VPI Prime Scout or Rega Planar 6 w/Ania?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need professional help -I really do. I thought I knew what I was going to do in terms of a turntable upgrade and now I'm second guessing my decision to go with the Rega/Ania combo. I've been reading threads here and everywhere else all day and night. I've even considered making a complete -U-turn and grabbing a Vinyl Nirvana Thorens but as good as they are I just think the new Rega Planar 6 and VPI Prime Scout will be better in the long run.

I really like the idea of being able to change cartridges on the VPI versus the headache of trying to do that on the Rega. I don't however like the idea that I will need to tinker with the VPI more often than not, or so I am told.

I think sound wise both are probably winners but the VPI seems like more of an end game, "last table I would ever need to buy" type of purchase. I'm not sure I can say that about the Rega.

At this point any advice or help is welcome. The VPI would add about 700.00 to the purchase, but if this is an end game table I'm ok with that. I would probably get more for it on the used market if I did decide to part with it down the road for another upgrade.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It sounds like you would be happier with the VPI. Maybe it’s time to stop looking for answers online and buy the turntable.
    :)

Rickchick, mpayan, H8SLKC and 4 others like this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I vote for the VPI.

Not sure why you'd need to tinker a lot with it. Sure, if you are swapping carts a lot then yes. But otherwise?

I think the unipivot arm will take some getting used to. But people seem to get used to them. I think it will sound better than the Rega and the other advantages you listed are valid as well.

Rickchick, H8SLKC and mike catucci like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I moved to a VPI Classic from a Rega RP6, and I’m glad I did. Not that the Rega was bad at all, but the VPI was just more solid all the way around. One thing though, changing a cartridge on a Rega is very easy. There just isn’t as many fine adjustments you can make.

mike catucci likes this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I don't know if it helps you, but I have to say (even as a long term Rega fan - 35 year old RP3) that if the difference is only $700 the VPI looks a much better price buy over in the US. A VPI Prime Scout (imported) costs around £2650 here whereas the new Rega Planar 6 with Ania and PSU (made in the UK) is "only" £1450, a difference of probably $1600. So over here the Rega is at a totally different price point and a great buy for the money. The VPI rightly or wrongly is seen as a higher end deck here, and would be compared with something like the Rega RP8 not the 6. Aesthetically, I much prefer the design of the Rega, but over in the US "sound wise" the VPI seems a more attractive financial proposition.

Kt88 on this Forum is your US Rega expert !

6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is a great point that I've been reading out more and more it seems. If two tables are at the same price point, but one is in your native country and the other is foreign, it just seems like the domestic product is normally the better buy. I think it's a good thing overall, means there are plenty of quality options on the market for those in the UK and US.

mike catucci likes this.
  7. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

ok, time for my 2 cents. First, I just bought a VPI Prime Scout last week from Music Direct, came from a pro-ject DC. I was on the fence with a Clearaudio Concept. obviously I chose the VPI. Second, I'm not sure what in the hell would need to be fiddled with on the VPI. Set it up, your done. period, end of story. As for the uni-pivot - I'm still not used to the damn thing but getting better at it.

Now, from what i can tell, the Rega Planar 6 Ania is $2200. And the VPI Prime Scout is...$2200. I don't know crap about Rega but I'm guessing the Ania is the cart - and the VPI doesn't come with one - so there's your moolah difference I assume. I would go VPI - extremely solidly built, it's just amazing.

And now for the interesting part - maybe - call music direct - see if they have a 2016 VPI Prime Scout B Stock left - I say that because that's what I got - VPI outfitted the B stock with the exact same specs as the 2017 other than the shape of the table - and who gives a darn? you really need the curved table? the B stock was $1749 - big savings and on top of that, I got 15% off that, so I was out the door at $1486 plus tax because I'm local. Call Bes at Music Direct and ask him all these questions, he's awesome.

Oh, and not sure about the Rega but if you want a dust cover for the VPI - gonna run ya about $300 extra.

Like I said, just my 2 cents

mike catucci likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The on-the-fly VTA adjustment has been invaluable to me. I like the decoupled motor as well and how a non-tech can perform the replacements/upgrades most of the time.

9. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

Prime. Scout. Period.

Rickchick, McGuy and mike catucci like this.
  10. mike catucci

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to decide. I understand what your saying about the price of the tables here and over in Europe but I'm not sure how heavy a factor that is when it comes to the actual quality....After everything I've read it seems the new P6 and the Scout Prime would be a little closes than that.

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

It's choosing between awesome and awesome. Pick one and go. Both awesome, albeit in different ways.

12. McGuy

you probably can't go wrong with either but the tonearm on the VPI is really amazing. It's a beast of a turntable

Jrr and mike catucci like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Sounds like you'll second-guess yourself no matter what. I know it's a big purchase but nothing anybody says on this forum will ever push you to take action.

If you order from a reputable dealer, you can return whichever turntable you opt to get if it doesn't make you happy. Jump in with both feet without any fear.

displayname and mike catucci like this.
  14. mike catucci

I use GoldPrint, he's a member here and is awesome to deal with. And you are right, I will second guess myself even after the table is here and my jaw is on the floor from the amazing sound ;-)
    I just watched a video on Youtube and the guy seems to be well liked with lots of hi end review. He mentioned all the Rega's hum when you turn the volume up to very loud. That has me a bit turned off. I'm also not real good with my hands and I'm told the VPI is a turntable that has to be cared for and fiddled with constantly.

H8SLKC likes this.
  15. Bob_in_OKC

The amount of incorrect information on YouTube is extensive, to say the least.

16. Strat-Mangler

That's pretty much wrong on all counts. Regas can be grounded internally, worst-case scenario. My VPI has been trouble-free once configured.

The Internet is the biggest source of info but also of misinformation ever created. I know your type. You overanalyze and will read until your eyes bleed and still second-guess your decision, no matter what it is. Try to fight your instincts and just pick a good dealer with a generous return policy and then take the plunge with one or the other.

There's really nothing more that needs to be said, here. Pick one and return it if it doesn't knock your socks off. Then, go for the other one. It's that simple, really.

Jrr, J.D.80, mike catucci and 6 others like this.
  17. McGuy

See above!

mike catucci and Strat-Mangler like this.
  18. mike catucci

Well in any event I'm leaning towards the VPI Prime Scout now with the black quintet cartriedge.

Damn....you nailed me to a tee. Did you talk to my wife before posting this? :)

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  19. Bob_in_OKC

I’m not surprised. If someone directed this question to me, I’d answer like I did in post #2. I have no interest whatsoever in influencing anyone in favor of Rega.

Without in any way trying to influence you or anyone else to buy a Rega of any model, I will clarify that I believe much of the online information about Rega turntables is incorrect and simply perpetuated by people with no actual experience with them.

Mazzy and Morbius like this.
  20. missan

missan Forum Resident

There are of course many other TTs, and they also will look good.

Davey and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  21. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Indeed. That Rega doesn’t conform to standard cartridge heights is a deal killer. They are fun tables though - just not anywhere near their high end price tags!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. mike catucci

This is starting to weigh on me as well. I didn't give much thought to whole price thing but it seems it does have some validity. If that table is so much cheaper in Europe why am I paying a premium for it here. Seems bang for the buck goes to the Prime Scout.

displayname likes this.
  23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It's largely because of international trade - shipping costs, import duties, exchange rates. We used to get nearly $1.7 for every £1, but it's now only £1.3 for us. So the Rega has lower costs over here; the VPI is relative more expensive because we get fewer $ for our £. In simple terms, it's more expensive for us Brits to visit the US, and cheaper for you to come here. Over here I would get the Rega, because it's relatively much cheaper.

displayname, beowulf and mike catucci like this.
  24. mike catucci

Thanks for that explanation. So in terms of quality the argument that one is hands down better than the other based on cost holds no water?

25. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Well you’ve got foreign currency conversions plus a distributor taking a chunk of the profit. Rega is hardly a global enterprise so they need the help of localized distribution and sales. But that does come at a cost to the consumer.

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.