VPI Prime Scout or Rega Planar 6 w/Ania?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Best bet is to search these forums and tally the common Rega issues vs the common VPI. Both have their issues and better options are available for either.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

After you tally up the issues with the VPI and the Rega, you could put the winner against that new Technics.

displayname likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Another $2/100-
    Been reading about turntable options and like to hear about experiences as much as possible before buying (much appreciated to all who have helped so far).
    My VPI traveler occasionally sounds "tired" on certain recordings so I want to make sure my next turntable avoids this at all costs.
    I don't know if it's the mat, the speed control or the table's rich sounding nature (or all three).

Rega tables would seem to cure those ills by their reputation but I do not trust the sound of the Rega cartridges and feel the lack of adjustment on the tonearm limits cartridge choices. I envision trying many cartridges down the road and the flexibility of the tonearm to allow this is a must for me. I also read a report on AG that an RP8 foam core plinth started warping / sagging. Not a good sign.

Slightly gun shy about the prime or prime scout because it may have the VPI sound and have read that people with those tables still wish to add speed control.

Right now the new Technics tables are the front runners because they sound lively and energetic and allow the most versatility for adding new cartridge options. Kind of a shame because I love the style of the VPI tables and the Rega RP8.

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  4. The RP 8 would be my choice for a new table if I was in the market. I’ve never seen or heard of a warping issue. If there was an isolated case they wound swap it out for you.

I do like the dead silence of Regas. .

5. avanti1960

who would do the swapping and after how long? the owner on AG said it is nearly a year old.
    Dose your Rega rp8 sagging issues | Audiogon Discussion Forum

6. avanti1960

To the OP, the P6 plinth has more mass and structure than the RP 8 so sagging should be no issue. Possibly get a great deal on the Rega RP 6?

7. The distributor would if it were something that was a manufacturing defect.

I have found that if a product of a substantial price point goes bad, even out of warranty, you can get a satisfsctory replacement if you are tactful and smart. Not talking normal wear and tear.

Document the problem and be polite.

I had an Audi have a major issue two years after warranty expired. After several times in the shop with the dealer, I contacted Audi of America. After a bit of time and them looking at the issues that were un fixable, they did a buy back and offered me a good price on a new car

They took care of me and I bought two more Audis after that over a few years.

The Sound Organization and Rega would make things right if their table did something crazy that wasn’t caused by owner mistreatment. I believe this.

SandAndGlass and avanti1960 like this.
  8. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Regarding the speed control, are you referring to the ADS and SDS systems for the VPI? I can tell you that just using an RPM app, which may or may not be the best judge, I'm getting 33.46. I can live with that.

9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Don't know how accurate the app is, but you can probably slow it down a touch by moving the motor out further, reducing the belt thickness.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Had my RP8 for around a year with no issues and the Apheta2 is a great cart.
    I just sit back and listen to the music. :bdance:
    The best way to choose is to audition and let your ears decide ;)

displayname and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  11. McGuy

just tried that, didn't change a thing. kinda weird.

12. Davey

Yea, with the round belt and big motor pulley it is a much less dramatic change than with a thin flat belt on a small pulley. I don't get much change on my Clearaudio with the round silicone belt driving the outside of the platter either. Some of the VPIs have a motor pulley with a series of diameters cut into the pulley to adjust speed, maybe the Prime?

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Like I said... I know the type. :D

I've learned to stop engaging and to boil conundrums down to their bare essence. All joking aside, you can't lose because you can always return. I'd understand more if you were taking a chance on a used unit from CraigsList.

mike catucci likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Which VPI do you have and how come you didn't update your profile? :D

McGuy likes this.
  15. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

VPI Scout.

16. McGuy

never even thought about that! will do. VPI Prime Scout 2016 B Stock Version. Just updated the profile. thanks for the heads up

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

With VPI's, the notch with the most stability on the motor's hinge is the very top one. Use that one, then put your phone in the middle of turntable (I use an upside-down box to accomplish that) and turn it on, then pull your motor away from the turntable while it spins until you see 33.3. Keep in mind it takes about 10 secs for my Prime's motor to stabilize after being initialized.

I ended up with a rather stupid looking gap but I had perfect 33.3rpm.

18. McGuy

notch? i'll have to look. and I think the app works too quickly to give me 10 seconds!

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have you checked your anti skate recently on your VPI? I mention this because I experience a curious phenomena on my Linn LP 12. If my anti skate is set a little too low my turntable can sound a bit tired. If it's set a bit too high then it's off to the races. I've had to go back and forth to get to a sweet spot.
    Not sure if this is applicable at all to a VPI but thought I'd mention it.

20. Davey

That's the truth, and many of them perform quite well too, that $2000 range is pretty competitive now, though Rega and VPI are very popular around here.

If you want another one to add to the mix, there is a PA dealer ad for a practically new Acoustic Signature Primus with the TA-500 tonearm on USAM today for $1475, including a new Ortofon Red (not much of a bonus, maybe they could upgrade it to something else). This is their entry level model, but still a very nice table ... there's a couple Acoustic Signature owners around here ...

[​IMG]

Acoustic Signature Primus

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    avanti1960 likes this.
  21. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Yes, I anticipate much debate on this for years to come.

22. avanti1960

yeah, acoustic sig is on my radar too. the wow XXL in silver with the carbon fiber TA1000 arm looks amazing.

23. avanti1960

thank you for the suggestion. my table does not have anti skating though. i'm starting to wonder if the anemic sound is due to the recording. i just played some of my reference LPs and man, they sound great.

24. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

We hope to have you join the VPI family, we have stepped up our tables since the Traveler, that was my first go at turntable design so I had to cut my teeth a bit :p That is no take away form the Traveler, but you can see the evolution of designs since then. When someone has a VPI they are part of the family, we are sometimes a wacky family and we are not perfect/we are human, but we always try!

That being said, Rega is a fantastic brand and on the list of tables we recommend if someone is not going the VPI route... seriously, no Jedi mind tricks. There are a lot of brands that are jumping on the turntable bandwagon because it is hot at the moment, but will disappear when the going gets tough. As long as you get a brand that will be around for the long hall and keep you spinning and serviced 10, 20, 30 years from now than it is the right brand for you! All turntables (VPI, Rega, [insert turntable brand name here]) has their own engineering philosophy and sonic signature but the important thing is having a table by a brand that will still be around if/when turntables aren't as much of a hot item again.

(sorry that ended up being a bit longer than I expected!)

-Mat

25. All this is so subjective, right ? Sound is the main thing but we all have a different aesthetics which matters to some. Plus there are many options along with what we connect a table to- always so different.

All these tables a great. Just depends on your taste and how much you want to futz with it. .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    vpiindustries likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.