VPI Scout Jr vs Rega Planar 6 vs Scout

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by [Analogue33], Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Analogue33]

[Analogue33] New Member Thread Starter

hello,

this is my first post :)
    my original budget was/is $1600. i was looking at the thread called "VPI Prime Scout or Rega Planar 6 w/Ania?" it made me want to increase my budget $600 to get the Prime! but i'd like to stay under the $1600 mark.

so it got me searching VPI and saw the Scout jr.

is the Scout jr a better TT than the planar 6?
    is the Scout jr upgradeable?
    i saw a used Scoutmaster that's around 9 years old. but i'm wondering how the motors hold up over time?
    would the motor on a 9 year old Scoutmaster still be solid?

and finally is the sound quality of the Scout and Prime a big leap from the Jr? i know there is no uni-pivot arm and the motor isn't isolated.

thanks for your time.
    russ

2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

For your budget, a VPI Prime Scout would be ideal IMO. I would recommend calling Seth at Sound Stage Direct to discuss...he sometimes has goodies around to recommend, like a special edition with rare features, or perhaps a "B Stock" table, which are just (usually) very minor cosmetic issues...a small speck here or there that doesn't meet their usual high standards. The savings can be considerable. SSD also has an aggressive upgrade policy, should you want to move up the line later. I'm on my third VPI table, and I love them. I've met Mat and Harry on numerous occasions, and I've been to their shop. It is truly a family-owned small business, and their shop truly makes everything by hand. It is great to see skilled artisans build these tables, and in NJ. They sound amazing.

Nothing wrong with the Scout Jr, but the Prime and Prime Scout are the "new generation" of tables for VPI and offer a significant jump forward in sound quality.

Rickchick and [Analogue33] like this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I moved from a P3 to a Scout Jr. and am very happy with the move. IMO the Jr. is a significantly better sounding and better built machine.

A P3 is not a P6 though. I really can't comment on how big a move up (or not) a Scout Jr. is from a P6 though I tend to think a lot of the improvement in build at the very least is still there when compared to a P6. I much prefer the isolated motor, platter drive (as opposed to subplatter drive), and adjustable feet of the VPI.

And yes, the Scout Jr. is upgradable to a Scout level table. I believe the upgrades are pricey and I doubt I'll ever go down that path. Never say never though. If you plan to gradually upgrade over time then this is another bonus of the VPI.

All that said, I definitely recommend the Jr. but I don't doubt that the Prime and Prime Scout are probably better tables and may make more sense at their price points. Generally you should buy the best that you can afford to ensure long-term satisfaction. So it all depends how comfortable you are going over budget. For me the Jr. was the most I wanted to spend, and for the price I think I did as well as I could have...and well enough that I doubt I'll ever replace the table with something else.

Rickchick and [Analogue33] like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

[Analogue33] and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Scout Jr was a fun table. Very easy to use with the gimbaled arm.

As to the Scout Jr versus the P6, both are good options and each has it's own individual benefits. Do you have an idea as to what cartridge you would want to run?

There are some great deals on preowned VPI's out there. I just yesterday received a really nice Scout 2 in on trade (with the upgraded, thicker aluminum platter) that would come in under your desired price point.

[Analogue33] likes this.
  7. [Analogue33]

Problems solved! i chose express saver delivery. :wiggle:
    i'm so stoked. i wish i could drive to Chicago right now and pick it up myself.
    my trusty SL1200mk2 will be very jealous. will be keeping her for the older less pristine vinyl. and i won't mind my 7 year old daughter using the 1200 and getting her started on analog path.

FYI, i will using an Art 9 cart with a Phonomena ll+

thanks for chiming in drew769, Dream On, start-mangler and 500homeruns!

Strat-Mangler, trd and 500Homeruns like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

From what I read, the ART9 is very finicky about calibration so even though you'll likely want to spin LPs ASAP, slow down and try to get the calibration done as perfectly as humanly possible.

And congrats! Don't forget to let us know how it sounds compared to your Technics. I love reading reviews.

[Analogue33] and 500Homeruns like this.
  9. [Analogue33]

hi @Stra-Mangler , thanks for the advice! i'll keep that in mind for sure.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.