buy one I'd have a long audition session at VPI, probably bringing my current 'table along for comparison. That said, if I had the money I'd buy one unheard.

And I think it's more correct to say the new Avenger with mag drive platter is what is very close to the Direct.

John K.

5. Tony Plachy

OK folks, I did not poost this thread for a discussion on what TT to buy. I am going to answer some of your questions and then I hope only people who have actual experience with the Classic Direct will post.

I have auditioned the following TT's: AMG, Sprial Groove and both the VPI Avenger and the Classic Direct. I decided I like the Classic Direct the best.

John K, Thank you for your post, I have thought about making a visit to VPI.

6. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Tony, I would definitely make the trip to VPI if you're considering dropping this kind of cash on a table. I know HW has stated that he feels the Avenger Reference gets so close to the DD that it's splitting hairs at that point, but if money is no object, why not? I think he also has an Avenger with a DD motor in it, so that would be another dream table you could listen to, albeit very expensive I imagine. Anyway you look at it, that's one hell of a day of listening! Keep us posted, good luck.

7. Tony Plachy

An Avenger with a DD motor, I would like to hear that.

8. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I would buy one and install my Eminent Tech. 2.5 arm on it. And Stillpoints.
    Yes I would.

Tim

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The DD tables are now pretty much made to order, right? Given the cost of the motor? I gather than since Harry has retired and this is part of "Harry's Workshop" (or whatever it is called), you could spend some time there (good suggestion about visiting) to hear the thing set up on the Avenger- isn't that the skeleton platform that permits multiple arms? I know that for the table I have, a big Kuzma, there is a kit to upgrade the old XL to DC motor, taking a cue from his latest table, and substitutes one DC motor for 4! AC motors.
    Yeah, I think a trip is in order!

10. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

I think I would email or call VPI and see if they'd share their customer list for that TT with you or contact those customers with the DD and see if they'd be willing to talk to you. There can't be more than a small handful of customers that purchased them and hoping any of them are members of this forum is much more of a shot in the dark than contacting VPI directly.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I will say that the printed tonearm is one of the most transparent arms I've ever owned. However because of the extremely low mass you best have a very stead hand when postioning it above the record because it does have a tendency to want to fly out of your hand.

Tullman likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a Prime and I'm sure the motor on the big VPI is MUCH quieter, (VPI cost is $4,000 for the motor) not to mention a far superior plinth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.