VPI Prime Scout or Rega Planar 6 w/Ania?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seems like a good choice. That table will allow you to go straight to musical enjoyment with little futzing around.

2. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I'm sure you will enjoy whichever table you decide on. They're all good.

3. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

yes is why I bought the scout it upgradable...enjoy your fine TT

mike catucci likes this.
  4. McGuy

Me too.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Don't sell the Traveler short! .... mine (last gen- iii? ) with an Audio-Technica ART9 sounds better than the new P6 with Ania. Better speed stability, freedom from distortion / edginess, extension at both ends as well as more refinement and transparency.
    Granted the Ania was new and probably under valued compared to the Audio-Technica but still- the fact that it would take a Rega RP8 (twice the retail price) to beat the Traveler is quite an achievement!

Can't imagine how good the Prime Scout must sound - Stereophile's product of the year.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. [Analogue33]

[Analogue33] New Member

hello folks,
    i too am researching these tt's. when searching for a VPI Scout used, the prices are pretty high with minimal upgrades. do they hold their value that well or are some people being too optimistic?i thought i could get a used Scout and save some cash. but if used prices are like this i makes more sense to buy the latest for $2200.

for example; on audiogon right now. i know its a $750 cart but this still seems high considering a new prime is $2200.
    VPI Scout w/JMW-9 Signature Arm, Ortofon Black Cartridge and Acrylic Cover. $2200
    VPI Scout Turntable w/JMW-9 Signature Arm, Ortofon Black Cartridge and Acrylic Cover. | Turntables | Tucson, Arizona 85730 | Audiogon

and on ebay; listing says "upgrades" but there's none in the description other than the tonearm. weren't these discontinued years ago? this seems very high.
    VPI Scoutmaster JMW-9 Signature Nordost wired Tonearm and upgrades $2250
    VPI Scoutmaster JMW-9 Signature Nordost wired Tonearm and upgrades | eBay

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Go on eBay, do a search for each and tick on "Sold listings". That'll show you the prices they sold for. You can make a decision based on that if resale value plays an important role.

8. [Analogue33]

[Analogue33] New Member

duh...should have thought about that. thanks! i'm not too concerned with the resale value, just wondering getting used over new.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

There's a used VPI Scout with Clearaudio Maestro V2 MM cartridge and SDS controller on USAM listed today in NH for $1700. Another older listing in TX for $1400 OBO. Just fyi, no connections.

500Homeruns likes this.
  10. [Analogue33]

[Analogue33] New Member

thanks Davey! yeah i saw those listings. i'm a bit tentative as i've never bought anything from USAM. the seller with the maestro doesn't have any ratings. and the one from TX doesn't have any seller rating on ebay or USAM.

have you had experience with USAM?

11. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, I've bought a few things via USAM (my username is Slider), all very good transactions, but it's really just about the person, not the site. I generally just strike up a friendly and respectful conversation and make an offer I'm comfortable with if I like the person, and their answers to my questions. But don't do anything YOU aren't comfortable with.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    [Analogue33] likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

USAM, eBay, Audiogon, here,... it's all the same in the same that as long as you use PayPal and go with a seller with a good reputation, you should get what you paid for.

There's also the Marantz TT15S1 which is a great bang-for-the-buck TT, IMHO. If you're planning on going with either Rega or VPI though, there are still plenty of choices. :)

[Analogue33] likes this.
  13. Why do we really care if a table holds its value? My RP6 is almost four years old , I’ve made some upgrades and I enjoy playing records on it. With about 4000 hours of use , I feel I already have gotten value from it.

Has it held value ? Even if I got half of what I paid toward an eventual upgrade I’d be satisfied.

andybeau likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Some brands do retain their resale value better than others. McIntosh is a good example of one that always has high resale value. Buying from lesser-known brands or even certain models from well-known brands might translate into taking a big hit if/when the time comes to sell.

It's a fair question to ask as the difference could mean hundreds or thousands, depending on the brand and model. And that's certainly money that I'd appreciate not having to wait to re-save if it can be avoided.

I can only speak for myself but as a Canadian, most of the equipment will inevitably be imported from elsewhere in most cases. That translates into 20% or higher prices than what you pay for US brands. Due to that, I've needed to be far more cautious with my purchases and keep resale value in mind as well. That is why I wouldn't be willing to experiment with lesser-known brands. I'd have no idea if I like what I'd hear before forking over all that dough and would be stuck with either a product I can't sell or would take a serious bath on if I do. So the more popular brands are what I tend to stick with as a result.

15. McGuy

Here's the reason why, as I see it, and you do bring up a valid question, but a lot if not most of us get upgrade-itis. And it's always nice to know that certain brands hold their value more than others in the event we trade up. I'm still seeing older models of VPI Scouts that are selling for more than the new models. Now that could be because maybe people prefer the acrylic platter to the new aluminum one, otherwise I have no idea why they'd pay more for an older table.

16. Yeah I get all that. I’m aware of some brands of any type of product) eetauning value but if I get years of use and satisfaction then I’m good.

But of course I’d love to get 75% of what I originally paid many years later.

17. Got it. In my lifetime I’ve been upgrading about every 15 plus years with gear so I feel I get my money’s worth. In spades.

SandAndGlass and Eigenvector like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Maybe it's a loud minority but I don't get the impression that slow an upgrade cycle is what most members go through.

Glad it worked out for you so far, though. I do believe my VPI Prime will be my last turntable so I guess I'll have to get back to you in 15. :D

19. Of course forum members here are not representative of the majority of civilians . Many folks here are into regular gear changes and upgrades. Searching for nirvana ( not the band). That’s a valid hobby.

Others like me have an emphasis on the music as Records CDs digital files etc. And I’m not saying that gear heads don’t care about music. Just a different emphasis.

mikedifr0923, Art K and psulioninks like this.
  20. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

That is why this forum is such an asset to the Internet...such a wealth of information about both music and equipment. :righton:

21. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

WOW!! That is the absolute coolest just completely awesome post I've ever read by a manufacturer, and from of one of the best vinyl spinning companies ever. Kudos Mat!
    BTW, my gearhead pal recently got a new VPI Prime and it's beyond amazing and the sounds it pulls from the grooves has me all up in arms to get something as close to as resolving of details as possible. I thought I was hearing most of what analog has to offer with my own modest setup but, compared to the Prime I was hearing nothing. Whether I end up with a VPI or an RP8 or something else, the important thing is the VPI products quality has prompted me to upgrade as far as possible my analog rig. Thank you!

22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m thinking about my system and how to upgrade. I’ve gotten everything I can out of my entry level project table and thinking I need to be in the $1000 range (which is an out of reach stretch I need to really save for), but i know I’ll be disappointed with anything else. The noise floor, lack of deep black silence and limited soundstage are kind of frustrating me. I was leaning towards a Rega, but based on this thread think I might need to up the budget and go VPI. Customer service, accountability and longevity are become more and more important to me, and I have to say Matt’s post and everyone’s comments about them standing behind their product really impress me and are swaying me.

mike catucci likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

If you're thinking of a VPI, you'll need more than 1K, even if you buy used, unless it's a Nomad/Traveler and even then, you'd need a cart capable of getting as much as possible out of your higher-end turntable.

Look on different websites for pricing to get a solid idea of what you'll need to save up for, solid cart included.

mike catucci likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I used to see Scouts all day long for $1000. Is that not the case any longer?

25. No. At 3:30pm they go up in price. :tiphat:

macster and Synthfreek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.