VPI Scout Set-up - Any Videos Around?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bresna, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bresna

bresna Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone here, I think I am closer. I am especially grateful for that link to the JMW-9T tonearm manual. Why on earth isn't all this information in the turntable manual?? It's very interesting to see that the JMW-9T manual recommends adjusting the Azimuth using the Azimuth Ring whereas the Scout manual only mentions the counterweight. Why is that? And lo & behold, the tonearm manual actually shows you how to set up the anti-skate! Wow.

BTW, the biggest problem I had last night was that no matter what I did, I could not get the V-groove of the alignment jig short enough to get it up against the pivot point (which is what I was guessing was the "male bearing shaft"). It makes me wonder if the Scout SE can't use this alignment jig.

With these new pictures (Thanks, macster!) plus the addition of the tonearm manual, I will try again tomorrow.

I'm also planning to call Music Direct today and buy a Soundsmith Counterintuitive. It looks like it make this a lot easier. While I'm at it, is the 300 rpm motor a significant upgrade?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Can you post a picture of your attempt to get the alignment jig in place?

I can't imagine a reason the jig wouldn't work as the the pivot to spindle distance should be the same no matter what table the JWM9T is on as my understanding is that distance is based solely on the tonearm not the deck.

macster likes this.
  3. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. RE"Soundsmith Counterintuitive" IMHO: I don't think that you need it. Use a ruler with SAE and Metric scales. Stand it up on the short end with the metric scale toward the azimuth bar on side of the head shell and then the other. Compare the two measurements and adjust as required. Once you get the hang of it, you can adjust the azimuth in about two minutes. All you are after is parallel distances or an equidistant measurements from a point on the headshell to the surface of the record.

2. RE"V-groove of the alignment jig short" Make sure that the "V" is on the inside of the gauge as pictured otherwise it is a pain to get it work properly. FYI, are you adjusting the alignment gauge by loosening the two screws?

3. RE"is the 300 rpm motor a significant upgrade?" It depends on what the term significant means to you. Having said that I purchased one for my Classic one and loved it. For the life of me I can't tell you what it did, other than it ran quieter and I found listening to be a more enjoyable experience. Bottom line buy it, IMHO it's a very good value for the money. Also, they come stock with the Aries 3
    Just my opinions which are based on my experience.

Also, some random thoughts, at first the manual made very little sense to me because I was excited to get it up and running. But now after having read it a number of times, it's pretty darn good, for someone who has setup a turntable before. But IMHO not so good for someone who has very little experience at setting up turntables.

Good luck with this.

M~

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I really like the Counterintuitive myself. Very quick and easy fine tuning of azimuth and tracking force.

5. bresna

My alignment jig doesn't fit. I've attached some pictures. The first one is the jig with the v-groove adjusted all the way in and up against the pivot. The second is with the v-groove removed and the third shows how far it is off. P2020031.JPG P2020032.JPG P2020033.JPG

6. bresna

Now I'm really worried here. It looks like the distance between the pivot and spindle on my Scout SE is about an inch or so too short. I am now wondering if I can even get this set up the way it's supposed to be set up. My stylus will be too far out into the record, right?

It looks like I might have to call VPI tomorrow.

7. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

IMAG0002.jpg IMAG0005.jpg IMAG0002.jpg

This is what mine looks like. It's hard to tell from pictures but it looks like either you are using the jig wrong or it's to big (I don't know if they provide different jigs for different arms) I can measure my jig later if that would help you.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Temporary/interim solution. Take a piece of stiff paper stock and trace the moveable "V" shape on it. (A template if you will) Cut out the shape and punch out the hole on the bearing end so that it will mount over the bearing. Next cut off the end of the template that is toward the spindle until the entire jig assy fits. You can fasten the template to the jig with either tape or you can use the screws. We've used this method a zillion times to refabricate templates in "duh" situtations.

M~

9. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here is what I was trying to describe.

[​IMG]

I can make an audiophile version of this out of Audiophile directional paper for $500.00.

M~

10. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I'm sure you ended up with the wrong jig. It would seem likely that Music direct can replace it if not VPI. Although it looks to me like the smaller part could be cut say about an inch off the slotted side if, never mind after looking closer it looks to me you definitely got the wrong jig. Mine looks more like KOWHeigel's you can tell yours has more of a channel that the "B" part of the jig slides back an forth. For all we know the grid will also be wrong.

11. bresna

I heard back from VPI via E-mail this morning. Apparently, they sent me the wrong jig. I have the 10 inch jig and need the 9 inch one. I assume that they will send the right one immediately.

BTW, there is nothing in their documentation about whether or not I should attach the green wire to the ground terminal or not.

The current on line Scout 1.1 manual is not the same as the manual they sent with mine. The on line manual has a picture of the anti-skate set up. The one they sent me does not.

They did not send me the JMW-9T manual. This would have been a big help. For starters, it has a picture of the alignment jig in place. I would have known that I had a problem from the start.

12. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Sounds like you are getting it sorted out. Dissapointing about the the manual mess up. I have to say I'm surprised by the lack of proper instructions/manuals with many hi-fi products. In this price range a complete, up to date, and accurate manual should be a given. Moreover, improper instructions and vague guidance can lead to disaster in a turntable setup which probably costs manufacturers more money then sending a proper manual in the first place.

13. bresna

The saga continues. Instead of sending me the 9 inch jig, they sent me the v-groove piece from a 9 inch jig. Of course, it doesn't fit in the u-shaped slot on my 10 inch jig. It's about 1 cm too wide. I've tried to contact them again with an e-mail but now their e-mail account appears to be broken or hacked. It bounces all e-mails no matter what account I use.

I may just grind down the one I have but this is extremely frustrating.

14. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I can send you my jig so you can get your arm setup while you wait for VPI to get their "stuff" together. You have a PM.

15. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Wow you just can't win. At least when you get it done you will be an expert installer. Not to mention you will love how it sounds.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  16. bresna

So I ground down the shorter V-groove piece of metal that VPI sent me but now it appears that the jig itself is shorter. What this means is that although I can now get the v-groove up against the pivot, it won't sit flat on the platter. The main part of the jig is hitting the base of the tonearm.

Compare this:
    to this:

In my setup, you can see that the jig is not sitting flat on the platter because it's being held up by the base.

So I just got off the phone with VPI and they are going to send me the 9 inch jig (complete).

This is the longest time I've ever had a new piece of audio gear and not heard it. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My Aries 3 with the JMW 10 tonearm came with a 9" jig. If I hadn't gotten mine 5 years ago I would say they switched ours. ;)

18. musiclandbase

musiclandbase Well-Known Member

Kevin,
    Did you get your cartridge mounted?
    I bought one of the VPI Scout SE TT from MD last summer. Took 3 months to get it. Also had the same problem with the JIG to long??? Told MD about it and they said VPI was going to drop ship me the correct JIG. That was couple months ago. Lucky my oldest son has a VPI Scout and I used his JIG to set my SE up. (Still waiting for the correct JIG) It’s a tight fit getting the V under the bracket that hold the cue device. Then slide it over the spindle into the flat position. It is a lot easier to install the JIG on a thicker platter. The height of the tone arm makes for more room with the thicker platter. This is a sad story for a great TT. One more thing my SE has a clear Acrylic platter, does look black with the record mounted? I had seen the Scout manual before so knew what that was like. Another thing, I am running 2m Black Ortofon cartridge. It sounded very bright with my setup the first 50. Not happy and a Dynavector 10X5 on the way I tried raising the back heal of the 2m Black higher than the front and BOOM there it was and never looked back. I play mostly Rock and it puts a smile on big time! Terry in ND

19. bresna

Terry, I am still waiting for the new jig. I called them and e-mailed them and the word I got was that the person I talked to on the phone left the company (before he could ship my new jig?) and then later I was told that they had the wrong zip code and that I should have it any day. It's pretty terrible customer service for such an expensive turntable. From what you're saying, even the 9 inch jig might now work? Now that would truly suck.

BTW, I have read before that it's better to raise the heel of an Ortofon 2M Black. I will try both ways and see if there's a difference. Be sure to re-check the tracking force after adjusting the VTA though.

20. attym

attym Forum Resident

I always wonder if Ive really set up my scout the right way. Everytime I think Ive figured it out, I read suggestions or instructions that sound nothing like the procedure I did...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.